Fixture changes

Finny

Actually, I've just noticed that of the 8 changes announced so far, 7 of them involve us? :?

So either:

-we're incredibly unlucky
-the league are screwing us over
-we've asked for the changes/happy with them.

Finny

From the changes announced - these appear to be the new fixtures for the first month.
Bold: New Fixture Italic: Unconfirmed

Sat 4th Sept:
Nottingham Panthers v Belfast Giants
Sheffield Steelers v Cardiff Devils
?? Dundee or Coventry ??

Sun 5th Sept:
Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants
Coventry Blaze v Nottingham Panthers
Dundee Stars v Sheffield Steelers

Sat 11th Sept:
Belfast Giants v Coventry Blaze
Nottingham Panthers v Cardiff Devils (CC*)
Sheffield Steelers v Braehead Clan

Sun 12th Sept:
Cardiff Devils v Sheffield Steelers (CC)
Coventry Blaze v Braehead Clan
Dundee Stars v Nottingham Panthers

Sat 18th Sept:
Belfast Giants v Edinburgh Capitals
Dundee Stars v Braehead Clan (CC)
Nottingham Panthers v Coventry Blaze
Sheffield Steelers v Newcastle Vipers

Sun 19th Sept:
Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants
Coventry Blaze v Nottingham Panthers (CC)
Edinburgh Capitals v Dundee Stars (CC)
Newcastle Vipers v Sheffield Steelers

Wed 22nd Sept:
Sheffield Steelers v Cardiff Devils (CC)

Sat 25th Sept:
Coventry Blaze v Dundee Stars
Newcastle Vipers v Belfast Giants (CC*)
Nottingham Panthers v Braehead Clan
Sheffield Steelers v Cardiff Devils

Sun 26th Sept:
Cardiff Devils v Braehead Clan
Coventry Blaze v Sheffield Steelers (CC)
Dundee Stars v Belfast Giants (CC*)
Edinburgh Capitals v Newcastle Vipers

Thur 30th Sept:
Cardiff Devils v Edinburgh Capitals

Finny

Looking at them, none of the Belfast home games have yet changed. The only Belfast away game that has changed is that first sunday. They were supposed to be playing Hull away so presumably already had a flight booked they couldn't cancel. So they moved the game to us so as not to waste it.

There are a lot of changes in the early weeks due to the fact that Hull were only one of the 7 teams starting on time. Braehead, Newcastle and Edinburgh all start playing games later on and so it appears there are less changes then.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Actually, I've just noticed that of the 8 changes announced so far, 7 of them involve us? :?

So either:

Which highlights my point. I can't believe we have asked for all those changes. So I assume because we have the most flexibility we get asked / pushed into taking changes to suit other teams.

Finny

Whilst it might have been frustrating moving fixtures, assuming there is no problem with us moving our home games - it might have giving us a couple of improvements.

Firstly we only had 1 away game in that first month. Which meant we had a fairly easy start to the season but would have to make that up later in the season.
We also had a double-headed home weekend on the 25th and 26th, followed by a Thurs game at home. 3 home games in 6 days would have affected the attendance. Now one of those is an away game we might be in a better position.

Wannabe2

Well for me it has worked out great as i was going to have to miss the first few home games on a Saturday, but can make the Sunday ones. For me personnally Sunday is hockey night, always has been, mind you supporting the Devils is better than doing anything any day of the week. Its gonna be a awesome season, just cant wait.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Finny said:

So either:

Or we give in too easily :roll:

ASHIPP

Finny said:
samidevils said:
Agreed. I was really happy with our start off games. Hull, Dundee then Belfast.
I'm wondering whether we might have got lucky with these changes now.

Dundee have signed another fighter, and you can bet for their first couple of games they will be going out trying to send a message to the rest of the league. Plus all their players will be wanting to show who is the best fighter.
If we played them in the first month I could see one of two of them turning into a farce. Hopefully this will now happen against other teams and by the time we play them they will have got it out of our system.

Also, it might be best we play Belfast early on before they have time to gel. And though there are rumours that Sheffield might be signing a final import soon - I think they are more likely to be in a mess early on that after a month or so. Brand new coach who hasn't seen their team play before - might take them a while to get going too.

Of course it could go the other way and we start off terrible and losing lots.
I think quite a lot of fans were happy with the original scheduling for September - a string of home matches against a variety of teams which would have allowed the Devils to capitalise on a great start to the season.
Playing Sheffield so many times in September (ok, I know this includes CC games) is laughable and surely can only have been organised for the benefit of others - certainly NOT the 2 teams concerned. Can't imagine that Steelers are happy either having to play the Devils so often.

