Formation of the Team (so far)

Finny

Thread starter #1
Although a couple of people have talked about this in other threads, I thought it best to start a new thread so it doesn't take them off-topic.

A couple of seasons ago it was usually pretty easy to work out which of our forward lines was which.

1st line would have the big name players and expected to score most of our goals.
2nd line would consistently score around a goal a game but not trouble the top scorers.
3rd line mainly a checking line made up of mainly brits who would chip in with a couple of goals every now and again.

Then last season we tried to change that a bit.
Our 1st line was still the big name signings and expected to get the majority of our goals.
But then we effectively had two lines of a similar quality who would both score goals on a consitent basis.
In the end though our 1st line underachieved for most of the season and we kept swapping players around.

So far, it looks like Adams has changed tactic a bit again. We look like we are signing 3 lines that are all a similar standard and will all score goals consistantly.
It's been assumed that Finnerty, Pelle and MacRae will be our 3 centres. None of them for me are the standout centre who will score 40+ goals a season that many wanted.

However, all of them are for me are 'too good' to be a 3rd line centre and I would expect them to all score around 25 goals this season.
In the past you hope one or two of your 1st line players are good ECHL players who have perhaps had a chance at the AHL but never made it. Pelle and Macrae though are two of the best scorers in the CHL and both used to winning. Perhaps another change in signing tactics by Adams?

Of course, it's now been pointed out that perhaps Pelle is a winger not a centre? And from Adams' comment on WalesOnline suggesting that MacRae will help us score from all three lines - could he be our '3rd line' centre.
And didn't Adams say last week that we would be keeping some of our 1st line places available until later in the summer for those who didn't get an AHL contract?
Could we actually be looking at signings so far that are only going to make our '2nd and 3rd lines'?????

Finny said:
Could we actually be looking at signings so far that are only going to make our '2nd and 3rd lines'?????
I think so. However, the best that I can come up with is the following (on the basis that Pelle is perhaps a winger):

Import Import Import
Birbraer Finnerty Pelle
Hill Macrae Davies

At this point I can't really see any spots available for Voth or Michel.

Scott

It's strange, G did say he'd wait before signing top line players, but if Brad and Tylor return, you'd have to assume that Pelle is going to be a top liner, and Boom Boom. If that is the case hopefully we'll get a kick-ass winger to join them.

I guess all will become clear soon :)

Finny

Thread starter #4
El Supremo said:
At this point I can't really see any spots available for Voth or Michel.
Hmm, good point. I've found the quote I was thinking of and it turns out it wasn't from Adams, but a comment/idea from Terry Phillips:

Once Cardiff know whether Voth is returning they will move towards filling first-line slots.
Centre Mark Smith will not be back, but Adams is keen to fill that slot with a high-quality forward.
He won’t rush in on the top-end players likely to be keen on playing in Europe if they miss out on American League contracts later this month or in early June.
That final line doesn't seem to make sense though unless it is missing a punctuation mark somewhere?

Perhaps we will have:
Birbraer - Quality Centre - Pelle
Hill - Finnerty - 'Voth'
Brit - MacRae - 'Michel'

Finny

Thread starter #5
Unless of course we aren't going to have another british forward on the 3rd line? I'm not convinced that Davies will be back and I can't see Towe fitting in as he didn't adapt to playing on the wing enough for me.

I had been assuming that our defence would line up like:

Import - Richardson
Import - Import
Adams - 'Symonds'

Perhaps though we will instead go for:

Import - Richardson
Import - Adams
'Symonds'

And then sign an extra import on the forward line instead, giving us something like:
Import - Import - Pelle
Birbraer - Finnerty - 'Voth'
Hill - MacRae - 'Michel'

Finny

Thread starter #6
At the risk of developing an argument with myself, I've had another thought:

I have no problem with Adams playing as a 4th defenceman, but I'd be worried about only having 3 import D and no injury cover.
So what if Adams plays on the 3rd forward line instead?
If we get an injury on defence then Adams can drop back and have his place taken by Hayes or someone similar. Giving us:

Birbraer - Import - Pelle
Hill - Finnerty - Voth
Adams - MacRae - Michel

Import - Richardson
Import - Import
Symonds

I'm starting to like that lineup. And it has quite a nasty streak all through it :D

HC42

The trouble with the comment about the 1st being kept open for later in the summer is that, If we sign Voth (or a player in his role), probably for the 2nd line and Michel (probably for the 3rd) and we already have Max, Finnerty Pelle and Mcrae, and play 7 import forwards, with Hill and another Brit (Davies), then we only have 1 space available.
If thats a 1st line spot then our other 2 lines are pretty strong though and the forwards now might look something like.

Max Import Hill

Voth (or similar) Macrae Pelle

Michel Finnerty Davies?

I have put Hill on the top line and Pelle as a second line Winger as he is listed a a forward not specifically a center and he has been praised as a real sniper type player by G, so he must surely play fairly high up the roster, but at 5ft 8" and 160lb, I think he might need some protection, in recent years the 2nd line been where the protection has been.

This could be completely wrong, but its as close as I can get to anything that fits with the comments that have been made.

HC42

Nice idea that!

8 import forwards including G and 3 Import D with Richardson and Symonds is a interesting thought.

G could always fall back into defence and we could play a 10th winger in his forward place and that would also open up the 1st line.

It would be quite a shock if that was the idea and it would almost certainly mean Davies not playing for us next year, but that wouldn't entirely surprise me. its a hell of a risk IMO, but if it worked, could be very exciting.

