Has 4 Become 3?

Thread starter #1
We are now 6 points behind 3rd place and so I ask the following question: has the top 4 become the top 3? Are we out of the league title already?

I'd say yes given our inability to win away from home. I remember reading/hearing from somewhere that if we didn't finish in the top 3 Shannon Hope wouldn't be too happy. Do we have to finish in the top 3 for Adams to still be here next season?

El Supremo said:
We are now 6 points behind 3rd place and so I ask the following question: has the top 4 become the top 3? Are we out of the league title already?
No, until its no longer mathmatically possible we aren't out of the title race!

Look at last week on the Cage forum when they lost to Hull, they were saying how they were a mid table team once again, calling for Corey's head, Ellis to come back, and now they've won two games against their rivals, they're right back in it.

We just need to go on a good winning streak. Its not looking likely given our away form, but its definitely not over yet. Any team in this league can beat anyone, so the Top 3 at the moment will all hopefully lose a good few games yet, and maybe we'll learn how to win away from home!

DevilDom

I think 4 became 3 some weeks ago and I stated so on this forum. I think it was after the nil point weekend against Belfast and Nottingham.

Anyway we are still in a battle for 4th place as Newcastle and Sheffield could still easily overtake us for that.

I also think we have an underperforming team and a coach who doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of them, but that's another discussion point!

Thread starter #4
Now that we're out of the title race and are once again in the mid-table battle I can see quite a drop off in attendances in the second half of the season (my friends are now saying that they will start picking and chosing games even more than they are doing now (the price is already to high to go every week)).

Wannabe2

And my friends are saying to me that they will still go to home games, as they are so entertaining, and dont wont to see the Devils dissappear altogether, and also that they cant go anywhere else on a Sunday and be that entertained for so little money. :roll:

Thread starter #6
Wannabe2 said:
And my friends are saying to me that they will still go to home games, as they are so entertaining, and dont wont to see the Devils dissappear altogether, and also that they cant go anywhere else on a Sunday and be that entertained for so little money. :roll:
Firstly, if people are going to games just to stop the team dying then something is wrong - people should not have to need to go but want to go. Secondly, I can think of a few things which I can do for less than £14.50 which would would entertain me for as long as a hockey match:

1) 2 cinema tickets (or 1.5 Imax 3D tickets);
2) A few hours in a pub (1 pint per hour @ £2.50 x 4 hours = £10);
3) Two course dinner at a decent resturaunt;
4) 2 hours bowling (£10ish(?));
5) Championship football (Cardiff City) for £5 more;
6) AHL hockey (if I was in Toronto) for £5.90.

... and those are just off the top of my head. These are the activites that the Devils are competing with. In my opinion, prices are too high - if they cost £10 I would go every week, at £14.50 it's a rip-off. Why can't we have a dynamic pricing structure so that when we play lesser opposition the prices drop? I know that Arsenal do this and it obviosuly works well for them.

Wannabe2

El Supremo said:
Wannabe2 said:
Firstly, if people are going to games just to stop the team dying then something is wrong - people should not have to need to go but want to go. Secondly, I can think of a few things which I can do for less than £14.50 which would would entertain me for as long as a hockey match:

1) 2 cinema tickets (or 1.5 Imax 3D tickets);
2) A few hours in a pub (1 pint per hour @ £2.50 x 4 hours = £10);
3) Two course dinner at a decent resturaunt;
4) 2 hours bowling (£10ish(?));
5) Championship football (Cardiff City) for £5 more;
6) AHL hockey (if I was in Toronto) for £5.90.

... and those are just off the top of my head. These are the activites that the Devils are competing with. In my opinion, prices are too high - if they cost £10 I would go every week, at £14.50 it's a rip-off. Why can't we have a dynamic pricing structure so that when we play lesser opposition the prices drop? I know that Arsenal do this and it obviosuly works well for them.
Get the Emirates to sponsor us and that may help.I am sure Matt wouldnt turn down 2-3 million +
Not much of a drinker if you can make a pint last an hour, help me please.
Two course dinner at decent restuarant (look out burger king you have competition)
Cardiff city boxing day lost 1-0, Devils win 6-3 with 3 fights DUH.
AHL Hockey well wouldnt we all love that, Premiership footie as well.

Have a good new year, as you dont appear to have had a very happy 09. ;)

Firstly El, your first post asks "are we out of the title race", one person has said in their opinion yes, then your next post says "now that we're out of title race". :roll: Can we still win the league? Yes! Therefore we're not out of title race. Granted its looking more and more unlikely, but we're not out of it yet!