But, as you say Finny, the new schedule might bring some positives - Belfast will be travelling, early days for them to gel, for example. And Devils fans do get to see the Clan a bit earlier than originally scheduled! It's just a bit disappointing that the Devils' first league game is likely to be an away one immediately before their first league appearance at the tent. And for those fans who have already booked away travel arrangements based on the original schedule, it's very frustrating.

Happy days for me i'm over in Bristol the first weekend of the season, so the Giants game on Sunday looks a good bet, couple of questions.

A. is the rink easy to find ?

b. can i get tickets on the night.

c. Is there an "away" end

d Is it really that cold??

ASHIPP

With the away pre-season challenge match to Coventry cancelled on the Sunday, wonder if the Devils will organise something else for the Bank Holiday Monday (which should have been 20/20) as has been suggested in the Echo this week - perhaps against an EPL team, or even an open view training session?

I had almost managed to justify to myself spending £350 on a ST this year. I know for a fact I will not be able to make all of the home games, and I know that there is the money back guarantee on up to 6 games, so, all things considered I worked out that whilst I might miss more than 6, I still would be better off loosing that extra cash from a ST rather than buying during the week before the game.

I'm not interested at all in weekday games as I travel from over an an hour away and its too late for a school night. Same reason why Im not particularly enthused by Sunday games, depending on how exciting its likely to be e.g. if its a final or something. I'm not interested in attending the majority of the CC games either.. again, will probably attend semis and finals. I could deal with the fact that there were 4 league games on weekdays previously, because 3 of them were over the Christmas period/during/on bank hols so I would have attended. I could clearly see when teams were playing who, home and away and was pleased that there was a nicely spread out variety of Saturday games, playing a variation of the teams, without cramming one team in 4 times in 4 weeks.

Now, the current months worth of released fixtures looks appallingly frustrating for all involved and I have a funny little feeling that they won't show much improvement later in the season. Last year was equally as shocking.

I almost bought a ST.

Unfortunately, due to Hull's unfortunate demise, which is not at all the Cardiff Devils' fault, and the pish poor organisation skills of the Elite League Suits, I will NOT be spending £350 on a ST. I will NOT be providing my team with a guaraneed income over the season. Nor will I will attending, or paying for, anywhere near the minimum requirement of games that would have made my ST worthwhile (approx 18 games). So yes, I hear you say. The Devils will suffer because of something which isnt their fault. Way to go Elite League and the Arenas.

I might attend one of two home games before Christmas, and one or two after. Events over the past year, both personal and within the community of hockey, have wound me up so much that I have lost any and all interest in watching the teams at all. Congratulations the Cardiff Devils, the EIHL and the remaining team managers. Have a round of applause.

I wont be seeing you any time soon.

Finny

Last year the fixtures were split pretty much 50/50 between Saturday and Sunday. How can that be described as 'shocking'?

Initially the fixtures this year were more in favour of Saturdays. With these changes now it looks like they maybe 50/50 again.

By my reckoning at the moment we actually have one less midweek game because the Sheffield CC game has now been moved to a weekend.

Finny I was talking about ALL the teams fixtures. I have been an "away" fan for a few years so I noticed how all over the place the fixtures were for teams other than just the Devils. Christmas onwards last year was ok, but the first half was a bit poor in terms of teams playing the same teams really close together.

It doesn't bother me whether the games are Saturday or Sunday. If the Elite Devils aren't playing then ENL will be, and they're just as much fun to watch.

Fixtures have to suit all involved, and it won't matter what the final lists are as there will always be some people that will complain Why waste time trying to please everybody, it's impossible.

DevilDom

BBW said:
It doesn't bother me whether the games are Saturday or Sunday. If the Elite Devils aren't playing then ENL will be, and they're just as much fun to watch.

Fixtures have to suit all involved, and it won't matter what the final lists are as there will always be some people that will complain Why waste time trying to please everybody, it's impossible.
I think the point is though that some people need to make arrangements in advance to attend games and can't just come at the drop of a hat whenever they decide to play.

I bought season tickets for my son and I for the first time this season, however having a young family and being away from home a lot at weekends I need to make arrangements in advance to work in as many fixtures in as possible.

If you have no commitments and live around the corner I'm sure it's not a problem when the fixtures are.

DevilDom said:
I think the point is though that some people need to make arrangements in advance to attend games and can't just come at the drop of a hat whenever they decide to play.

Exactly. Lets hope theres more than 2 weeks notice for the next set of fixtures! Or then again, maybe they're planning to keep us all on our toes and see where our loyalties lie :roll: ;)