Hendrix - why so much abuse

Thread starter #1
Thought he was a decent player for us and clearly didn't want to leave always put in a good shift
looked like he didn't want to play against us last night

Temme

Tailgunner said:
Thought he was a decent player for us and clearly didn't want to leave always put in a good shift

I'm guessing you missed much of what went on...

First stoppage in play he wanted to go after Lord - no issue with this, but to no choice a guy and throwing punches with the other guys gloves still on (he got the instigator, but still...) is a little bit classless. Yes there were issues this off season as is well documented but to do that to a guy that treated you like a KING for 2 years when others wanted rid is plain disrespectful - all credit to Lord for knowing he needed to step up to the bat and answer though, despite Hendrikx winning the fight.

And once all this is said and done, a fantastic hockey game ensued, but Hendrikx still refuses to shake Lord's hand at the final whistle.

I have NO time for any player that refuses a handshake at the end of a game. This is not football. Good luck to Braehead with that clown there this year.

If there really was that much bad blood to refuse a handshake - which in my opinion is the worst thing you could do -then Hendrikx should have continued throwing bombs while Lord was down, and maybe taken a match penalty for Butt ending at the same time.

Hendrikx left lord alone for much of the game after this hit, didn't specifically target him, so everyone thought the score was settled. Evidentally not.

Temme

All said and done, I hope that's the end of the problem...

Hendrikx cost his team badly with that instigator penalty though. We scored on the PP and again whilst he was benched for 17 minutes.

Personal vendetta's in hockey always cost the team, typical Finnerty play.

He fought his former boss who let him go this year within a minute of the game. He wasn't allowed to play for nearly a third of the game as he was in the sin bin. He refused to shake Lord's hand. Very, very sad to see a previously well loved player do this but as soon as these sorts of things occur you will lose the support you had very quickly.

I was at the game on Sunday and watched the Hendrickx and Lord incident quite closely as I was sat nearby. On the night I thought Lord struck Hendo first then it kicked off - just watched the Icetime TV highlights and it looks the same to me. I guess these things happen in a split second and I'm looking from behind Lord.

Have Hope#35

kingmo19.2 said:
I was at the game on Sunday and watched the Hendrickx and Lord incident quite closely as I was sat nearby. On the night I thought Lord struck Hendo first then it kicked off - just watched the Icetime TV highlights and it looks the same to me. I guess these things happen in a split second and I'm looking from behind Lord.
Look at the 45secs before Lord raised his stick at the on-rushing Hendrikx... Hendrikx was out to get Lord from second 1, he must have cross checked Lordo a good 3 or 4 times, plus he gave him a couple of digs and then rushed to Lord for a fight once Bordy had started pushing someone behid the net... Yes Lordo raised his stick just before Hendrikx's gloves came off but that would've happened regardless! You need to look at the bigger picture with regard to this incident, Hendrikx acted like a child who didn't get his own way and if he'd been professional he would've probably got a decent reception.

Electro

If Hendrixx was a man, he'd have spoken in private with Lord off ice, there was plenty of time to have an argument in the IAW, if it still warranted a fight, the car park has some secluded areas.

But no, let's fight like girls in front of families, it's the hockey code of conduct.

Sorry no it's not, it's an off ice personal issue, it's probably not the done thing, but I'd fully support the Devils owners and Lord taking this as an assault and getting legal advice this as either criminal or civil offence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo1927

Electro said:
If Hendrixx was a man, he'd have spoken in private with Lord off ice, there was plenty of time to have an argument in the IAW, if it still warranted a fight, the car park has some secluded areas.

But no, let's fight like girls in front of families, it's the hockey code of conduct.

Sorry no it's not, it's an off ice personal issue, it's probably not the done thing, but I'd fully support the Devils owners and Lord taking this as an assault and getting legal advice this as either criminal or civil offence.
With all due respect thats crazy talk. Thats sets a very dangerous precedent. Do we then get Liam Stewart charged for hitting culligan on the head deliberately? Or Mark Louis for going after Stewart? Goes on and on. Lord and Hendrikx has a disagreement then a fight where nobody really got hurt. Hendrikx made a fool of himself by refusing to shake lords hand but nobody truly knows all the reasons why. Hendo was a great servant to the club and a great team mate. He has been replaced by a better player imo. I am sure the issue is over with and Lord certainly didnt seem to hold a grudge when interviewed.

I've read some nonsense on the Inferno regarding Hendrikx, someone even said he wasn't interested in going after the real heavyweights in the league,really! If my memory serves me well he dropped the gloves with Keefe, Morency,Frank,Fitzgerald, Cescon, Westgarth, McIver, Janssen and Nickerson all while wearing a Devils shirt.The respect he deserves for that in my opinion should not be lost because someone is spinning yarns at the Clan. Nobody knows what he was promised except Hendrikx and Lord; and it is clear that their has been either a misunderstanding or one of them has lied, or has sour grapes. I'd cut Hendrikx some slack for now as Lord has said he is open to talks to put his side of the story over. If Hendrikxs is man enough he should take this opportunity to get things off his chest and set the record straight.If all this nonsense continues in the next game then I think it would be open season in regards what Devils fans/players throw at him.

