Giants v Devils - 05/02 - 7:00pm - League/CC - Chat/Updates

So the commentators are not the best, and they mis pronounce names. Who cares??

As for the hockey that is the worst they have played this season in my opinion. Very average, predictable hockey.

The PP was abysmal. It now seems only Weller is allowed to shoot on the PP trying to hammer it home from the blue line?
More imagination needed. Stupid penalties too, its like last season revisited. Tylor was a silly boy and Finnerty seemed to want to fight rather than play hockey.

11 shots in two periods I'd expect that from the Vipers/Caps (no offence) Not a team going for the title.

Welch's check on Max looked liked a hit from behind to me. How that is deemed a hip check is beyond me, but still.

Russky

We were our own worst enemy tonight! Our indiscipline cost us dear! Until we started racking up the pen mins we were doing ok! Eventually our PK could take no more and it resulted on us imploding! Giving up one short handed goal is embarrasing but two or more is downright incompetant! You cant blame the Ref for this result -End of Story!

What make it worse is that the Steelers have had their bad run for this season which culminated in our recent 7-1 win at the house of foil, but we havent! We have ridden out our luck so far so may be it is time for us to endure a run of bad results! Hopefully we can bounce back next weekend in Scotland!

I also fear that to turn round the 4 goal deficit and make it to the Challenge cup Final will take a bigger miracle than was achieved by the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team!

TheStub

Re: Re: Giants v Devils - 05/02 - 7:00pm - League/CC - Chat/Upda

Gazza272 said:
How to blow 2/3 of your season in 60 minutes.

May sound dramatic but thats how I feel right now. Absoloutly gutted.
I find myself shockingly meh about the whole thing.

One bad game after a few bobbly ones. The league is still there to claim, and we can take the Giants. For everything they looked indifferent and we gifted them it tonight.

Run Murphy and we're golden ;)

Russky said:
We were our own worst enemy tonight! Our indiscipline cost us dear! Until we started racking up the pen mins we were doing ok! Eventually our PK could take no more and it resulted on us imploding! Giving up one short handed goal is embarrasing but two or more is downright incompetant! You cant blame the Ref for this result -End of Story!

What make it worse is that the Steelers have had their bad run for this season which culminated in our recent 7-1 win at the house of foil, but we havent! We have ridden out our luck so far so may be it is time for us to endure a run of bad results! Hopefully we can bounce back next weekend in Scotland!

I also fear that to turn round the 4 goal deficit and make it to the Challenge cup Final will take a bigger miracle than was achieved by the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team!

Nobody has actually blamed the ref for the loss, everyone is agreeing we self distructed!!!!
The only thing people are asking is why Voth got game, as people who were watching the webcam didn't see anything and the commetators didn't know (but thats understanding, as they know nowt about hockey :lol: )

I think everyone needs to calm down and take a reality check.

Games Played: 40
Games Won: 32
Games Lost: 7
Overtime Losses: 0
Shoot Out Losses: 1

To be honest, if you still think that's not good enough, you all need your heads looking at. Give the guys a break! Jeeeeezz..... Its not like its the end of the world. I mean, seriously, we should all be used to losing by now :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

TheStub

ShutOut said:
The people who paid £8 to listen to drivel whilst the camera very rearly kept up with play... that's who.

It is made worse by the very poorly toned comments about showing it in a pub.

The league is still there to claim, and we can take the Giants. For everything they looked indifferent and we gifted them it tonight.
Agreed. Giants were good at best. They won 4-0 not because they were great but because we were rubbish.

CLARE

Fair comment and your right. But that kind of performance isn't on !

ShutOut... from what I saw, the Devils REALLY drove it forward for most the first and second period.

To me, it seemed Smitty had money on it and was calling a 'mare of a game for the Devils. Lots of exclaimations of "WTF...!?" in our house tonight.

By the third period, they had lost guys left, right and centre for so much time that they were utterly knackered and let three more in. That's how I see it.

