Haddad released by Greenville

kingmo19.1

Yep, by standing there hugging each other, neither guy wanting to throw a punch.
Are you sure? Hendo instigated it and looked very annoyed and fuelled by the signing/non-signing as part of that seasons roster.

They haven’t spoken a word since despite a few people trying to help reconcile things!

Rempel16

Yep, apologies. Just re watched it. I remember now why it annoyed me. None of the punches landed anywhere other than helmets.
If they really despised each other (which I highly doubt) then go old school and remove the lids.

august04 2.0

Yep, apologies. Just re watched it. I remember now why it annoyed me. None of the punches landed anywhere other than helmets.
If they really despised each other (which I highly doubt) then go old school and remove the lids.
I find this to be an odd comment. I have to say, it never annoys me when fighters keep their helmets on. I'd rather see a scrap where the risk of head injury is minimised and both combatants end the fight without serious injury. Removing the lids increases the risk of head injury and given Lord's concussion history, I’d be amazed if he ever did that deliberately post his head injury, and if he ever did, he was fool - whether it's classed as “old school” or not. And given the fact that these were two popular Devils in their time, why would it annoy you that they didn’t take that risk? Not sure I get it.

Mooney#16

Taking the lids of is actually a nod of respect between players that it’s a lot easier to break your hand on a helmet than someone’s head so for career tough guys the ‘code’ was you removed the lid so hopefully you’d both stay in the line up longer and be earning your living. Given that fight was born from a lack of respect I don’t think it was ever going to be a lids off square up.

Kevlar68

I find this to be an odd comment. I have to say, it never annoys me when fighters keep their helmets on. I'd rather see a scrap where the risk of head injury is minimised and both combatants end the fight without serious injury. Removing the lids increases the risk of head injury and given Lord's concussion history, I’d be amazed if he ever did that deliberately post his head injury, and if he ever did, he was fool - whether it's classed as “old school” or not. And given the fact that these were two popular Devils in their time, why would it annoy you that they didn’t take that risk? Not sure I get it.
Also the fights lasted seconds, very few ended in knock outs and if your looking at head injuries or trauma from knocks to the head a player most probably gets more trauma in a whole game when hit on than boards than in a single fight in a game. Its about the brains movement inside the skull hitting against the inside of it.
Just look at NFL, they wear harder helmets than ice hockey players but due to the amount of head contact it still causes trauma.
Mooney is also correct, hit a hard helmet or a softer head with bare fists? If you haven't got your hands to use your out of the play.

august04 2.0

Taking the lids of is actually a nod of respect between players that it’s a lot easier to break your hand on a helmet than someone’s head so for career tough guys the ‘code’ was you removed the lid so hopefully you’d both stay in the line up longer and be earning your living. Given that fight was born from a lack of respect I don’t think it was ever going to be a lids off square up.
Yes, it's always been deemed a nod of respect but for me it's an outdated notion, especially given the number of enforcers that we've seen with troubles after their careers have ended and several tragic deaths too. If there was more awareness of long term brain injury and the impact of concussions back then, them I’m pretty sure stuff like that would have been curtailed long before they brought in the additional penalties for removing the lids. We've all seen the destructive power of a knockout punch with players that have worn helmets too, ask Tyson Marsh. Despite that, wearing them absolutely reduces the chance of landing a decent punch to the head. Not so good for the hands admittedly.

Rempel16

Fair.

SteveKing

The real issue with taking the helmets off is when the players go to the ice. Kassian for the Oilers just got knocked unconscious when he went to the ice a few days ago for the Oilers. That's the reason that leagues have started to give penalties for fighters taking their helmets off. Player safety not during the fight but at the end of it.

terry hunt

The "full roster" for 2021/2022 is now up on their site.Team announcement 6-8pm their time with usual autographs/meet the players etc.
Not a long bench 11forwards,7 d including Reddick but has 3 centres in roster.
Elite prospects lists Haddad and Thompson as free agents.
Garret Thompson looks a tidy player with lots of experience probably too pricey for us.

terry hunt

Now listed as confirmed leaving to unknown.We should find out soon where he has gone.If he is in Cardiff he walks his dog along the boardwalk behind the BBT.
I doubt we need another forward more likely a Hendo type.
Kids have taken over at Greenville.

