Gerad - Coach of the Year?

Koop11

Thread starter #1
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/adams ... -the-year/

For me, he certainly has to be a contender given the budget he has had to work with in comparison to the ‘bigger club' yet has delivered a brand of exciting and competitive hockey. The record breaking 22 wins on the bounce, winning in every barn in the league on the way, must not go unmissed.

Fingers crossed for him.

Mark666

All three nominations have turned miracles this year. For me G wins it by a nose tho, outstanding work with the team this season, especially after a fairly ropey start.

He'd better thank Franny in his speech tho.

ASHIPP

Fingers crossed for G - he has done a fantastic job this year and has progressively built the team each year he has been coach at the Devils and a great partnership with Franny :cool:
Think Ron Shudra got it wrong last night on Live Sky when he said G had a big budget to recruit the guys - that's exactly what he DIDN'T have this season. :?
Whilst the other 2 nominations have done an excellent job at their clubs, they are still in their first year with everything to aim for.

ASHIPP said:
Think Ron Shudra got it wrong last night on Live Sky when he said G had a big budget to recruit the guys - that's exactly what he DIDN'T have this season. :?
Maybe compared to Sheffield and Nottingham but had a far bigger budget than Newcastle and Braehead and was given the funds to bring in Weller mid-season. Nobody here really knows the truth about budgets and with respect, I take everything Mr Ragan says with a pinch of salt.

Adams probably will win it but the nagging doubt is that despite having the best team in the league this season (on the ice rather than on paper), you could end up with nothing. I've always said Thommo was the extra ingredient that won us 4 league titles when our team looked no better than others and to me Ben Simon could do the same.

ASHIPP

J.B said:
Adams probably will win it but the nagging doubt is that despite having the best team in the league this season (on the ice rather than on paper), you could end up with nothing. I've always said Thommo was the extra ingredient that won us 4 league titles when our team looked no better than others and to me Ben Simon could do the same.
(My bold) And that is the only place it counts - on the ice.

If you are debating the point of 'ending up with nothing', what would be your explanation for the other 2 nominations for the same award, both of whom have yet to prove something? :?

I agree with you though that the omission of Ben Simon is a suprise - a man who has got the very best out of a team he didn't recruit.

Finny

I disagree that Sheffield didn't look like they had a good team at the start of the season. They had an AHL defence, kept their scoring machine of Legue and Talbot, the return of Tait and added two Ex-NHLers.

The doubt was whether they would be able to afford that all season without Bob having to make cuts mid-season.

Koop11

Thread starter #8
Finny said:
I disagree that Sheffield didn't look like they had a good team at the start of the season. They had an AHL defence, kept their scoring machine of Legue and Talbot, the return of Tait and added two Ex-NHLers.

The doubt was whether they would be able to afford that all season without Bob having to make cuts mid-season.
Totally agree.

I do think Simon has done a great job in getting the best out of a team that he didn’t recruit but the fact is he had some of the sharpest tools in the tool box to play with. The credit goes to him for using those tools correctly.

Wannabe2

Got to give it Gerad, especially when we win the league and the play-offs, a 22 game winning streak, beating every team except Braehead twice during this run, scoring a average of just over 5 goals per game, and conceeding just under 2 per game, and winning 10 games on the road consecutively. Its a no brainer.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Wannabe2 said:
Got to give it Gerad, especially when we win the league and the play-offs
Agree. If you win the league and play-offs, he will deserve it. If you finish up potless, I'm sure even he would look back at a fantastic chance to in the league and try to work out what when wrong when you have the best set of players for many years and been almost injury free all season. And that would include looking at himself and where he could have done better.

And don't give me the "over-achieved, happy with top 3" ... Devils fans more than anyone know that it is all about winning and anything else is meaningless.

TheStub

Re: Re: Gerad - Coach of the Year?

J.B said:
And don't give me the "over-achieved, happy with top 3" ... Devils fans more than anyone know that it is all about winning and anything else is meaningless.
Speak for yourself Blaze fan boy. The fact that I get to watch great hockey every week is what it is all about. If we can still be in the running at the final weekend, that will be an amazing achievement. Win the league, even better. Take the league and/or the playoffs is a major statement in one of the tightest title races we have seen in Elite history.

G has worked wonders. The real test will be to see how he progresses next season, with his bar set so high.

Simon for me has to be number 1 at the minute.... Has a team that he never put together and turned them into a title chasing side... But I'l wait to pass judgement till the end of the season when we see which teams win what.

I'm not too sure about simon. If someone gave me Manchester united to coach for a year and I won the league, would it be because I was the best coach in the country? How much coaching would I actually have to do when you have individuals and on-ice leaders who could steer the team in the right direction

A better example would be Celtic in the Scottish league. If I walked in to a team which had players who were more expensive than everyone elses, and I won the league would that make me the best coach?

Rempel16

oneill said:
Simon for me has to be number 1 at the minute.... Has a team that he never put together and turned them into a title chasing side... But I'l wait to pass judgement till the end of the season when we see which teams win what.
Yup at 20% more expensive than one of his title rivals.

His test will be next year as well I feel.

oneill said:
The thing with Simon, is the only players he's brought in is Globke. Who probably is costing a bomb and hasn't really brought the goods.

The team he inherited off Matsos was brimming with quality (and expensive also!).

As just mentioned, we'll know how good a coach he is next year.

Wannabe2

When you have 5-6 good to top quality Brits in your team you are going to be a handful for most, lets see how Simon fairs when he doesnt have the budget to keep all those guys on the roster. To me even with my bias G is the top guy this season, and when the old blue tent is rocking, its the gaff to be.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Kipper

Wannabe2 said:
When you have 5-6 good to top quality Brits in your team you are going to be a handful for most, lets see how Simon fairs when he doesnt have the budget to keep all those guys on the roster. To me even with my bias G is the top guy this season, and when the old blue tent is rocking, its the gaff to be.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
You're not biased are you Glynne?

HAPPY ONE EYED HOCKEY DAYS :D :D

Wannabe2 said:
When you have 5-6 good to top quality Brits in your team you are going to be a handful for most, lets see how Simon fairs when he doesnt have the budget to keep all those guys on the roster.
Lyle, Richardson, Hill and Smith .... play in Cardiff for just the love of the fans :D

Wannabe2

J.B said:
Wannabe2 said:
When you have 5-6 good to top quality Brits in your team you are going to be a handful for most, lets see how Simon fairs when he doesnt have the budget to keep all those guys on the roster.
Lyle, Richardson, Hill and Smith .... play in Cardiff for just the love of the fans :D
And the Brains beer, dont forget the brains beer. ;)