Festival of Hockey - Roster complete

wildthing74

Bit shocked at some of the names on that list to be honest.I know cost plus availability is a factor but would have expected a few more higher profile names.
If the team is called "legends"I dont think thats unfair?Shame no likes of Ware,MacWilliam,Matulik,Thornton,Noble,Burgy,Hodge etc and a real shame neither Cooper could make it.
I see it as a free game for the paying fans though as £18 per ticket is more than value with both matches for that price.

Paul Sullivan

wildthing74 said:
Bit shocked at some of the names on that list to be honest.I know cost plus availability is a factor but would have expected a few more higher profile names.
If the team is called "legends"I dont think thats unfair?Shame no likes of Ware,MacWilliam,Matulik,Thornton,Noble,Burgy,Hodge etc and a real shame neither Cooper could make it.
I see it as a free game for the paying fans though as £18 per ticket is more than value with both matches for that price.
Whilst I wasn't the one contacting the players, I know that each of the names you mentioned there were all spoken to and many more besides.

Sadly due to work, family or other commitments none of those guys could make it. Some were due to come but had to drop out last minute, and several have sent some great tributes to the city and the fans that I am sure the club will use in the run-up to the match.

There is still a possibility of a name or two being added to the list I am told, though understandably the club don't want to put names out there that may not be able to make it. Plus I guess a few surprises wouldn't hurt if possible.

With my fans hat (scarf?) on I wanted more than anything a reunion of the retired jersey # players first and foremost and I am very excited about seeing those guys on the ice together one more time.

Biggest loss for me is Ivan and I am gutted he couldn't make it, but something for the fans to remember is there might be another chance to get these guys together in February. Start lobbying your netminder :D

From a personal perspective, I am completely "Kid on Christmas morning" about getting to announce the big four and, as confirmed by some recent Devils on Twitter, the greatest name ever to be called for the Devils - Vezio Sacratini.

Going to be a great occasion I think. And then a Sheffield game. Nice.

wildthing74

Such a shame we couldn't get that double winning line together for this game.Would have been great to have Smithy and the Coops back on a line with Mo,MC and Shiney.

Ocko

A very poor list compared to Sheffield. The majority of players I would call legends aren't there. Hardly any post superleague players, very disappointed. I don't think you can expect the crowd you want at that price considering the players missing. How have Sheffield manage to secure 2 teams of legends and we pull together a team of who can turn ups!

Paul Sullivan

Jason Stone was asked about playing yes. I don't know the reason for his unavailability sorry.

The Coopers too - Ian is in Spain and I don't think he can make it and Stephen declined the offer to play. Again I am unsure why, you would have to ask the guys that themselves.

As for the Steelers lineup - maybe our guys are just having a more successful post-hockey career and don't sit round waiting for the call from David :cool:

A lot of work went into this and the guy who took up the responsibility of trying to get the legends in worked tirelessly, and a bigger Devils fans (or with more knowledge) you would struggle to find.

The club is planning to invite anyone who does not wish / cannot play to attend the evening so there may be more there than on the roster. Nevertheless the club is more than any one list of players and for me its about the people in the stands as much as on the ice. They are as much or more of this club as the players and I hope some old faces come out of the woodwork for the matches on 28th.

There would always be disappointments for some fans I guess, with 25 years of history there's always going to be a lot of names that would be missing. I don't believe there are any prominent Devils that could be listed on here that have not been contacted however. All puns aside it has been the Devil's own job to put this together....

Dont agree with people criticizing the line up.If people cant come or dont want to come thats up to them.I dont care who's playing for Sheffield the fact is these guys are willing and able to pull on their Devils shirts again and we should be getting behind them not telling them they are not up to it.

ASHIPP

The sheer cost involved and prior work/personal commitments of individuals were always going to be major factors.

It's obvious that this event has taken considerable organisation - and credit is deserved for getting so many previous players on board.

Yes, there are some enormous names on the legends roster - but every one of the guys on that team have made a contribution to our club over the years. It will be a treat to see them all together on the ice. :D

As for 'comparisons' with the Steelers' legends side - who gives a monkeys about them anyway? It's the Cardiff Devils 25th anniversary we are celebrating - it's completely irrelevant which teams make up the opposition.

DevilDom

I think its a bit harsh to critisce the line up. As already stated it must have been a nightmare trying to get in touch with ex players and then persuade them to give up a weekend when there was not much in it for them. In my experience in watching events like this you always have some "legends" that are not what most people would call as such. As an example I watched Celtic legends v Man Utd legends the other night. Man Utd, even with all their resources had the likes of Quinton Fortune, Dion Dublin and Neil Webb playing for them - hardly legends but they were available and prepared to give the time to play.

davew

As most of the devils history (and indeed success) was prior to the ISL days, it is right that that era should be heavily represented. My only concerns are that as such a large proportion of the existing fanbase have probably only seen us play EIHL hockey I feel that it is such a pity that people like Burgy, Russ, Ivan and some of the more modern legends are unable to play. This may be a hindrance in getting a more full rink on the day.

