Giants v Devils - Wed 16th @ 19:00 - Chat/Updates

matbur said:
A lot can change in two games, so we still got a chance.
We have, all we can do is win our two games. Nottingham still have playoff position to play for and hate Sheffield so will not want to do them any favours on Saturday.

Having said that it's a crying shame that we let our huge point lead slip. If we do end up as runner's up again it wont be because we lost to Belfast last night, it will be because we lost those silly games away to Fife and home to Coventry. :(

sionlikesmusic said:
At the risk of getting shot down, a lot people on here have mentioned tiredness/fatigue as being a factor and I'd agree that on a few occasions the Devils have looked a bit tired in games where their opponents have not. The schedules for the teams, particularly in our conference, can't be that different and everyone has to travel so for me it's not really something we should be falling down on. Is it worth for the Devils management to bring in a conditioning coach on a full-time basis? I know Hudson takes care of that side of things, and credit to him for doing that, but he is first and foremost a player. Perhaps it would benefit the team to have someone dedicated in that role instead of trying to cover everything with what you have available.
I believe this Devils team is one of the fittest we've had in a long while
One detail you overlooked is the gruelling slog to Brest for a nothing series when every other team in the league were having a much needed R&R weekend in readiness for the final push down the stretch
I recall our form taking a dip from there onwards especially with the brutal run in we had
Players are fatigued simple
In hindsight exhibition games are best kept for pre-season

buzzwagon said:
sionlikesmusic said:
At the risk of getting shot down, a lot people on here have mentioned tiredness/fatigue as being a factor and I'd agree that on a few occasions the Devils have looked a bit tired in games where their opponents have not. The schedules for the teams, particularly in our conference, can't be that different and everyone has to travel so for me it's not really something we should be falling down on. Is it worth for the Devils management to bring in a conditioning coach on a full-time basis? I know Hudson takes care of that side of things, and credit to him for doing that, but he is first and foremost a player. Perhaps it would benefit the team to have someone dedicated in that role instead of trying to cover everything with what you have available.
I believe this Devils team is one of the fittest we've had in a long while
One detail you overlooked is the gruelling slog to Brest for a nothing series when every other team in the league were having a much needed R&R weekend in readiness for the final push down the stretch
I recall our form taking a dip from there onwards especially with the brutal run in we had
Players are fatigued simple
In hindsight exhibition games are best kept for pre-season
Not picking here but Belfast also played two games the weekend we were in France possibly at home though I cant remember. Have to agree that a break may have benefitted us more as a team.
Its all ifs and buts and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Dust ourselves off after last nights disappointment and lets go again this weekend, its still all to play for.

Slartibartfast

I really cant say that any particular player(s) have played badly this last 6 weeks or so.
It looks more like a new game plan that does not work.
The passing and breakouts are better since the lines were change a week ago but there is still little offence.
How many games recently have we been outshot 2-1 or more. Im sure that did not happen earlier in the season.
Maybe we changed to a more defensive game plan with a plan to play on the break.
But we also stopped hitting.
Belfast were so much more physical than us.
In the last 10 minutes we started hitting and being first to the puck and looked like the Cardiff Devils who took us to the top of the League.
I know the league is tight this year and we cannot take a win for granted but something definitely changed in the way we play about 6 weeks ago.

jimmy snels

Slartibartfast said:
I really cant say that any particular player(s) have played badly this last 6 weeks or so.
It looks more like a new game plan that does not work.
The passing and breakouts are better since the lines were change a week ago but there is still little offence.
How many games recently have we been outshot 2-1 or more. Im sure that did not happen earlier in the season.
Maybe we changed to a more defensive game plan with a plan to play on the break.
But we also stopped hitting.
Belfast were so much more physical than us.
In the last 10 minutes we started hitting and being first to the puck and looked like the Cardiff Devils who took us to the top of the League.
I know the league is tight this year and we cannot take a win for granted but something definitely changed in the way we play about 6 weeks ago.
As it did last season! I mentioned exactly this a few weeks back. This is obviously a lord decision

Wannabe2

Surely there are times that you may be outshot 2-1 because the opposition defence are winning the puck more, also if the opposition has twice as much possession as you, Anyway hopefully it will all come out in the wash.

terry hunt

Last night's defeat was a dissapointment but not a surprise.

Last weekend's wins were a bit lucky with Belfast losing their control.

I thought that beating Belfast 3 games in a row was a tall order even though our record against

them this season has been very good.

They are a proud club and i dont think they can be happy at their performance this season.

The comments are right we lost our way weeks ago with poor performances.

But we are still very much in the mix for the title,playoffs and that CHL place.

I agree with Todd's statement of 7th March this team will have ups and downs but still better

than ending every year midtable having failed to compete for anything.

shoes_off said:
matbur said:
Having said that it's a crying shame that we let our huge point lead slip. If we do end up as runner's up again it wont be because we lost to Belfast last night, it will be because we lost those silly games away to Fife and home to Coventry. :(
Here Here, shocking 4 matches lost on a trot and demolished our lead :(

KaneDevils

Matt said:
shoes_off said:
matbur said:
Here Here, shocking 4 matches lost on a trot and demolished our lead :(
It's nigh on impossible to pin point any particular loss. Losing away to fife is no disgrace and Coventry, potentially, can beat anyone. Home or away. Don't forget, we've lost twice to the Dundee and twice to the caps.

The league table doesn't lie. If we don't win the league it's because we won't have been good enough. It's that simple. Blaming the ref, injuries, unlucky bounces, suspensions, is pointless as these affect all teams.

I think perspective is required. If someone had said at the start of the year we would be (with 2 games left) still with a chance of the league title I would have taken it.

As much as recent form has been poor...before that it has been very good. These things even out and the best team..over the season..will win the league.

I am looking at the bigger picture for 2015/2016. We won our conference. That is a great achievement. We still have a chance to win the league. We got to the final of the Challenge Cup. We still might win the play-offs.

This..from a team 2 years ago with Regan and Pope. I'll just say thanks to the owners....the silverware will come. Maybe not this year..but it will come.