Frank playing forward????

Thread starter #1
This is a question really. I missed a few games this season so im a little confused. Theres been talk and discussion with members on here of there ideal line up and Frank playing as a forward has been mentioned by a few. Soooo.

Did he play forward at all for us this year?

Has he ever played forward at all?

Has anybody seen him playing forward?

If no to all the above answers any reason why you think he be a good forward and why change his position when he's been so solid for us defensively all year obviously silly penalty's aside?
Like I said im a little confused as what seems to be pre-posed here is like swapping John Terry to upfront.

He played a few games as a forward once Mark Smith returned. He played with G and Ben up in Coventry on the third line, and I got to admit, they ruled the ice, with Ben getting 2 goals that night.

Ger-Devils

He's more dangerous as a forward than a D I think. He's not the last line of defence where he tended to see red at times.

His work rate on the wing was great to see and his forechecking was top class. I've never seen someone hit so much in a short space of time than Frank did in Coventry.

I'd plonk him in front of the net on the PP. He's pretty much an immovable object when he's there.I'd like to see him back even as a forward.

TheStub

He played as a wing in the AHL.

Much like Weller it seems, the top tier teams looked to convert him from his natural D position to a power forward.

not been a fan of frank this year,
BUT the thought of a 2 way player that is physical but can shoot is growing on me.
try it i say,
that is... if he signs a new contract.

Thread starter #8
im very on the fence about it to be honest, truth be told start of the season i was really negative towards frank and gave him a slating, i put my hands up and admit im wrong about him though. I thought he was one of our better d men when he wasn't taking silly penalties eventually. My problem is, i think id prefer to forget about a 2 way kinda guy and go for somebody more proven and tested in that position. Frank may have had a few games forward for us and in the ahl. But... a few games doesn't prove consitancy in that position and id be worried about the fact ahl teams tried to move him to a foreward but for some reason he ended up back as a d man. You catch my drift, a little patchy i know. Oh and i never saw him play forward for us either, so what do i know!!

I preferred Frank as a forward, personally he's better on the puck than most players during the season. The way he moved the puck from the back all the way to the front was brilliant. He follow checks through more when up in front and he really shows us the Frank The Tank name he has been given.
If Frank does come back next season, he I hope he gets put on the forward line.

Agreed - from what I saw of Frank playing forward, he really performed for the team. Didn't he used to play as a regular forward in his AHL team? He seems to suit either position very well and in my view this makes him a valuable player.

Our D is shaping up nicely so I would be more than happy now to see Frank signed as a power forward.If we can add Vanderveken and Richardson to the D we would have real flexability within the squad.G and Frank both able to play forward or D to a good standard.

DevilDom

In the games I saw Frank playing forward I thought it worked really well, especially when him and G were on a line with Ben as they created loads of space for him to exploit. Chris also carries the puck forward really well and has a booming slapshot, although we didn't see much of it last season. I would not be unhappy if he were re-signed in either capacity although we do need to ensure we have a couple of out and out goalscorers and not put too much pressure on one man (ala Pierce this year).

osh

fried egg said:
Our D is shaping up nicely so I would be more than happy now to see Frank signed as a power forward.If we can add Vanderveken and Richardson to the D we would have real flexability within the squad.G and Frank both able to play forward or D to a good standard.
Interesting to see that you would be happy to have the same D from last season in front of Osaer ( if of course G goes with Richie and VDV) . Not for me thanks ( plenty of skill, not enough aggression)

osh said:
fried egg said:
Interesting to see that you would be happy to have the same D from last season in front of Osaer ( if of course G goes with Richie and VDV) . Not for me thanks ( plenty of skill, not enough aggression)
I would tend to agree with fried egg (I've never agreed with an egg before) Don't think there was too much wrong with our D last season and with a top notch nettie, well.
If we need to improve anywhere on last season it's in attack. Although losing Max and Voth obviously didn't help.

I think there was a lot of pressure on the D last year not to take silly penalties playing so short.If anything Frank showed to much at the wrong times.Vanderveken can fight a bit and looked frustrated a couple of times last season looking like he wanted to go but was professional enough to follow G's instructions not to (I know I'm guessing ).M.Smith to me is like a new signing as we saw so little of him last season,I'd be more than happy with last years D and Frank moving up front with M.Smith taking his place.Frank,Vanderveken and G and possible Batch gives the side enough toughness if you ask me.