GKS vs Devils - Conti Cup Final - 13th Jan 24 - FO 19:00

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
GKSKatowice_Logo.png
In the second of our Continental Cup finals we face off against GKS Katowice of Poland. Champions of the Polish league for the last two seasons, their last crack at the continental cup saw them in third place in 2019.

Heard Carruth on a podcast talking about Polish Ultras from Katowice carrying knives and causing trouble in the town when they played in Cortina in the previous round. Hopefully we don’t see a repeat of the SC Bern antics from a few years ago and the arena have upped their security for the weekend

moggy#9

Heard Carruth on a podcast talking about Polish Ultras from Katowice carrying knives and causing trouble in the town when they played in Cortina in the previous round. Hopefully we don’t see a repeat of the SC Bern antics from a few years ago and the arena have upped their security for the weekend
That's worrying. I remember when we played in Tilburg 30 years ago they basically had a cage guarded by armed police for visiting fans. I hope that the lack of separation and easy access to alcohol isn't an issue for us.

Hopefully the club has been mindful off such things and is taking precautions.

moggy#9

I've just seen a post on Reddit stating the following:

They've sold out block 16 and have bought tickets among devils fans in blocks 15 and 17.

They will be attending the city Vs Leeds game earlier that day, so are likely to be drunk.

Apparently there were incidents with them in Belfast in 2019. EDIT - other posts say that they were loud in Belfast, but no trouble.

Some of their fans had knives confiscated in cortina.

There will be police and boosted security in the rink.

I find the fact that the last item is necessary is quite shocking. Hopefully, if they do show up drunk they'll be refused entry and be given a nice cell to sleep it off in.

BostonBart22

Think I will give this one a miss then, so obviously if carrying knives they will be bought in cardiff , assuming airports picked them up on security...worrying times..

Hi folks, I've not posted for a good few years here, but I'm a Panthers fan and just wanted to chuck my opinions in the mix for you.
Polish fans have a terrible reputation. I remember about 10 years or so ago reading on a forum about Coventry playing in the Continental Cup in Tychy and some of their fans being mugged at knifepoint in the city. When we (Panthers) played in the final in Ritten we were subjected to some of the harshest segregation I've ever experienced at a hockey game and it was apparently due to the actions of the Polish fans who'd been there for the semi final. Luckily they'd been knocked out and weren't there for the final. We soon won the Italian hosts round with our behaviour but it wasn't pleasant at first. I think part of the issue is that hockey in Europe is simply another sport, not the family entertainment that its marketed at here and unfortunately that attracts a completely different demographic. Stay safe my friends, and win the bloody thing will you? Its about time another British team did

Finny

I've just seen a post on Reddit stating the following:

They've sold out block 16 and have bought tickets among devils fans in blocks 15 and 17.

They will be attending the city Vs Leeds game earlier that day, so are likely to be drunk.

Apparently there were incidents with them in Belfast in 2019. EDIT - other posts say that they were loud in Belfast, but no trouble.

Some of their fans had knives confiscated in cortina.

There will be police and boosted security in the rink.

I find the fact that the last item is necessary is quite shocking. Hopefully, if they do show up drunk they'll be refused entry and be given a nice cell to sleep it off in.
If they plan on attending City v Leeds then they will be
a) sober
b) skint

BostonBart22

Surprised our org hasn't addressed the situation with what's been highlighted, even if it's to assure fans our org are on the case and putting extra security in place, not just for Saturday game but the 3 day event

moggy#9

Surprised our org hasn't addressed the situation with what's been highlighted, even if it's to assure fans our org are on the case and putting extra security in place, not just for Saturday game but the 3 day event
I suppose there's a risk of publicity precipitating the very problem they wish to avoid.

E.D.S.

We we searched (patted down) in Grenoble to enter every game. Long queues but peace of mind.