Have we out performed the Steelers?

TheStub

Thread starter #1
I was thinking back on the season yesterday. It certainly has been a strange year, but if anyone had offered me 4th and at least 2 semi finals after the summer, I'd have gladly taken that.

Comparing us to the team who went through the same summer upheaval, where do we stack up against them?

Yes, they got second - but only our poor OT/Penalty record held us in 4th. We weren't stupidly out of touch.

We got through the group stages of the CC whilst Steelers were left to concentrate on the league.

Finally we have made it to our 9th straight Playoff semi final. Again, the Steelers haven't managed that final push.

I don't know if we have it in us to lift the trophy this weekend (head says no, heart says yes) - but certainly I feel we have edged the Steelers in the success stakes.

Have we out performed the Steelers?

Short answer - Yes

Long answer - YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Success means different things to different people. Have I enjoyed what the Devils have achieved this season? Yes
Have I been entertained? Yes
Do I think the Devils could/should have achieved better results in the league? Quite possibly given the injuries we have suffered, most definitely had we not had the injuries to contend with
Do I feel positive about what the future holds for the Devils? Yes
Am I coming back for more next season? You bet your sweet life I am

Would I have been as positive with my answers if I wore glasses tinged with teal and tangerine - no, I don't get entertained by watching their style of play. I am guessing many others feel the same way given their average attendances in the house of rust are reputedly falling.

drainage

My first thought is we out performed my expectations - after last summer I feared the worst.

On reflection pound for pound yes I think we did ...... lower budget, bad injuries run etc all conspired against us but there have been times when they just dug in and got on with it.

Couple of poor games to be honest but overall I think we have a lot to be grateful for , a lot of pride to take out of this season and a lot of players to try and keep !

Will I be back for more - bet your bottom dollar I will
Am I glad we are going to NIC even if its to face the league champs - couldnt be happier
Am I praying for a double or triple header to Scotland next season - too flipping right I am !
Am I glad I am not a Steeler - well frankly that goes without saying !!!
Do I think the Steelers have some troubles ahead - yes but the league would be a poorer place with out them

Life looks a sight rosier than it did 8 - 10 months ago for me and long may it continue.

Finny

With the budget they were given, Sheffield should have comfortably outperformed us.

Some people could argue though that a 2nd place league finish is better than a 4th place and 2 cup semi-finals.

When taking into account the respected budgets though, there can be no doubt that G has massively outperformed Finnerty.

DevilDom

I think in terms of expectations we have.

At the start of the season most Devils fans were happy to have a team and expected a mid table finish and hoped we may be able to have a run in one of the cup comps. We finished above mid table and have had a run in both cup comps.

At the start of the season most Steelers fans expected at least 1 trophy. They have none.

On this basis we have outperformed the Steelers.

osh

Have we out performed the Steelers? Not too sure really, but........

As our season continues on to the play offs, all I can really say about the Steelers season is......

WHOOSH IT'S BEHIND YOU! :lol: : :D :lol:

TheStub

Thread starter #10
If I'm honest, this thread is more of a philosophical debate about "what constitutes success, and how can you equate differing achievement".

Gazza is probably right. We are about even over the whole season. Steelers have been more consistent, but we have managed to come big at important times (which the Steelers have failed at repeatedly). We've done well considering the budget and management struggles we have faced.

Here's hoping that we have a good summer, and the season ticket monies will allow a bigger budget and can build on this season - it would nice to build heading into the new building, rather than coast until the building is ready.

jimmy snels

TheStub said:
If I'm honest, this thread is more of a philosophical debate about "what constitutes success, and how can you equate differing achievement".

Gazza is probably right. We are about even over the whole season. Steelers have been more consistent, but we have managed to come big at important times (which the Steelers have failed at repeatedly). We've done well considering the budget and management struggles we have faced.

Here's hoping that we have a good summer, and the season ticket monies will allow a bigger budget and can build on this season - it would nice to build heading into the new building, rather than coast until the building is ready.
with regards to this lower budget we have been missing probably 30% of it through it sitting in the stands!

i think we've done well considering but i guess it means nothing now, its all about 2 huge games and who's got the biggest kahoooooooooonas not whos got the most money!

id like to think that with the improved budget G was promised this summer we might be plesently suprised :D

I don't think the budget will be as promised in the fans forum next year. Paul Ragan said on Twitter that our budget would have to reflect the extra year in the Tent.