Finnerty new sheffield player coach

Rempel16

Looks like the Blaze have lost out too. Thommo confirmed last night that he had signed a centre but that player had asked to be released from his contract.

I think that although it's the Steelers, the opportunity to be player/coach justifies his decision for me.

As much as I would have liked to see him back, I wouldn't have wanted him at a ridiculous wage, he's a 2nd line centre at best, and as the alleged highest earner, i think we can get better value for money elsewhere.

I appear to be in the small minority who aren't bothered about this in the slightest. :D

I'd say he was my least favourite player from our team this year. In fact probably the only one that I disliked. IMO, he didn't score enough, didn't fight, well actually he punched plenty of people but they didn't retaliate meaning he took far too many stupid penalties, and he can't keep his mouth shut, which isn't really great for a captain.

Also looking at it in terms of which player I'd rather us face, I'd much rather see Finnerty out on the ice against us than Ben Simon who I can't say I liked but also can't deny he was one of the better players in the league.

As Rempel16 said I think we can get better value for money elsewhere.

Now if Pelle/MacRae/Tylor were to go to Sheffield ... I'd be devastated :cry:

TheStub

I'm struggling to be upset by this.

Finnerty isn't that huge a loss as a player, and I can see why Ragan would be looking to promote from within his organisation. As someone else mentioned, Ryan often felt like he was on loan to the Devils.

In terms of UK hockey, I would interested to Finnerty build a team in his image. Should be a gritty, 100% team.

Hopefully we wont lose any players to him - I would hope that Adams has already got things rolling to resign his key players.

Hynod

Really not bothered about this either. I always felt his heart was always with Sheffield. Acknowledging their fans at the end of our home games said it all to me.

He was bought in to take us over the edge and get a trophy, he failed. But I just have a niggling doubt that he may take one or two players with him or atleast try anyway.

I also feel it is easy to replace someone like Finner but more difficult to replace Matzka with his points production.

Gospel

Cant say im disappointed either, towards the end of the season i think his form dipped and at times he looked disinterested. Much prefer to keep Macrae, Pelle & Tylor. Shame Matzka didnt stay as i think his loss will be greater.

TheStub

Devil_Bluebird said:
I reckon there is now more chance of seeing Pelle and Macrae back in the league but with Finnerty at the Steelers. :(
Depends on their reasons for playing in the UK.

Are any of them that pally with Finnerty?

We have a long history of players moving between Steelers and Devils, and both ends seem to have done OK out of it.

The only thing this highlights is how quickly G needs to be moving at signing up his targets, and actually talking to every player to talk about his intentions - unlike previous off seasons where there has been an apparent lack of comms between the coach and players.

I'm happy for him. Looks like a cracking career move and, like everyone else it seems, I'm not super gutted to see him leave. Did a good job for us but didn't half get wound up easy which isn't amazing for a 'C' (or coach probably but thats someone else's problem now?!). I never forgot he was a Steeler too. Good player but replaceable.

Now if he takes a bunch of our key players with him..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

ASHIPP

Simms will be overjoyed! Finnerty is a great player and captain - sad to see him go but it was inevitable. Make no mistake, he was never going to return to the Devils for next season or any other. We were just a temporary stop-off for him to get his captaincy experience and learn more coaching and recruitment skills. He is one of those players always looking for the best option for a challenge - coaching is the next one and it will certainly be interesting!

Call me suspicious, but it all seems a bit too convenient that he has been keeping a low profile and was not at the Devils' players farewell this week. If he was originally due to go to Coventry and now to the Steelers, has this all happened since the weekend? Was he the only candidate for the job? :evil:
I think we can kiss goodbye to any British players from the Steelers joining the Devils - they are all friends and colleagues their new coach. :?

A positive, swift and timely announcement now from the Devils about a player signing our team would be appropriate. It's been frustrating (although inevitable) reading the press this week about player departures. All us Devils fans care about now is who of our fantastic team is staying......and who exciting is coming in. :?

Koop11

Good luck to Finner. I hope in time he can establish himself as a good coach. I always used to say to friends that Finnerty was perfect material for a player coach and wondered whether he would in Cardiff some day.

He’s a big game player, as he showed in the playoff final this year but had been a liability in some games this season. Sometimes Finner can be over passionate and for that reason I’m not overly disappointed he has left us. He’s a great player and unique in style but he like everyone is replaceable.

All the very best to Finner and his family.

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
Could this be the year that the Steelers finally get their wish?......... Brad Voth?
Hhhmm? Brad's ties to the Devils are VERY strong. Whilst the arrival of Ryan at the club possibly swayed the Vother's decision in recent years, Brad has shown tremendous loyalty to the Devils. He deserves a damn good send off when he comes to the end of his career - will he get that from Steelers fans? It's also 25 years for the Devils next seasonand he is iconic here. Who really knows, but I just can't see the Vother moving to another team just for the sake of it :?

Mixed feelings about this. It's always a shame for any decent player to leave the Devils and for Sheffield of all places. However he possibly wasn't the best choice for wearing the 'C' last season. No doubt he's a passionate and assertive player but he has a tendency to open his gob a bit too far and take silly penalties at bad times.

For next season (assuming he re-signs), I'd like to see Phil Hill wearing the 'C'.

This i feel is a better move for us than shuff. One of our problems last year and there was very few problems was the amount of penalty minutes at crucial moments and 8/10 times it was finner. A good move for him and I wish him all the best and be nice to see how he reacts when he has to be responsible for everything. We all know how fickle shuff fans are. Fan hero to .... Only time will tell!

Like everyone else i am not overly fussed about losing finner as he was often a liability by being wound up far too easily. He is meant to be an agitator but he more often was the one agitated.
However, i do think that this proves the problems of dual ownership, its been quite clear that these discussions have been going on for a while. Makes life very much easier for PR to sign a new coach when hes playing on your other team. I know some people will say finner was the perfect fit and would probably have been him even if he was playing for a different team. But i do think it shows a problem in owning two clubs.

TheStub

nmase20 said:
Oh and another thing, how come sheffield's website has finnerty signed and our website has nothing about him leaving?
Our updates don't seem to go up until the afternoon.

Maybe to allow the Echo to have the "scoop" for South Wales. The Stir and Radio Sheffield seem to have actually beaten the Steelers website to it - perhaps that was an agreement to give them the scoop.