Genuine thoughts, 25th Anniversary game

Martynwo

Thread starter #1
With the "alleged" cost cut backs and sponsor issues for the completion of the Devils roster and time and effort behind the scenes diverted to organise this game, would you rather not have the game and all resourses put into the regular season ?

I would imagine the costs of flights, accomodation, expenses etc would be gladly receieved by G, even if it is from a diferent budget. I understand, from this forum, that ticket sales are very poor and at £30 not likely to attract a huge attendance.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Ivan, Mikey, Russ, McGod & Lawless etc etc.. but not to the detrement of building on last years performance.

Maybe this is one for the Fans forum, but was interested in other peoples thoughts.

Very nice idea, but unlikley to really take off... The problem is junior games are free every game, and the oldies and new team matches are essentially friendlies. Now as a big hockey fan, I'd be willing to pay (the new team game is unlikley to be 'friendly' anyway)... but more 'casual' fans are unlikley to go for this with the £30 price-tag for an event down the BBT. You do have to question if the apparant off-ice turmoil at the moment will encourage more people to keep their money in their pockets.

I'm personally away at the time anyway, so my decision is made...

I was def gonna go to this, but as time has gone by and with the break up of most of the star players from last season i'm thinking I may have to give it a miss

I may change my mind closer the time tho

D

Deleted member 1337

hiCan they come a few more times as some (or a lot) of poeple like me cannot go so would be good to have a part at end of season as well becouse i really want to see them again

Tyke Devil

We got our tickets yesterday when Mini-Tyke Devil was at the BBT doing her skating lesson. We just wanted to see some Ice Hockey and the sooner the better.

I've also aready bought our 2+1 season tickets in full.

This could be posted on a number of threads I guess but this one will do. As a newbie I can't really have any valid comments as to what is happening at the moment. I've nothing to measure it against. I just know that what I saw last Season meant that myself and my family really caught the Devil's bug.

I'm just remaining optimistic that in the end G will spring some signings that will do the team proud in 2011/12. I'd hate to think that my hard earned was being used elsewhere to gain a competitive edge and at the detriment of the Devils but not a lot I can do about it now. I'll pass judgement come the end of year. All will become clear then.

But...even as a newbie...I've put in a hell of a lot of money over the last seven or eight months and in particular over the last month or two (Tickets, ST's, merchandise, Game worns, Anniversary game, Puck sponsorships etc.) I expect this money to go to the Devils and the Devils only and I also expect some kind of return on it. Maybe not a 100% return but something close.

On this basis I will make sure I am at the Fans Forum. I may be one of the quiet ones at the back but I'll be making my mind up at that time if this organisation (not the team) is one that I can continue to help fund after 2011/2012 season. I sincerely hope it is.

Until then...I may be blinkered and naive...but I still hope we can be competitive come the next campaign. Time will tell I guess.

TheStub

Re: Re: Genuine thoughts, 25th Anniversary game

Chris said:
What players have actually been announced for this game for the Devils?

Chris.
I thought Nicky Chimney and Lawless... not any others?

I'd have thought Shannon and Pope, but not so sure now.

D

Deleted member 1337

mazza03 said:
I can't go anyhow as I am on holiday,but just to see the Weasel shoot the clock is worth £30 :eek:
I am the same i cant go so i beg of them to do it at the end of the season or something would love it again

Re: Re: Genuine thoughts, 25th Anniversary game

TheStub said:
Chris said:
What players have actually been announced for this game for the Devils?

Chris.
I thought Nicky Chimney and Lawless... not any others?

I'd have thought Shannon and Pope, but not so sure now.
Steve Cadieux is also coming over as he posted it on his facebook at the end of April and i think when i was listening to Stevie's interview in the website I am sure that i heard him say that Vez was coming over aswell

ASHIPP

Fans would be far more supportive of the Festival of Hockey if it was kept completely IN HOUSE. It's not rocket science to guess that fans want value-for-money entertainment and a chance to celebrate THEIR club.....not share it with another club, especially one where, at the moment, bitterness extends beyond mere on-ice rivalry.

