Hail the Messiah???

James

Administrator
Hmm. Usually I'm a fan of Neil's articles, but all this one is saying is 'cheque book hockey wins leagues'. Well duh!

To be honest i've never really liked his articles myself and this just confirms he's a first class muppet. He's basically saying well done bob phillips for throwing money at a team, you deserve all the credit...

Finny

Strage article. I thought it would be full of irony and sarcasm but then it turns out to be sincere?

Couldn't help but add a comment at the end - doubt it will be published though! :lol:

Thread starter #5
The strangest line was though was about that the fact that it didn't matter that the cheques started to bounce.

so cheque book hockey is one thing, rubber cheque book hockey is the way to win the league

Sport is about opinions and his article has done exactly what he obviously wanted us to do.That is bring it to the message board posters attention. His previous articles this season have been interesting and covered a variety of topics within the game.
I believe he is a well respected journalist who kmows his stuff,and like any other article,you cannot please everybody all of the time.
Like me you will benefit by reading his regular articles as i am sure they will be just as topical in the future.
StevenBletsoe said:
http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,16729_6828563,00.html

Is this an early April Fool.

Neil Chiplen credits Steelers owner for delivering the league title to Sheffield.

But not the one that you would think

Good article and pretty much of it is what I was thinking about the Steelers season as well... Phillips done well to help put together a quality squad of players and pulled a master stroke in signing Ben Simon who proved to not only be a top quality player but also a very good coach..

DevilDom

nmase20 said:
Im sure it was hard work throwing money at people, how did he do it....
:lol:

I really don't get people praising BP. He took the steelers to the point of going bankrupt and then bailed out for goodness sake! Give any decent coach more money to spend then the rest of the league and they are going to come up with a very good team that should challenege for silverware. Add to this the fact that a lot of these players had played together a lot before and well its obvious isn't it - You can buy the title, even if its not your money you use to do it! Duh!

Finny said:
Strage article. I thought it would be full of irony and sarcasm but then it turns out to be sincere?

Couldn't help but add a comment at the end - doubt it will be published though! :lol:
You got published!! :D

I am going to write a cheque for $15,000,000 to get our current squad back, Weller, Pelle et al, the cheque MAY bounce (!) but hey, looks like it doesn't matter!!! :evil:

Mooney#16

Simple reasoning on this. Steelers don't know how to operate on a budget. For years before Bob and during Bobs ownership they have bought there success with other peoples money. They may have the trophies but also leave a trail of out of pocket creditors behind them. The only thing that affords them the title of a big club is the Arena. They are by comparison to Nottingham a mickey mouse outfit. Nottingham spend money yes but it's money they work hard to go out and earn. I'm afraid Sheffield can talk trophies and titles all they want but as far as repecting a club for the way they run and operate themselves within an ethical business manner you have to stand by Nottingham on that one.

I dearly hope Ragan is a man of his word and runs Sheffield as they should be run as that club has played it fast and loose for to many years with other peoples money and they need a serious reality check. There finances are not that of a big club so don't have the player budget of a big club. It's simple.

I say all this with the knowledge the Devils to have previously been run in a detrimental fashion with other people paying for success but the Devils have suffered for those errors with years of cutting there cloth accordingly. I just hope Steelers are forced to endure the same punishment for there excesses as seeing them perennially lift trophies just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

An opinion I had at the beginning of January and posted on another forum but is probably more valid now than three months ago!! This was in response to an ongoing discussion as to how Sheffield had managed to save itself over Christmas and Newcastle & Edinburgh had basically gone bust and into survival mode...... Note, Hull was fortunate in that it was saved at the start of the season & Braehead has had Neil Black money ploughed into it all summer. So in reality that's 50% of the EIHL teams not on an independant financial and sustainable footing. Hope that the EIHL's due diligence of participating teams for 11/12 is a bit better......

Oh I think it ended last summer when the wage-cap was openly abandoned and the import numbers dramatically increased. The situation was not helped by Sheffield spending way beyond their ‘budget’ knowing fine they would be ‘saved’ when push came to shove. Moral Hazard must be Sheffield’s mission statement.

ps Meaning of moral hazard:-
(economics) the lack of any incentive to guard against a risk when you are protected against it (as by insurance)