ASHIPP

One big advantage of having G as a player/coach is his versatility in forward and defence roles. Not many EIHL clubs have that luxury. :cool: However, G himself has said he feels naturally comfortable playing on defence - and let's face it, he is always incredibly solid and calm there...not to mention as mean as is required! :twisted:

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
One big advantage of having G as a player/coach is his versatility in forward and defence roles. Not many EIHL clubs have that luxury. :cool: However, G himself has said he feels naturally comfortable playing on defence - and let's face it, he is always incredibly solid and calm there...not to mention as mean as is required! :twisted:
And on the subject of the D unit, the remaining signings (apart from Symmonds, if he signs) will be imports, not neccessarily on the uni deals and hopefully new to the league. Am hoping G's comments about a 'big, strong dman' he's targeting will be a well established player.

Wish list, anyone? ;)

Finny

Thread starter #11
Would like us to sign 1 offensive defenceman (in the Teplitsky/Jarvis) mold.
Then 2 stay at home defenceman. One of whom be a mountain of a man and would have no problem clearing the net. Chris McAllister would be nice.

Would also like the other defenceman to be able to drop the gloves when necessary - though not all the time.
Most teams look like they are signing and out and out enforcer. I don't want us to go that way - we have Voth who can fight when needed and Adams will fight with anyone. One more player with the ability to fight should mean we won't be bullied by anyone whilst not wasting an import slot.

ASHIPP

Chris McAllister - now you're talking! :cool:
Any of these guys appeal? Remember, this is a wish list!:

Peter Metcalf :cool:
Kory Scoran
Matthew Spiller
Chris Allen
Steve Makway
Neil Smith

Pelle and Macrae's line positions will depend upon whether Tylor and Vother return. If they do (and we hope so), then doesn't that mean only 1 first line import remains to be signed? Can't see Phil playing on 3rd line myself - but Hill-Finnerty-Vother sounds a great combination! And if all 3 lines hopefully will have good scoring ability, does it even matter? :oops:

HC42

Scoran and Spiller are on my wish list this summer for sure. Those 2 plus a really good tough reliable all rounder who thinks clear the zone before anything else and I think we could make 3 Import D work.

On my well not wish list but more realistic signings:-
Nate Kiser- number not great last year but looks like he could take care of our blue zone.
Ian Forbes- close to signing a couple of years ago i believe again big tough guy (dont know if still playing though cant find any stats last year)
If you want some one like voth maybe more of a hot head Justin Johnson

Gazza272

Qweeb said:
On my well not wish list but more realistic signings:-
Nate Kiser- number not great last year but looks like he could take care of our blue zone.
Ian Forbes- close to signing a couple of years ago i believe again big tough guy (dont know if still playing though cant find any stats last year)
If you want some one like voth maybe more of a hot head Justin Johnson

Forbes isnt even listed on Elite prospects as far as i can see. I believe he has retired.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Would like us to sign 1 offensive defenceman (in the Teplitsky/Jarvis) mold.
Then 2 stay at home defenceman. One of whom be a mountain of a man and would have no problem clearing the net. Chris McAllister would be nice.

Would also like the other defenceman to be able to drop the gloves when necessary - though not all the time.
Most teams look like they are signing and out and out enforcer. I don't want us to go that way - we have Voth who can fight when needed and Adams will fight with anyone. One more player with the ability to fight should mean we won't be bullied by anyone whilst not wasting an import slot.
I think McAllister would be an excellent signing for us. If not him, then someone similar who can take the main enforcer role and free up Voth (if he returns).

Rempel16

So with the discovery that Pelle is a winger our lines look like this so far (speculated):

Birbraer Import Pelle
Import Finnerty Import
Hill Macrae Brit

If Voth and Michel do become our two winger signings, do people think we will have enough toughess up front?
For me, I think we look slightly light weight, particularly with the knowledge that the Clan and Vipers are going to be tough, Coventry are looking to add Robinson and Cruickshank to Lee and Zanon, Nottingham already have Penner.

I don't want Voth to be consistently carrying the burden. I would like to see guys that can back him up. That only looks like happening on the D.

What do other people think about this?

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
So with the discovery that Pelle is a winger our lines look like this so far (speculated):

Birbraer Import Pelle
Import Finnerty Import
Hill Macrae Brit

If Voth and Michel do become our two winger signings, do people think we will have enough toughess up front?
For me, I think we look slightly light weight, particularly with the knowledge that the Clan and Vipers are going to be tough, Coventry are looking to add Robinson and Cruickshank to Lee and Zanon, Nottingham already have Penner.

I don't want Voth to be consistently carrying the burden. I would like to see guys that can back him up. That only looks like happening on the D.

For me it depends what you mean by toughness.

Birbrear, Finnerty, Hill, Voth and due to his size Macrae. Should all have enough about them to push away the threat of the likes of Zanon and Robinson. They are strong guys who shouldnt get tossed about. Pelle played in a fairly tough league last year, so i assume his game has adapted enough so he knows to get out of the way of trouble, although i fear early on the size of our ice pad he is going to get a few knocks, And its one of the reasons i dearly hope our new arena has bigger ice.

In terms of fighting toughness, G and Vother will do their share but one of our D men had to be adeft with the gloves off for me. Just to make sure.

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:

Birbraer Import Pelle
Import Finnerty Import
Hill Macrae Brit

Remps - do you think a point worth considering would be where G is going to position himself? He says he's more comfortable on D, even though we are lucky he is versatile enough to play both positions. IMHO, I have a feeling he will opt to play on d and maybe he will sign a tough power forward up front? Who knows?! The only thing we do know at the mo is that G has said that some of that toughness will come from the d unit - he is actively in talks with a tough defender. :cool:

Maybe there is no intention of having another Brit forward for our 3rd line? Perhaps Jamie will be our 10th forward? And Alex signed up for defence?

Forward options then could be:

Max - import - Pelle
Hill - Finnerty -(Voth)
(Michel) - Macrae - import

10th forward - Hayes?

I'm just chucking around thoughts! :?