I am not a marketing guru but some simple ideas might bring the overheads, and ultimately ticket costs down whilst increasing appeal. PR says he wants to listen more to what the fans want so here's some thoughts...

1. Ditch Steelers involvement completely - keep the events totally Devils' orientated. Fans really only want to celebrate THEIR history. It must be costly involving both organisations?

2. The main game could be new Devils' team for next season v Devils' Legends. A chance to see past and present together on the ice.

3. The weekend celebration banquet could be multifunctional to a) celebrate the legends
b) introduce next season's team c) entertain sponsors and fans.

4. As the Devils' pre-season warm up matches, try to organise our usual clashes against a potentially exciting Coventry Blaze team (traditionally our natural rivals). These games are usually extremely well attended and a great build up to the new season. Pre-season games against the Steelers, under the current circumstances, would probably generate animosity - and people might deliberately stay away.

D

Deleted member 1337

jodysstillagirlsname said:
I say, kick the whole idea in to touch and spend money on next seasons on ice product. We hardly announced anybody so it will be Gob Simms that will look like a muppet
absolutly right save our money, save our club

Diafol

ASHIPP said:
Fans would be far more supportive of the Festival of Hockey if it was kept completely IN HOUSE. It's not rocket science to guess that fans want value-for-money entertainment and a chance to celebrate THEIR club.....not share it with another club, especially one where, at the moment, bitterness extends beyond mere on-ice rivalry.

1. Ditch Steelers involvement completely - keep the events totally Devils' orientated. Fans really only want to celebrate THEIR history. It must be costly involving both organisations?

2. The main game could be new Devils' team for next season v Devils' Legends. A chance to see past and present together on the ice.

3. The weekend celebration banquet could be multifunctional to a) celebrate the legends

4. As the Devils' pre-season warm up matches, try to organise our usual clashes against a potentially exciting Coventry Blaze team (traditionally our natural rivals). These games are usually extremely well attended and a great build up to the new season. Pre-season games against the Steelers, under the current circumstances, would probably generate animosity - and people might deliberately stay away.

Just thinking out loud here:

1. and 2 : If the legends have to be flown in at expense to the organisation(s) then surely it's more cost-effective to have them playing 2 games instead of just 1 ?

3. Isn't that the purpose of the banquet anyway ? To quote the blurb:

"On 26th August the prestigious City Hall is the setting for a stunning banquet .In an evening of incredible memories, fantastic food and friends, Devils fans will have the opportunity to reacquaint themselves with their former hockey stars while being amongst the first to meet the Elite Team who will be striving to bring home more silverware to Cardiff’s trophy cabinet over the upcoming months. Tickets are priced at £40 for STH £45 for non STH."

4.Wouldn't we all want to see the Steelers get hammered in the first game of the season ?

Haven't decided whether I'd go yet though, seems a good idea but a tad steep if you're taking the family.

D

Deleted member 1337

Diafol said:
ASHIPP said:

Just thinking out loud here:

1. and 2 : If the legends have to be flown in at expense to the organisation(s) then surely it's more cost-effective to have them playing 2 games instead of just 1 ?

3. Isn't that the purpose of the banquet anyway ? To quote the blurb:

"On 26th August the prestigious City Hall is the setting for a stunning banquet .In an evening of incredible memories, fantastic food and friends, Devils fans will have the opportunity to reacquaint themselves with their former hockey stars while being amongst the first to meet the Elite Team who will be striving to bring home more silverware to Cardiff’s trophy cabinet over the upcoming months. Tickets are priced at £40 for STH £45 for non STH."

4.Wouldn't we all want to see the Steelers get hammered in the first game of the season ?

Haven't decided whether I'd go yet though, seems a good idea but a tad steep if you're taking the family.
when you say two games do you mean one week from the other as loads of people can't make it
i mean its when every one is on holaday in august for crying out loud