Game Worn Shirts (Split off thread)

Thread starter #1
Now, don't get me wrong as this is a good cause and a generous donation but I am very angry over this. I will explain.

The Voth jersey in question is a home jersey from last season and the press release states that it was worn in a number of games in the early part of the season. That would be right, given that the Spire patches on the jersey are white, not green (as was the case with the 2nd set jerseys post Christmas).

The set 1 home jerseys were the ones done via bucket draw on Meet the Players evening - if your name came out you paid £195 to sponsor that jersey which was to be worn up to Christmas. That's a lot of money to shell out and the club benefits hugely from the draw and sponsor grid each season. I know who Brad's home set 1 jersey sponsor is and it's not anyone connected with Primus.

I know Primus are a player sponsor but they did not sponsor Brad - Hawkes did - player sponsors got the warm up shirts of the players they sponsored not regular season home jerseys.

My point here is that the sponsorship of the average fan is just as important as the corporate sponsor - why should an average fan be short-changed on the jersey they sponsored. It's not so much that the jersey in question has been worn for fewer games than it should have; it's the fact that there should only be a total of three home jerseys per player in a season - set 1, set 2 and shirt off his back (a one-game wonder). Are we going the way of Belfast and devaluing our jerseys by making multiples of star players like they did when Fleury played for them ?

We all know that if we sponsor a jersey and the player gets gassed or injured then that's tough luck - it's a risk you take sometimes. This is different though and I would like to see the club nip this practice in the bud. How can anyone who sponsored a set 1 jersey last season now be sure that they received what they thought they were getting ? Were extra jerseys made of other players on the roster ?

I honestly do not know - I did not know about this extra Voth jersey until seeing this thread and going on the website.

steve

Re: Brad Voth Shirt Auction

i just spent ages writing a well thought out and polite reply to the last post, before my connection gave way and i lost my text! so this may not be either of the above.

bottom line. anyone who got a voth gamer for £195 should be pleased, even if it was worn a few times less than expected.

do not suggest (as you have no justification or grounds) that fans are not getting what they think they are getting - they get a game worn set 1 jersey - simple.

i dont have a problem with the club giving such items to sponsors, who for the record have contributed a little more that a player sponsorship to this club!

did this thread really need negative posting in it given the subject matter? i also cant believe this made you 'very angry'!

ASHIPP

This shirt auction is for charity - and a good one. :D Who cares who owned it and how many times it was worn. Isn't it enough to know it belonged to the Vother and will be sought after by many?

I, for one, will be re-mortgaging my house to bid on this one! :lol:

steve said:
do not suggest (as you have no justification or grounds) that fans are not getting what they think they are getting - they get a game worn set 1 jersey - simple.
My bold. He does actually as the club website and programme clearly state that the shirt sponsor will recieve THEgame worn shirt of that player, not A game worn shirt.
I can see Mikes point and I think it is a valid one, If you had bid say £300 on, and won a Voth shirt, ie. halloween, St. Davids day etc. because you thought you were getting a one off shirt then the club produced the ones he had worn for the second and third periods, you wouldn't be very happy, especially if they sold for less as they were no longer "one-off". The fact that they will own "THE" shirt that Voth wore for that part of the season attracts some people as they think and are, it seems, told by the club no one else will have one. I also know the sponsor of the shirt in question and he is thirteen. Tell him the club lied about what his money was getting him :cry: .

I do agree that this thread wasn't the best place to bring it up though.

When I pay my £195, I expect to get the shirt that is worn from the beginning of September to a game shortly before Christmas, with the exception of any games played in cup shirts, or the one game the player wears the shirt of his back shirt. That, after all, is what is promised. Therefore, if it's not worn for those games, the club hasn't been honest with the shirt sponsors. Besides, as pointed out, that's not entirely the point (Brad only played 9 home games before Christmas due to suspension and injury, both risks that shirt sponsors know they are taking). The point is that the shirts become worthless when there are too many of them all purporting to be the same thing, and if it's worthless the price should reflect that.

I must say I am with Devilsdrum on this.

Game worn shirts are being de-valued and I recall in my days there we two (at the most three set of sweaters) and bidders at auction got what they were bidding for. I must add that as the auctioneer I was frequently taken aback by the vast amount some jerseys went for.

OJ

steve

ok, if people want to discuss issues to do with game worn jerseys etc., can we do it here, and leave the actual sticky auction thread alone. Thanks.

James

Administrator

The team create a collectors market for these items by certifying and selling them. Yes it is only a shirt and yes it is for a good cause but it isn't right if they accept sponsorship based on a premise of exclusivity then produce more.
Having said that, can we be sure its been game worn ;) looks very clean to me

I agree with devilsdrums. Corporate sponsors get the warm up jersey and the players sponsors get a set 1 home jersey, which is supposed to be exclusive apart from the shirt of his back jersey (1 copy i believe). If the club has made extra jerseys and then given one of them to the corporate sponsor, rather than the warm up jersey. Where does that leave the person who has paid £175 + for a exclusive set 1 jersey, that has copies made of it.

Don't get me wrong I think its awesome they are doing something for charity.

steve said:
i dont have a problem with the club giving such items to sponsors, who for the record have contributed a little more that a player sponsorship to this club!
Do you know for a fact that sponsoring this particular jersey is the only way the sponsor has helped the club?(for the record) Or is this just an assumption?

steve said:
i just spent ages writing a well thought out and polite reply to the last post, before my connection gave way and i lost my text! so this may not be either of the above.

bottom line. anyone who got a voth gamer for £195 should be pleased, even if it was worn a few times less than expected.

did this thread really need negative posting in it given the subject matter? i also cant believe this made you 'very angry'!
Before this thread dies the death it probably deserves, can I just say that I have never seen a bandwagon driver reverse so quickly and put his moderators uniform back on. Well done Steve, before you go though, any chance of an answer for Buzzwagon?

James

Administrator

buzzwagon said:
steve said:
Do you know for a fact that sponsoring this particular jersey is the only way the sponsor has helped the club?(for the record) Or is this just an assumption?
Buzzwagon, did you misread that as "little more" rather than "a little more". Steves post to me suggested they had contributed more not the other way around.