GB in Belfast?

Earnie

GB supporters club for one.
Lots of Giants fans for another
Probably a good contingent from Scottish clubs because the ferry is relatively close
Splatterings from around the hockey clubs from various UK leagues

All adding up to a better than average attendance to to a GB game in Europe

wildthing74

Whilst I welcome us finally bidding to host in the UK I'm disappointed it would be in Belfast.It would likely be way more expensive to do the whole week than if it was abroad.Anybody who's has been there even on a double header knows it's pretty expensive if you are eating and drinking out every day.

I do wonder how it will be received there too with such political views held by some still in the city.I hope people won't have problems walking around in GB clothing?

I really think this is the kind of event that would be perfect for IAW though I'm guessing this bloody benches issue prohibits it?Three thousand odd is probably perfect size arena for this group and would have good crowds as location wise we are way better than Belfast as no flights needed & we have way more hotels to accommodate travelling fans.Throw in the amount of GB fans that are from EPL teams and travel wise we are 2 hours away from all the southern teams plus Nottingham not much further and they give decent support too.

august04

wildthing74 said:
Whilst I welcome us finally bidding to host in the UK I'm disappointed it would be in Belfast.It would likely be way more expensive to do the whole week than if it was abroad.Anybody who's has been there even on a double header knows it's pretty expensive if you are eating and drinking out every day.

I do wonder how it will be received there too with such political views held by some still in the city.I hope people won't have problems walking around in GB clothing?

I really think this is the kind of event that would be perfect for IAW though I'm guessing this bloody benches issue prohibits it?Three thousand odd is probably perfect size arena for this group and would have good crowds as location wise we are way better than Belfast as no flights needed & we have way more hotels to accommodate travelling fans.Throw in the amount of GB fans that are from EPL teams and travel wise we are 2 hours away from all the southern teams plus Nottingham not much further and they give decent support too.
I assume so as the benches don't meet IIHF specifications. It still maddens me so much that the developers could get that so wrong.

Sheincar

Thread starter #5
Earnie said:
GB supporters club for one.
Lots of Giants fans for another
Probably a good contingent from Scottish clubs because the ferry is relatively close
Splatterings from around the hockey clubs from various UK leagues

All adding up to a better than average attendance to to a GB game in Europe
Regular GB fans seem almost unanimous in not wanting to go to Belfast. Even if you ignore issues around the anthem & the Union Jack, the fact is Belfast would be far more expensive overall for the week than Estonia.

Sheincar

Thread starter #8
Terror threat level raised "The threat level from Northern Ireland-related terrorism in Great Britain has gone up from moderate to substantial.

It means an attack in England, Scotland or Wales is "a strong possibility".

Home Secretary Theresa May said the level, set by security service MI5, "reflects the continuing threat from dissident republican activity".

The level for Northern Ireland-related terrorism in Northern Ireland remains "severe", meaning an attack is "highly likely".

Devil94

If your using terror threat as an argument as to why it shouldn't be in Belfast, then it is very weak. An attack could happen anywhere, that's the way it is, unfortunately. The terror threat in Cardiff is severe, as high as anywhere in Europe except Brussels. Do you feel safe walking around Cardiff? What would you say to someone who says they won't visit Cardiff because threat of terrorism?

And to add to that, Talinn has higher crime rates than Belfast.

Sheincar

Thread starter #10
Unfortunate timing with the decision being made this month. I've felt safe in all the eastern European countries I've visited. Much more wary in Belfast personally.

Earnie

Although I have posted a list of whom I think may attend it does not mean I favour Belfast as a location. I don't.
Cardiff would be great once we are up and going properly and any bench problem resolved. It may not even be a problem?

Has our ticket booking system been sorted yet?

drainage

Devil94 said:
If your using terror threat as an argument as to why it shouldn't be in Belfast, then it is very weak. An attack could happen anywhere, that's the way it is, unfortunately. The terror threat in Cardiff is severe, as high as anywhere in Europe except Brussels. Do you feel safe walking around Cardiff? What would you say to someone who says they won't visit Cardiff because threat of terrorism?

And to add to that, Talinn has higher crime rates than Belfast.
Sadly in today's world terror alerts are probably in existance in a huge amount of countries ......for me Belfast has pluses and minuses as would Talinn

I would love to take in some GB games but I use a lot of income and leave following the Devils every season can't do everything unfortunately .......

Electro

Bringing world Ice Hockey to a UK venue would bring many benefits.

Belfast is a great city and like all cities it has its issues with the past. It has moved on, despite the media, who frankly need to sensationalise every "issue" so as to justify their own existence.

For a few people terrorism has won, the fact that fear is the only weapon of any substance seems to miss a few people. Having read some of the twitter posts recently I'm amazed at how our own past and the way we coped has been all but forgotten.

Some people in the UK are starting to share the same paranoia as our cousins across the pond. You cannot protect yourselves by hiding away from threats, it's made all the worse by being told there is a "threat", constantly.

British teams play in Belfast throughout the season, if there was a credible threat we would have experienced it, it would have happened already.

Let's not be defeated by ignorance and fear, let's kick the fcuker in the nuts.

Kipper

Belfast is a fantastic friendly city and the people would be great hosts. Unless you go wandering around the worst areas of the city (and the same goes for any city-why would you) I couldn't imagine there being any trouble for hockey fans