Have the elite league lost the point?

Thread starter #1
Ok is it just me, this year seems to be the best year the elite league can actually push the entertainment value of the teams. given the fact that we can have an extra import slot, most teams(all) have got at least one enforcer. in my opinion this is great love to see a great fight! so not only pushing a fast skilful game but a hard exciting side to it, it could really push attendance figures up, just look at our seasoin ticket sales (the signing of voth again must have helped).
And what do the league do they add a sutpid rule into the game, after only seeing one preseason game i am left thinking have we all wasted money on a big guy? but wait our two enforcers did not even fight!!! Max ok did start the fight but after what was a really bad hit that just at the start of the game we got a 2 plus 10 for, so after max stick's up for his team mate he gets 5 for fighting, 2 plus 10 for instigating. ok i can see the point in the 2 mins iof it a big guy against a little skill guy but 2 plus 10 for doing what you are getting paid for and for what will bring seats to bums. then fin gets into what seemed like a hug then him beating on a blaze guy again gets 2 plus 10!!!! WHY THE HELL
i mean ok the fights of the face off are sometimes no point unless is it sharp at the other end but come on at some point everyone is waiting to see sawyer take of his helmet gloves and dance with the bigs boys but with one of them getting 2 plus 10 the coaches are not gonna be happy about it,
So comes to my point HAVE THE LEAGUE GONE TOO FAR??

I think the rule is stop teams gooning it up so to speak and delibrately(sp) target players, if 2 guys say Sawyer and Hoffman both drop the gloves together then no additional penaly will be called.

It happened to Blaze against the Giants midweek, Gleed laid a big hit on Colwey i believe and Jeff Smith took advantage and came steaming in on Gleed who didn't even have time to take his helmet off hence the instigation penalty.

The problem for the tough guys is if guys try to dupe them into dropping the gloves and they don't and try to get them called on the instigator penalty

Wannabe2

Absolutely spot on what the hell are the league doing, but then again they always shoot themselves in the foot, this season could be the best entertained season for years, and yet whats the point in fighting as your gonna be filling your butt with splinters, also as soon as two players drop the gloves, those friggin linos cant wait to get in and spoil it, Simmsy has said on Sky whilst commentating STAY OUT OF IT LINOS LET THEM FIGHT, there is so much more to hockey than fightingand i love it all, but no one leaves or falls asleep when the gloves are dropped, for Gods sake league for once get a grip, and let people see what they want.

steve

The 2+10 instigator is the stupidest rule in the league, made worse by referees with no sympathy or understanding for the game. Calling a 2+10 on a guy, but also penalising the player for the original 'issue' just proves how moronic they are.

Ger-Devils

Dean Smith was by us in block 15 and we told him to swap places with Hicks! Very frustrating with him reffing! How Soderstrom didn't get called before Max hit him I don't know!

It's not a new rule its just being enforced this year. If calls were made correctly then the fights wouldnt happen admittedly but if a player jumps a guy who doesnt want to fight then this rule should happen in my opinion.

I think the real question is did the elite league ever have any point.
They don't publish their rules, embarrasing for a professional sports league, and more to the point the rules seem to change from game to game (or period to period in some cases) regardless of the ref.
And to clarify this isn't an early attack on the refs, because i feel they are let down by the elite league as much as we are when it comes to the rules of the game, and i have seen some excellently ref'd matches last season, unfortunately just not the majority

James

Administrator
The rules are published though and fairly easy to get hold of. I'm sure if you ask Mr Hubback or the like they can point you in the right direction. I think it's just the IIHF rules with a couple of small changes. What isn't published, which should be is the suspension tariff when players get multiple games for seemingly inconsistent and occasionally totally made up reasons.

Sheincar

James said:
The rules are published though and fairly easy to get hold of. I'm sure if you ask Mr Hubback or the like they can point you in the right direction. I think it's just the IIHF rules with a couple of small changes. What isn't published, which should be is the suspension tariff when players get multiple games for seemingly inconsistent and occasionally totally made up reasons.
They may be published somewhere but they're not that easy to find. Certainly not that obvious on EIHL site.

Apologies, i seem to have got carried away a little, when i say the rules aren't published i meant as a whole, as suspensions such as those mentioned by you are part of the rules!
Was reading the car parking thread and got riled up by the stupidity of the argument lol!
though following on from sheincar's point, i shouldn't have to ask someone to point me in the direction of the rules, they should be easliy accessable from the EIHL websites homepage, much like that of most major and minor leagues from around the world (hockey or any other sport)

Tad#

It is a stupid rule. The refs have really tough job, but some of the calls I've seen - for both teams - have been stupid already. Gleef elbowed Cowley straight to the face, everyone in the skydome saw it - it was hard not too -, yet no call was given. At the Devils v Blaze game the other day I saw some bad calls for the devils aswell. Wheather it was a accident by Blaze or not, they did get away with somethings the other day. As previously posted though, Its not just the refs fault.