Favourite Players

Thread starter #1
Understandly tensions are running high today what with the game situation and the Eihl decision against Voth
so i thought I'd post something a little different to bring attention back to the team and great players.

Who stands out for you this year?

For me it has to be Stuart MacRae he is brilliant, they all are great but for me this guy just shines. His work ethic and skills
shine through on the ice for me and his presence always seems to make a difference to play (IMO) i also think Beb Davies should get somemore ice time too he is a gem out there!

Sam :)

I agree with you about Stuart Macrae top player, and if anyone remembers i had a bit of an argument with a poster on here after his first game here where i said he was one of the best players on the ice (i have a good eye for talent lol) and the other guy Scotty something or other said he was the worst import on the ice :lol: i love being proved right.....

the placid casual said:
I agree with you about Stuart Macrae top player, and if anyone remembers i had a bit of an argument with a poster on here after his first game here where i said he was one of the best players on the ice (i have a good eye for talent lol) and the other guy Scotty something or other said he was the worst import on the ice :lol: i love being proved right.....
LOL hope it wasn't me... I did think he looked tired as hell that friendly game mind (along with others), but that was to be expected.

The whole team is stand-out this year... I guess if I had to choose Sam would be up there, because he has done far better than a lot of people were expecting I think. Also Weller has been superb - I don't think our winning streak would have gone on this long without him, last weekend against Sheffield he commanded the defence and basically shut them out (if you exclude 5 on 3 powerplays).

A

Anonymous

Good thread and a tough one to answer. If I had to pick out one solitary player Id say Jon Pelle Not only because of his points tally but his overall play. I was at the Exhibition game at the start of the season and thought he looked class, and singled him out to be a star. We were worried on here that because of his size he might get knocked about a bit but the guys skills certainly make up the extra inches. I also said potentially he could be one of the top point scorers in the league. Not a bad summary for someone in their second season as a Devil :D

Yep, my vote Jon Pelle

the placid casual said:
I knew we should have gassed him ;)

Nah but in all seriousness, I'm honestly finding it hard to choose...

Craig Weller
Ever since Weller came in he has been phenomenal. He has just settled our defence to the max and you can clearly see that the guys are learning from him. He's calm and collective on the puck, fast as hell for a big guy, and likes to throw big hits. He often seems to be the first person in attack, and the first person back to defend, even in 2 on 1 situations, I always feel calm as 9 times out of 10, Weller will come out with the puck and snap a nice pass out of the zone onto the tape of one of the forwards.
...ohh and did I mention, he's like a brick wall?

Stuart MacRae
Well, nothing at all like the player I was expecting, and for me he was the nicest surprise of the season. When he came in, fans from previous teams said he was a greedy puck hog, but to be honest, he couldn't be further from it. He generates loads of turnovers, and rarely ever loses the puck. The fact that he is on a line with Tylor is in my opinion the reason Tylor is producing numbers nobody knew he could, a definite chemistry there and we should sign them both up for next season!
STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Honorable mentions have to go to Tylor Michel and Jon Pelle.
...I honestly can't find a flaw in this team!

DevilDom

Good thread and something light hearted to think about for a change!

I think most people expected a lot from the likes of Matzka, Pelle, Mark Smith and Weller (since his arrival) as they are all class and for the most part I think they have delivered. The players known to fans already - Max, Hill, Finnerty, Voth, Richardson, Lyle and G have also all performed pretty much as we know they can. However for me it is the players that we didn't expect a lot from that have impressed me more - McCrae, Sam Smith and Kenton Smith (maybe cos I didn't know much about him).

Despite these guys there is one player that continues to stand head and shoulders above the rest for his sheer effort, grit and determination and that player is Tylor Michel. Tylor has managed to move up another level from the phenomal season he had last year which is amazing considering how much of a revelation he was. Players in the their 1st season often perform well when they have something to prove only for their performances to drop off in their 2nd season (Jay springs to mind). With Tylor this has not been the case. The guy has everything - speed, skill, grit, determination and sheer willpower and is precisely what the Cardiff Devils should be about. He is a pure joy to watch week in week.

In case you hadn't guessed my vote goes to Tylor! :D

trouble is ... some of the guys have barely had any ice time ...... when they play they are exceptional but being on the bench for most of the game week in week out just dont help

Finny

ruthiec said:
trouble is ... some of the guys have barely had any ice time ...... when they play they are exceptional but being on the bench for most of the game week in week out just dont help
Which guys would these be? :?

Last year Tylor was the stand out guy for his commitment. This year they all play like Tylor which makes it hard to choose.

Love Tylor, as always, but liking the skill of Matzka.

Gospel

There are a lot of players who are on top of their game and have been in the past couple of months.

For me its Matzka.

The guy goes about his business without being noticed that much. He has supplied so many key passes so far, scores points and doesnt take unnecessary penalties.

Max has also done the same but he does add the odd huge hit!

Finny

I'm another who didn't appreciate MacRae in those first few games. I was expecting a selfish goalscorer but after a couple of games we started to realise we had a fantastically hardworking playmaker.

It's great to have a genuine sniper in Pelle for the first time in about a decade. It gives us that belief that we can always score and get that equalising or winning goal.

One of the nicest surprises for me though has been Sam Smith. Was built up quite a bit in the summer but disappointed in those first few games. Since the end of September though he has stepped up and been a massive part in helping that '3rd' line be one of the best in the whole league.

rolf

out of an outstanding band of brothers it's hard to single any one out. i agree with all of what has been posted on here so far, but if i had to single one player out for this, then i would go for a brother. kenton smith.

he is immense, works his nads off, rarely makes a mistake and has settled in well with craig weller for a linemate on d. nothing flash but good effective stuff, very quick on and off the puck, he has supplied some crucial assists and has had quite a few retrospectively adjusted from him (braehead away recently springs to mind). he is the sort of solid d man that most teams crave what with his work-rate and ability to stay out of the bin (not easy when hicks and darnell ref most his home games) and we should be drafting his contract for as long as he is prepared to commit to right now.

his quiet capability has settled his brother and has allowed weller the opportunity make forward rushes which catch both the eye and my breath on occasion.

that all said, it is only a fag paper width this preference for k. smith over any of the other guys, as we have a seriously potent team this year and a hat tip goes to coaches adams and francis for recruiting it.

i appreciate and sympathise with the sentiment to go to notts on the lash and boycott the playoffs, but with this team? nah no chance!! the best way to offer the finger to ting tong and his merry crew is to win the darn thing, then chuck the pot into the steelers fans as it appears so crucial to them, it may even keep simples simon in a job next year, classy guy that he is........