Thread starter #10
Temme said:
Tailgunner said:

First stoppage in play he wanted to go after Lord - no issue with this, but to no choice a guy and throwing punches with the other guys gloves still on (he got the instigator, but still...) is a little bit classless. Yes there were issues this off season as is well documented but to do that to a guy that treated you like a KING for 2 years when others wanted rid is plain disrespectful - all credit to Lord for knowing he needed to step up to the bat and answer though, despite Hendrikx winning the fight.

And once all this is said and done, a fantastic hockey game ensued, but Hendrikx still refuses to shake Lord's hand at the final whistle.

I have NO time for any player that refuses a handshake at the end of a game. This is not football. Good luck to Braehead with that clown there this year.

If there really was that much bad blood to refuse a handshake - which in my opinion is the worst thing you could do -then Hendrikx should have continued throwing bombs while Lord was down, and maybe taken a match penalty for Butt ending at the same time.

Hendrikx left lord alone for much of the game after this hit, didn't specifically target him, so everyone thought the score was settled. Evidentally not.

Thread starter #11
Temme said:
Tailgunner said:

Temme said:
Tailgunner said:

Electro

Ok, can a few people please learn how to insert quotes properly.

Steve King made it quite clear what the situation was, if there was more to it l don't believe Steve would have made those comments publicly.

As for setting a legal precedent, as ludicrous as many within this sport believe, it was, for me clear premeditated assault. It could be argued that in the heat of the game a knee jerk response could be defended. Had Hendrix been on the ice for most of the game against Lord, giving pokes etc etc and eventually a fight occurred ,maybe it could be defended. It was clear that Hendrix intentionally provoked Lord, the fight was inevitable from the beginning of the game, for me that's the difference.

Luckily nobody got injured, but you cannot always guarantee that both participants will use limited force, it could have resulted in an injury, potentially serious.

I'm well aware that it's unlikely to happen, I am surprised the Department Of Player Safety though hasn't intervened, at least spoken to both clubs concerning it.

Potentially you have children watching this and parents explaining that it's not acceptable to beat your boss up, maybe some can justify that logic.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

God this is so boring, we will be banning players swearing next, especially if it's premeditated swearing. Lots of fights have happened straight from the face off, it won't be long before you can't touch a player, like those soccer pussies rolling around like they just got pole axed. I have seen Devils players go straight for opposing players in the past, should we have called the police then, or sent them to the naughty corner.

Electro

God this is so boring, we will be banning players swearing next, especially if it's premeditated swearing. Lots of fights have happened straight from the face off, it won't be long before you can't touch a player, like those soccer pussies rolling around like they just got pole axed. I have seen Devils players go straight for opposing players in the past, should we have called the police then, or sent them to the naughty corner.
Oh wannabe2, your missing the elephant in the room, again.

Devil_Abroad

I am not having a go here, we all have different views.

Are you arguing for players fighting on the ice for any reason? So if a player heard a rumour (that is something said without grounds) that caused them to be angry (it is an emotion we sometimes can't control) they should be allowed to attack that player but only on the ice?

How far do we go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

I am not having a go here, we all have different views.

Are you arguing for players fighting on the ice for any reason? So if a player heard a rumour (that is something said without grounds) that caused them to be angry (it is an emotion we sometimes can't control) they should be allowed to attack that player but only on the ice?

How far do we go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No mate, not at all, I love the beautiful game that is hockey, but calling the police etc come on. I love the physicality of our sport, and a tilt is always good, but so is a goal you would die for, a pass that has you wetting yourself, a save that takes the wind out of your sails, a tic tac toe that gives the goosebumps, and all the other things that makes this sport the greatest sport on our planet. We obviously need to keep within the rules, and quite rightly so, but running off to tell Dad don't think so.

Devil_Abroad

No mate, not at all, I love the beautiful game that is hockey, but calling the police etc come on. I love the physicality of our sport, and a tilt is always good, but so is a goal you would die for, a pass that has you wetting yourself, a save that takes the wind out of your sails, a tic tac toe that gives the goosebumps, and all the other things that makes this sport the greatest sport on our planet. We obviously need to keep within the rules, and quite rightly so, but running off to tell Dad don't think so.
Ah sorry, didn't realise the posts had gone to calling the police.

I love the sport. I understand all you've said. There was a time years ago when I also looked forward to 'tilts' too. Though personally I now struggle with that side of the game - violence, but that's my present struggle.

I know players would be tempted to try underhand tactics to get an edge, more so if there wasn't the threat of being called out on it on the ice - so I understand the need for players to be held to account. I think it will be interesting to see whether the NHL and AHL will have to deal wth such incidents if they increase due to the direction they've decided to take with fighting. Personally, I think they will find it hard.

Electro

What if Lord suffered the injury Tyson did or worse.

It's not the playground. Yes it is a physical sport, with risks, should we remove all the protection players wear, no, risks are now managed. Players have the right to safety, DOPS, referees etc etc.

Their at a place of work and have employee rights, fighting is already assessed and managed to reduce the risk of injury via the rules, those regulations, in my opinion should if not already included, extend to include an assessment of the cause of the incident.