Guildford Flames v Cardiff Devils - Wed 20 Dec 2017 - C Cup 1/4 final 1st leg -FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

trapped

There was a very odd finish to the game last night. No one saw what happened, but Hoth was left in a heap down on the ice at the final buzzer. A couple of players went over to ask what happened and then seemed to react and head towards a Guildford player. It calmed down quickly but I'll be interested to see the replay. Hoth could barely move, so I suspect it was a nasty one.

Then at the end, the Flames presented the usual man of the match award. They went first (which apparently they always do) and we then left the rink before they presented our mom. This left a little girl with her father waiting to present the award on the red carpet on the ice. A few players looked over, so they could clearly see what was going on but we left the ice anyway. The Flames players all went over to give the girl a fist bump, so she was happy enough, but it was most unlike our Devils and left a sour taste in the mouth.

I'm sure there is a sensible explanation for it, but it didn't play out well at all.

Last edited:

voth26

There was a very odd finish to the game last night. No one saw what happened, but Hoth was left in a heap down on the ice at the final buzzer. A couple of players went over to ask what happened and then seemed to react and head towards a Guildford player. It calmed down quickly but I'll be interested to see the replay. Hoth could barely move, so I suspect it was a nasty one.

Then at the end, the Flames presented the usual man of the match award. They went first (which apparently they always do) and we then left the rink before they presented our mom. This left a little girl with her father waiting to present the award on the red carpet on the ice. A few players looked over, so they could clearly see what was going on but we left the ice anyway. The Flames players all went over to give the girl a fist bump, so she was happy enough, but it was most unlike our Devils and left a sour taste in the mouth.

I'm sure there is a sensible explanation for it, but it didn't play out well at all.
Why did it leave a sour taste? I sympathize with the little girl and her father but there's clearly a good reason which we don't know as to why the Devils left the ice, the guys wouldn't just skate off for no reason. Funny how each time we've played in the flames barn there's been an incident or issue yet we go to 10 other rinks with no problems what so ever!! I find the flames fans to be the biggest whingers in the entire league, it's as if the league owes them a living. Think they need to remember their in the big boy league so small fish big league as opposed to big fish in the EPL where maybe they had more clout??

James

Administrator
Guildford fans seem to be under the impression there is some sort of status quo their team is upsetting by winning games. They are above Sheffield with games in hand mind so maybe there's some truth in it. That or steelers have sucked badly recently.

trapped

Why did it leave a sour taste? I sympathize with the little girl and her father but there's clearly a good reason which we don't know as to why the Devils left the ice, the guys wouldn't just skate off for no reason. Funny how each time we've played in the flames barn there's been an incident or issue yet we go to 10 other rinks with no problems what so ever!! I find the flames fans to be the biggest whingers in the entire league, it's as if the league owes them a living. Think they need to remember their in the big boy league so small fish big league as opposed to big fish in the EPL where maybe they had more clout??
As I say, I am sure there is a reason for it, but for a club that takes such pride and care in being inclusive and a family club, for us to skate to our fans, wave goodbye and then skate past a girl waiting to present a man of the match award didn't sit well with me. The little girl and her father were nothing to do with what happened on the ice and should have been treated in the same way.

I don't really care about them not shaking the flames players hands, equally, I don't really care about the flames fans being whingers. However, to say that they need to remember they are in the "big boys leagues" is irrelevant really, it makes no difference whether you are a big fish or a small fish, it is all about behaviour and setting the right example. Something we get right 99% of the time.

Foxy

Cant remember where a read it but someone mentioned slew footing by Ferguson. I thought that was an automatic review if there was an injury.

Finny

As I say, I am sure there is a reason for it, but for a club that takes such pride and care in being inclusive and a family club, for us to skate to our fans, wave goodbye and then skate past a girl waiting to present a man of the match award didn't sit well with me. The little girl and her father were nothing to do with what happened on the ice and should have been treated in the same way.

I don't really care about them not shaking the flames players hands, equally, I don't really care about the flames fans being whingers. However, to say that they need to remember they are in the "big boys leagues" is irrelevant really, it makes no difference whether you are a big fish or a small fish, it is all about behaviour and setting the right example. Something we get right 99% of the time.
You seem to be getting worked up over something which was a simple misunderstanding.

Remember, 2-legged cup games are different to normal league/ cup games. Often after the 1st leg there are no handshakes and no man of the match awards. I think it happened in Cardiff last season after the Belfast semi-final game.

So the players go back to the blueline unsure of what is to happen. They are told that there is no post-game handshake. To them in then appears there is no away MOTM as the home team have gone straight into their presentations.
Rather than hang around looking a bit daft they head off. It's happened lots of times in the past - often when we have European teams visiting.

trapped

You seem to be getting worked up over something which was a simple misunderstanding.

Remember, 2-legged cup games are different to normal league/ cup games. Often after the 1st leg there are no handshakes and no man of the match awards. I think it happened in Cardiff last season after the Belfast semi-final game.

So the players go back to the blueline unsure of what is to happen. They are told that there is no post-game handshake. To them in then appears there is no away MOTM as the home team have gone straight into their presentations.
Rather than hang around looking a bit daft they head off. It's happened lots of times in the past - often when we have European teams visiting.
I'm not getting worked up at all about it, I'm quite calm. I'm merely explaining that it left a sour taste for me, nothing more.

Regards the excuses for the players and team. We knew that the home team went first, as we have been to the rink before. The father and daughter were gesturing to get the players to come back and we skated past them to clap our fans and then left the rink.

As I say, there is probably a good reason that isn't clear, but irrespective of what that was, it looked like we had a player injured, were unhappy with the refereeing and Guildford's players and skated off, snubbing their team and more importantly a little girl. That is what bothered me.

It was all a bit like the Walser incident last year... ultimately not a big deal and I'm more concerned about whether Hoth is ok!

Foxy

Just seen a thread on THF, with a poll i might add, on did the Flames end our winning streak!!!!!!

Seriously their fanbase are beginning to irritate me more than the Squeelers and that's going some lol