Secondly, if you can think of things that will entertain you more than a hockey game for cheaper, good, don't bother coming. Doesn't bother me, I'd rather fans turn up that enjoy being there, at least we might get a good atmosphere back then. No ones forcing you to go to the games.

Thirdly, what difference does it make, if other things are cheaper? Hockey is a hell of a lot cheaper than most sports especially considering the fact that we play in the top league in the country, in fact as the Slough fan said on the hockey forum who went to both Devils Blaze games this weekend, the Devils one was better value for money. Also £5 for Cardiff City tickets? Just checked on their website and thats for under 16's, in what I assume is the worst zone. In other zone's the U16's tickets are £15 and £24. The cheapest adult ticket is £18.

As for having a ticket system where the price drops for 'lesser opposition' I always thought it was more along the lines of making the tickets more expensive for the games that have a high demand for tickets. For example, Liverpool's category A games this year are: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Everton, Man City, Man U, Spurs and West Ham. Thats because they know more people want to go to those games, so the tickets are more expensive.

i think the title is only going to one city this year and that city is in england just off the m6

i HATE the M6 with more passion than ever

We'd need to go on a huge winning streak to win it now... it's possible, but unlikley.

I don't think top 3 is out of the question though. And we're looking good in the CC semi final (unless we go 3-0 down away from home before we decide to play :lol: ).

Koop11

El, as ever your radical way of thinking makes sense to one person only….you.

Bowling is cheaper than the Devils because it’s less entertaining. Just because we may not win the league is not a reason to stop going to watch your team. If the entertainment value wasn’t there then of course don’t bother going. However, you cannot deny that overall this season the Devils at home have been good to watch. What about the fact we have a good chance to make the CC final? Answer me this – will you not be paying £14.50 for that final (assuming we get there) because we may or may not be out of the league title race?

Go watch the City for £5 - £10 more but I challenge you to say afterwards that hand on heart that you were more entertained for the price you paid. A born and bread Cardiff boy myself I always look out for City to do well and go down there when I can but in no way does watching City entertain me more than watching the Devils. I respect others feel differently but that’s my opinion.

The AHL comparison is another example of the dream world you’re in. That has got to go down as one of the most stupid comparisons on here. El, we don’t have AHL level hockey here and never will. Sure at some venues it maybe cheaper per ticket. However, add your flight and accommodation cost and tell me it’s cheaper, Silly.

The meal and the pub comparisons are a totally difference form of entertainment altogether. You have your own budget to work to. If you are not entertained at the Devils, don’t go to the next game and have that romantic meal by yourself. Don’t forget to tip mind.

Finny

El - if you don't like paying £14.50 every week why don't you take advantage of the FlexTickets at £13 a go?

Also, the suggestion that you can get Championship football for just £5 more is wrong. The cheapest adult ticket without a child is £26 unless you buy it in advance. That's more than £10 - plus these seats are at the front of the stands where you will get soaked if it is raining.

I love my football although today I do hate every single Cardiff City player who played the second half yesterday, the lazy gutless wa...
Not that it stopped me renewing my season ticket this morning.

However, I would say that the excitement and intensity of your average City game is less than that of the Devils.

The price of a Devils ticket is still excellent value for money.

Am I right in saying that the Devils tickets are one of (if not the) cheapest in the league at the mo?

And as for making a pint last an hour - remind me never to go in rounds with you Els... :lol:

The other comparisons are just crazy...bottom line is, do you think you get value for money when you watch the Devils at home. I most certainly think I do. We have had a great home seaon this year - shown by the fact that we have the best home record in the Elite League (as stated, it is our away form that is dire!). I don't understand what else can be done to give you extra value for your money???

Now to bring this thread back on topic, no I do not believe we are out of the title race yet. If you compare to back when we won the ISL, it was the reverse that happened - our away form was great but our home form was terrible - it was so bad that the team were booed off the ice and one person threw their Devils jersey onto the ice in disgust at the end of one game. Then after Christmas we managed to turn around our home form and went on to win the league...I am not saying it will be easy, as there are some very good teams in the league this year - but we are still in with a shout in what will probably be the closest league in a number of years....

We just gotta learn to grind out some wins away!!! Maybe we should get a travelling Devils fan to throw their jersey onto the ice in disgust at the next Devils away game :roll:

Exactly Finny. I took my uncle on Boxing Day who'd never been to a hockey match before but always wanted to go. He mentioned on the way in that £14.50 seems like a lot for a ticket for what is basically an amateur sport in this country, but by the end of the first period he was in agreement that you get far more entertainment for your money than you would at a football or rugby match.

It all comes down to what you're willing to pay, I'd pay 14.50 for nine goals and three fights in a single game anyday!