Votes: 11 18.6%
  • It's ok

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, I don't like it

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

James

Administrator
Kickstart My Heart by Mötley Crüe or The Cult - Rise. I think KMH might have been used by teams previously and Belfast use Rise but not as a goal song. Hell Yeah would work too but we already use that one.

Lost count how many times we have had this convo now .... Here’s my 2p worth and for anyone that has been to the darts championship before will agree ..... Planet funk - Chase the sun.....

Paul Sullivan

Thanks to everyone for the discussion on this topic. There's been some thoughtful posts and a lot of honest opinions, both ways.

Interestingly the two people who reacted most strongly against the music came to me and changed their minds, saying they now loved it and I have also had one other person go the other way.

When Geraint suggested the track I was happy to use it. It's a great track, is used at the highest level in our sport by several teams and (to my mind at least) has a very 'hockey' feel about it. I knew there would be some resistance as it's a big deal to change the goal music (and there was a lot of resistance when we changed to Song 2 many years ago). I said to Geraint and our match night team I was always going to give it until the end of October to give it a fair run.

I don't think it's having the desired effect. This for me is for three reasons:

1) It's not being joined in with. I still believe that if enough people began to sing along it would catch on. That said they are not, and that's likely for a reason, so it's not being sung.

2) The *clap clap* GOAL! chant. On this topic in the summer I mentioned I was happy to consider letting the fans sing this chant, unaided by me or the PA, after the goal horn and *then* play some music. That seemed to not go down too well, however it is our observation that more people seem to be singing this chant now than before (probably as they don't empathise with the goal music). The result however is that whilst the goal music is played, there is another fan chant happening and that conflict will never work. No matter the choice of goal music, unless the Red Army buy into it it will never take off.

3) It wasn't the right song. It's a good song, it works in other venues, but it never took off here with enough numbers to be convincing. These things happen and I am still glad we tried it and looked to make a change as Song 2 was very tired. I think we only need look as far as the 'Blame it on the Boom Boom' song for Max that was recently introduced to see how a song can, just, 'work'.

All of which means I think one of two things needs to happen:

1) We Score - we play a goal horn - the fans do the 'Clap, Clap "GOAL" ' thing and then the drummers kick in. This would be good, but I think it will only work if the whole rink do this, not just Blocks 2, 3, and 8 (as are predominantly the case right now).

2) We Score - we play the goal horn and the other track I was going to use for Goal music this year - and everyone foregoes the 'Clap, clap "GOAL" ' chant and joins in with this.

If neither of the above can happen then whatever we do, we will have a chant and a song playing simultaneously and that is the last thing I want to have. I try hard to never play or announce over the Devils fans once they are singing.

My ideal suggestion would be:
GOAL
GOAL HORN
GOAL SONG
DRUMMERS and 'DEVILS' chant
CLAP CLAP GOAL chant (after the scorers have been announced.)

This gives us the jubilance of the cheer and the horn, a song that (hopefully) we all approve of as the goal music, the drumming and chanting we have always done, the announcement and cheers for that, then another way to rub it into the visitors when its all over.

I'll try the song I was going to use tomorrow (its a song we know), and would love to see everyone join in with it and save the clap clap thing until after we are done. Hopefully that happens.

But I haven't really though about it :lol:

jimmy snels

Good response here Paul. u guys do a fantastic job. and good to see you admit its not exactly 'working'. I don't like it at all!! But i will be interested to here the new one tomorrow... hopefully after 6 or 7 times of hearing it I'll be able to sing the final 3 ;-)

mazza03

Good call Paul I will be listening to the new one (hope we score lots) I think as long as we can sing it will work. I am not keen on the clap clap goal cos it's too Blazish (is there such a word?)

I am all for you second option, Paul. I can't stand the clap clap goal thing. I think it's only in the last couple of seasons we've started doing it (although I know other teams have done it in the past). I would prefer to clap along to any song than do the clap clap goal.

Wannabe2

Great to be exploring different sounds, hate the clap clap goal thing, they used to do that at Basingstoke years ago and i hated it then, we have the best match night entertainment in the league without a shadow of doubt, along with the best fans of course.

osh

Fair play to Paul, he's experimented with the goal music, some like it, others don't and he's doing his best to provide us with something that hopefully will be suitable. I'm not a big 'after goal music fan' although having said that, I did like the old G.Glitter rock n roll chorus ( which for obvious reasons won't be played ) yet is still played in the NHL I think.

As a suggestion, how about the load horn followed by 'Alright Now' by Free? ( great song and easy to sing a long to ). Good work Paul.

dave

Hopefully we will gets lots of chances to play it tonight.

You will not believe the amount of music Paul listens to see if new things work (goal, Penalties, Player clips etc) and if they sound right etc and thumbs up to Paul for taking the feedback and also for giving it a fair chance.

Also agree that it was not fully working but was a good idea that just need participation that was not happening and the reason why I think Joe S's crowd chant would also not work for a Cardiff crowd.

Looking forward to the reaction..hopefully it will be positive.

Paul Sullivan said:

My ideal suggestion would be:
GOAL
GOAL HORN
GOAL SONG
DRUMMERS and 'DEVILS' chant
CLAP CLAP GOAL chant (after the scorers have been announced.)

I think this would definitely be worth a try. The CLAP CLAP GOAL chant also seems to be loved or hated, so if it were done last as suggested, or maybe when the goal replay was shown, it wouldn't matter if not everyone joined in with it, and it wouldn't 'clash' with what we're trying to get going with a goal song...
I hope enough people read this forum so they know what to do tonight ;)

DevilDom

I'm not a fan of the clap clap goal chant. I agree with other posters on here that it interfers with the goal music celebration and is a blatant steal from other teams that used it before us. For this reason I like Paul's suggestion that we do that last.

DevilDom said:
I'm not a fan of the clap clap goal chant. I agree with other posters on here that it interfers with the goal music celebration and is a blatant steal from other teams that used it before us. For this reason I like Paul's suggestion that we do that last.
I think that was the point with the 'clap clap GOAL!' thing, to take the mick of all the bigger teams (nottingham, sheffield etc) who like to mock the opposition when they score.

And then it stuck. :DWD

I have to be honest though, I don't join in with it so much any more as it's getting a little boring now.