Game scoring

Thread starter #1
Does anybody know the logic of the scoring system?

As it stands, if you are drawn at the end of regulation you get 1 point each; the winner then goes on to earn the normal 2 points for a win.

I don't understand why an overtime win / shootout win is rewarded as richly as a regulation win.

Surely 3 for a straight win and 2 for a overtime / shootout win would be fairer?

TheStub

Our system just treats a win as a win. Giving 2 points keeps the standings close - it it hard to just run away with the league.

The Scandinavian and Czech leagues have 3 for win, 2 for OT win and 1 for an OT loss.

It's just a choice by the league. NHL / North America have our system, and we always seem to follow them.

DWD

2 for a win avoids the shambles we had when Steelers had the league wrapped up by more or less Christmas on 3pts per win.

The current scoring is best for everyone.

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
Our system just treats a win as a win.
Not strictly true though. Our (EIHL) system treats a regulation win as worth more than an OT win, whatever the points that are awarded say.

If a win was a win, last year's league title decider would have been head-to-head results, and we would be reigning League Champions.

I don't have a problem with 2 its in Reg or OT for a win, as long as they are treated both the same in the final judging. If a Reg. Win is worth more, AWARD more or else treat them equally. It's my biggest bugbear with the OT / Shootout system,. I do like to see a definitive winner, but think the criteria for what is a 'win' should be clearer.

TheStub

I agree, the tie break should be head to head results... or better still a home and away decider

But head to head results tells you who was the better of the two over the season.