General things to reflect on for next season

mweller

Thread starter #1
Not talking about the team specifically (hence different thread) but I wonder what general lessons the management and coach will draw from the season? Although ultimately disappointing, this season will have been invaluable for a new coach such as Lord. So, based on no experience whatsoever (I don't even play NHL on PS), here are some random outsider's thoughts:

Rotation system - this worked well some times. eg I felt Kurka improved a lot after he was benched for a couple of games. But I wonder if it upset the team dynamics towards the end. I know the players are professional, so it's not as if there was any undermining, but it may impact upon team spirit for a player like Hendo, who will wonder why he is always rested, when others such as Hotham never are, even when they're clearly in a bad patch. My solution would be that Lord acts as the spare import next year - that is he is a default bench coach, but can play if we have injury/suspension. This may help ease the transition from player to coach for him also.

Recruit to lines - we had a "anyone can play on any line" approach, which worked well at the start, but towards the end I think players need to have settled lines and for each of those lines to have a specific function. It took a while to put the Doucet/Kurka/Martin line together, and then it was broken up, resulting in Doucet looking lost. Next year have finesse/two-way/agitator lines or whatever and recruit with those in mind.

Maintain character balance - I felt that with Clarkson, then Marsh and Walton we lost a lot of big dressing room/team bonhomie characters. Russell and Fournier are great acquisitions, but they don't fulfill the same personality roles. Next year, getting this balance right is key, as much as the quality of the players. We need a respected/feared Captain (Keefe like) who will be Lord's right hand man, and a couple of players who know what it means to win.

Mid-season review - I admire that Lord is very loyal to his players, and I think that has a lot of team morale benefits. But it was obvious to many that, for whatever reason, Salters wasn't really working out at the Devils. Other clubs may have been more ruthless about making changes mid season if that's what's required to get the job done. This does come at a price though if you lose a reputation for being a supportive club, so debatable.

The second half matters more than the first - I know, duh. Any one of 5 teams could have won the league with a strong finish from Feb, so that is where we need to concentrate and make sure players are fresh.

Have a clear priority - more than anything this season has demonstrated that going for all three trophies is psychologically very demanding. Every game becomes "the most important game of the season". There's only so many times players can go to that well. While I don't think Thommo said "go and lose 8-0" in the Challenge Cup semi, the league was clearly their priority. And for Panthers once the league had gone, the cups became the main focus. We may have to be prepared to sacrifice going for one to realise another.

That all sounds negative - I've enjoyed most of the season though, it's what you support clubs for isn't it? If trophies were guaranteed there'd be no joy in getting them. Would be interested to hear what others feel are the general lessons we can take?

Earnie

I m not going to comment on all the issues but I totally agree with your last paragraph but one about having a clear priority.

DevilDom

One thing for us fans to take is to manage our expectations. No doubt we had a disappointing end to the season but did anyone really think that Steelers, panthers, Giants, Blaze etc. Were going to roll over and let us walk away with trophies? We are now dining at the top table but are only back up there after way too many years away. We are fighting for everything but nothing is guaranteed, that's sport. Before the challenge cup final I was hearing talk of us winning everything which was crazy when you look at the quality across the league. I was a disappointed as anyone things ended up as they did but it was also a reality check.

I'm sure whilst we have this ownership group we will continue to challenge, however that doesn't mean we have a Devine right to win trophies. I felt that a lot of our fans forgot to have fun in the last few weeks of the season. It became about winning and nothing else was important. Maybe that's how it works for some but I started supporting Devils when they were not winning things or even had much chance of winning but I enjoyed the game, made lots of friends and had a great night out with my family. I don't want to lose that by winning becoming the only thing that matters.

Electro

Maybe the owners should promote value for money entertainment as opposed to the only goal of the Devils is winning championship's.

For me it's the way you loose, not the actual result that matters.

It's true we have returned to the top table, we just haven't learnt which cutlery to use for each course.

pjj365

Electro said:
Maybe the owners should promote value for money entertainment as opposed to the only goal of the Devils is winning championship's.

It's true we have returned to the top table, we just haven't learnt which cutlery to use for each course.
At the end of the day winning is all - this is a business as well as a hobby for the owners. It is only winning which will ensure ticket sales

Also TBH I can't see how the guys can play entertaining hockey without trying to win. The other team would not let them

I sort of agree about losing but the otherway round. I can live with a loss if the team have tried

Electro

I did use the term "promote". Nobody and l mean nobody fully tells the "public" anymore than the public want to hear.

Unless your name is Ragan or your a complete moron.

Electro said:

+1 This sums it up for me. I want to be entertained when i go to watch a game of hockey. If we win games & championships then that's a bonus.

This season feels like we played dull hockey in an attempt to win a championship only fail on that front as well. Not good viewing.

Being entertained is obviously very important to the majority of us but winning is also important.
Cardiff Devils is a business and in business success generally speaking brings more business or at the very least maintains it, this in turn makes for more money into the coffers which it turn benefits the team as we have good income to strengthen when/if needed. Entertainment is also paramount for getting bums on seats, over the years we've been blessed with some very skillful players who were worth the entrance money on their own, also some of the tougher characters that have graced the jersey have also been crowd favourites, both types of players have played their part in the history of our great team and have brought people through the doors to see them.
As for the structure of next season's team I absolutely think we need more bite/aggression as this season we have often on occasions been bullied.
Towards the end of the season we started to look tired going into the final period whereas in the earlier and middle parts of the season we usually came strong in the last period, so is 4 line hockey the way to go? That in itself presents it's own problems as has been recognised on a different thread, more and better British players are needed for 4 lines to be successful.
I would be disappointed if Leigh Salters gets shipped out, I admit he's had a disappointing season but feel in full flight he's ideal for the more aggressive in your face roll.
Even if Salts stays I still believe another tough nut (Janssen type) is needed, Janssen is popular and puts bums on seats he's also highly effective in the way Panthers play an exceptional signing imo.
I suppose we'll all have to wait to see how the recruiting goes pre season but I have every faith in our recruiting team to bring in the required quality for us to have another good season.

Rich Best

We came second so it would be silly to change too much. I think we need to keep at least 70% of this group intact. So we don't need to bring in any more than 4 or 5 new players in my opinion. Getting those players right is key. Give us a Daryl Lloyd type player and a couple of tough stay at home D's (and hendrikx could be one of these in my opinion).

I am absolutely certain lessons will have been learned from this year Re setting lines early and maintaining them unless there is a very good reason not to - and losing 2 of 3 games is not a good reason, it is a knee jerk. Also managing players psychology, injuries, and conditioning (including the importance of rest). I also feel we need to develop more varied systems so we always have a well executed plan B and C. We were either great this year - or didn't seem to have an answer.