As I said much earlier on a different thread I really think that this would have been an ideal scenario for Stevie's long awaited testimonial.

I do hope though that this event is a success.

osh

Now that the final roster has been revealed, I have to say I am totally underwhelmed! First of all, this is absolutely no reflection on those ex Devils players who are confirmed in the roster, I am in no way being critical of them and are delighted that they have accepted and can meet up with fans that haven't seen them play.

As stated, as many ex players as possible were contacted and for various reasons they couldn't make it. I'm have no doubt that a lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes and those who have been involved with the anniversary game should be thanked for doing so. However, I do have to comment on previous posts and will do so as I feel I have to disagree with comments made by those who I would normally agree with, here goes.

I would agree with wildthing 74 that it must surely be down to cost and the much publiced lower budget we have this season. It looks like about 4/5 Devils will be flying over from NA and at least 12 Steelers are managing to do the trip! It is only human nature to make comparisons, and its clear to see that many ex players have chosen to return for the Steelers. So whilst I have the utmost respect for the named line up, I still remain underwhelmed and disappointed at the quality of our side. Stoney not playing is another mystery that remains unsolved and he still lives in the area I understand!

ASHIPP, your comment re work/personal commitments is fair, however, the same applies to Sheffield doesn't it and they have a very good line up. Yes, everyone on the roster has made good contributions to the Devils, but that isn't the point, no one is criticising those attending players, just the fact that the list isn't as star studded as first imagined. Posters like myself are disappointed, simple as that. And yes, it is our 25th anniversary, hence disappointment on such a prestigious ocassion with those that are missing, and NOT those attending, there is a huge difference. I don't accept the fact that being disappointed and underwhelmed is seen as a criticism an any way and slightly put out that some see it that way.

Finally, I think a lot of previous posts are wrong to say that some posters are criticising things, the fact that many are disappointed and underwhelmed is no reflection on organisers or returning players, and is not a criticism at all. Hope the day/night goes well, I won't be attending but will be interested to learn how things go.

Wannabe2

osh said:
Now that the final roster has been revealed, I have to say I am totally underwhelmed! First of all, this is absolutely no reflection on those ex Devils players who are confirmed in the roster, I am in no way being critical of them and are delighted that they have accepted and can meet up with fans that haven't seen them play.

As stated, as many ex players as possible were contacted and for various reasons they couldn't make it. I'm have no doubt that a lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes and those who have been involved with the anniversary game should be thanked for doing so. However, I do have to comment on previous posts and will do so as I feel I have to disagree with comments made by those who I would normally agree with, here goes.

I would agree with wildthing 74 that it must surely be down to cost and the much publiced lower budget we have this season. It looks like about 4/5 Devils will be flying over from NA and at least 12 Steelers are managing to do the trip! It is only human nature to make comparisons, and its clear to see that many ex players have chosen to return for the Steelers. So whilst I have the utmost respect for the named line up, I still remain underwhelmed and disappointed at the quality of our side. Stoney not playing is another mystery that remains unsolved and he still lives in the area I understand!

ASHIPP, your comment re work/personal commitments is fair, however, the same applies to Sheffield doesn't it and they have a very good line up. Yes, everyone on the roster has made good contributions to the Devils, but that isn't the point, no one is criticising those attending players, just the fact that the list isn't as star studded as first imagined. Posters like myself are disappointed, simple as that. And yes, it is our 25th anniversary, hence disappointment on such a prestigious ocassion with those that are missing, and NOT those attending, there is a huge difference. I don't accept the fact that being disappointed and underwhelmed is seen as a criticism an any way and slightly put out that some see it that way.

Finally, I think a lot of previous posts are wrong to say that some posters are criticising things, the fact that many are disappointed and underwhelmed is no reflection on organisers or returning players, and is not a criticism at all. Hope the day/night goes well, I won't be attending but will be interested to learn how things go.
Thats a very fair post Osh, and as you rightly say comparisons will be made as thats natural. I am led to believe every thing was done to try to assemble more guys from over the pond, but it cant be easy for past players to give up probably a minimum of 5 days to attend, thats not a excuse of course as the Steelers players face the same dilemna. Its proably easier i should imagine if players married British girls as they can influence a guy to come as they can then see there families. At the end of the day i think it will be a very good day, what with this game, and then a first chance to see the new lads, and at a now reduced price to the original one.

I cannot find the itenary for the weekend.
Is it:
Steelers Ledgends v Devils Ledgends on Saturday ?
Devils Ledgends v Steelers Ledgends on Sunday followed by Devils v Steelers?

If so what times are FO's

Support them or don't support them...that is all you can choose to do.

Have a mind that our 2011/2012 team will be playing as well. Take the "Legends" game at face value and lets all get in to the BBT to see the team we have put together for this coming season.

I'd rather a big crowd watch us beat the Steelers than not...

Just my opinion.

Lets Go Devils.......... The season starts here!

Sad that Ruggles isn't playing but I'll be coming along for the current teams game and see the legends game as a bonus

Bit off topic but does anyone know what time it all starts and ends? Wondering if I'll need a hotel room as I'm not from Cardiff :D