Smith is usually a fab ref.. In my opinion, he made the most impact on the state of the play tonight.

Russky

cf38 said:
Nobody has actually blamed the ref for the loss, everyone is agreeing we self distructed!!!!
I know there are some Devils supporters on FB that are blaming the ref, also in the past, some fans on here have blamed the ref for our defeats - even I have from time to time but not tonight!

TheStub said:
ShutOut said:
The people who paid £8 to listen to drivel whilst the camera very rearly kept up with play... that's who.

It is made worse by the very poorly toned comments about showing it in a pub.
I paid £8 and it didn't bother me. What did bother me was the 3rd rate hockey. i have a Macbook and the webcast plays and runs very well. All that with showing it in pubs etc, which I have read here recently is a fair comment and is a breach of the rules. No harm in reminding people of it.

If the commentary is a problem just hit mute. I watched the blaze game on the web too, and the commentary was awful. Not much we can do about it. Watch it and put up with it or don't watch it. Easy peasy really.

CLARE

Sorry but we were pretty dire in all 3 periods. Thats my take anyway.

I guess we all have different opinions of "Good" so lets just agree to disagree and walk on by.

Only other comment is re roguestars horrendous attitude in his first post of the other thread. Very rude I thought.

Clare said:
ShutOut... from what I saw, the Devils REALLY drove it forward for most the first and second period.

To me, it seemed Smitty had money on it and was calling a 'mare of a game for the Devils. Lots of exclaimations of "WTF...!?" in our house tonight.

By the third period, they had lost guys left, right and centre for so much time that they were utterly knackered and let three more in. That's how I see it.

Smith is usually a fab ref.. In my opinion, he made the most impact on the state of the play tonight.
really?? Smith may have missed calls for the devils and made some unnecessary ones, but he also missed a lot more calls he could have made on the devils. They played quite dirty tonight and showed a completely lack of discipline, which the giants capitalised on BIG time.
The only people you can blame for that loss is the devils, nothing to do with smith, the reason they were knackered was their own fault. To conceed that many goals on the PP is ridiculous and shows poor defensive play.

Nobody is doubting what the devils have done during this season, just frustration at them potentially flushing it all down the toilet when we know they can play so so much better.

Gazza272

Clare said:

To be honest, if you still think that's not good enough, you all need your heads looking at. Give the guys a break! Jeeeeezz..... Its not like its the end of the world. I mean, seriously, we should all be used to losing by now :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Other stats:

6 or 7 Shorthanded goals conceeded in 3 weeks.

3 defeats in a very short space of time.

4 goal deficit going into the second leg of a cup.

14 goals conceeded in our last three games.

If we dont win a trophy this year, our streak means sod all in the grand scheme of things.

Skippy

Clare said:

I ( and I'm shocked to say this) totally agree with Claire :eek:

TheStub

Interesting thought - would we have gone 4-0 down if this was just a CC game?

A huge amount riding on the game, league and cup. We pushed WAY too hard in the third for a 2 leg cup game, but not for a league game.

We had a league mentality tonight when we went behind. The D pushed in too far, and we were all out to get a goal. If this was a league game, that is exactly what I want. Loose by three or four - it makes no difference in the long run, it is just a loss. As long as they try and get into it.

CC games are something else - it is take the smallest goal difference you can in.

Dean Smith had the worst game I've seen him call, but we gave him the things to call. Finnerty should have been benched - he wasn't agitating anyone but his own bench, and Voth getting a game penalty meant that he was 30% less useless. The whole team looked out of sorts.

I thought the first was a strong period for the Giants, but it had to be. Playing at home, statement to make. But I still thought we had the better chances. 2nd we just imploded - taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty... letting the Giants and Smith get more and more to us. It was like that Coventry game... and we need to bounce back big mentally.

The third, we pushed and pushed - and IMHO shouldn't have. We should have played like it was still a tied game, and probed for a goal.

So - we gifted a so so Giants team a big lead...