Mooney#16

Yes, it's always been deemed a nod of respect but for me it's an outdated notion, especially given the number of enforcers that we've seen with troubles after their careers have ended and several tragic deaths too. If there was more awareness of long term brain injury and the impact of concussions back then, them I’m pretty sure stuff like that would have been curtailed long before they brought in the additional penalties for removing the lids. We've all seen the destructive power of a knockout punch with players that have worn helmets too, ask Tyson Marsh. Despite that, wearing them absolutely reduces the chance of landing a decent punch to the head. Not so good for the hands admittedly.
Apologies to drag back of topic but I think it’s an important distinction to separate the fighting topic and what happened to those enforcers. They were doing a job that was set up to destroy their mental health not just from fighting but all the surrounding elements of mentally preparing yourself night in night out. It was a job that took them to the height of fear, though the release of combat and back down again. The hormonal bombardment on the body would be huge and if mentally there was any chink in the armour that job would find it out. To say those guys ended up suicidal from one too many shots to the head would be a mis representation I believe.

I advocate fighting in hockey. I’ve done it a couple of times myself. But that’s fights within the context of a game that happen spontaneously to settle an issue and keep players honest. Or more simply frustration boiling over. Happy for any player to keep there lid on or off but there is a certain beauty that people can still be accountable for their actions in the most natural of ways as deep down we’re still a very primal species. It’s why I hate the instigator rule. It opened the door to the rats.

Lastly touching on the Hendo fight with Lordo I never agreed with Hendo for what he did as he brought an off ice issue onto the ice and used the spirit of the game for his own gratification which I thought went against the ‘code’ and was a bit of a travesty.

Apologies again but being a hockey guy of too many years the rhetoric behind fighting in hockey is one that really grabs my attention.

Back to Joey H. Hope he comes back. One of my favourite all time Devils and has a lot of tools Devils currently could do with.

Earnie

We all knew the Hendo/Lord fight was coming. I was saddened by it actually and may have had a glimpse at it and that’s all. Very unimpressed .

august04 2.0

Apologies to drag back of topic but I think it’s an important distinction to separate the fighting topic and what happened to those enforcers. They were doing a job that was set up to destroy their mental health not just from fighting but all the surrounding elements of mentally preparing yourself night in night out. It was a job that took them to the height of fear, though the release of combat and back down again. The hormonal bombardment on the body would be huge and if mentally there was any chink in the armour that job would find it out. To say those guys ended up suicidal from one too many shots to the head would be a mis representation I believe.

I advocate fighting in hockey. I’ve done it a couple of times myself. But that’s fights within the context of a game that happen spontaneously to settle an issue and keep players honest. Or more simply frustration boiling over. Happy for any player to keep there lid on or off but there is a certain beauty that people can still be accountable for their actions in the most natural of ways as deep down we’re still a very primal species. It’s why I hate the instigator rule. It opened the door to the rats.

Lastly touching on the Hendo fight with Lordo I never agreed with Hendo for what he did as he brought an off ice issue onto the ice and used the spirit of the game for his own gratification which I thought went against the ‘code’ and was a bit of a travesty.

Apologies again but being a hockey guy of too many years the rhetoric behind fighting in hockey is one that really grabs my attention.

Back to Joey H. Hope he comes back. One of my favourite all time Devils and has a lot of tools Devils currently could do with.
I’m not trying to misrepresent anything. It's been widely acknowledged that the mental impact on getting ready for these battles night after night, contributed to the issues that these guys had after their careers ended. But you simply cannot ignore the physical impact that bare knuckle punches to the head repeatedly had on these guys either. I like a good fight as much as anyone, but I don’t want to see anyone get badly hurt for my gratification either. And if keeping the lids on (which is where all this started!), is more likely to result in a more minor hand injury, rather than a potentially serious head injury (and as Steve King alluded to, minimise the risk of brain trauma as players hit the ice), then I'm all for that and why I commented on Rempel's initial observation.