Faulkner as captain

jay44

Thread starter #1
why Is Faulkner captain???? Somebody explain What has he got apart from leading from the front?? I want Narsh Captain has experience as captain will stand up for teammates and is disciplined... what I think a captain should be as a sportsmen thats what I would want Yes Different people disagree with me. But I feel a captain should have a blend of being calm with showing what needs to be done. Yes he scores leads from that I like that but I think that personally captains should be Defencemen They can see everything from the back and has a greater view of things and point things out to ref if they can see it from back on the blue line.

I also want a captain who stands up for his team getting in the others face and is loud and shows players who to listen too so they know what their doing.
EG finnerty what happened with him captain two cup finals two playoff finals.

ALso making a star froward captain I dont think that works for example Giroux in the nhl given captaincy hasnt scored a goal yet... Landeskog given it last year And was no longer the force he was in his calder trophy winning season.
I think its put far too much pressure on Faulkner I thin richie or marsh should be given it.

Temme

Faulkner is a great choice for captain. He leads by example and is without doubt THE most vocal player in the dressing room.

Always commanding player positions etc when out on the ice (much like Lord).

You wouldn't want a captain to be sat in the penalty box as he was 'sticking up for a team mate'.

Personally I think he's a good captain.

I'm a little confused as to what you think would be fitting for a captain, as saying it should be a disciplined team player and a defence man, then later saying Finnerty was a good captain seems a little...contradictory?

But I do agree that there is a point to be made for a D man as a captain.

jay44

Thread starter #3
Temme said:
Faulkner is a great choice for captain. He leads by example and is without doubt THE most vocal player in the dressing room.

You wouldn't want a captain to be sat in the penalty box as he was 'sticking up for a team mate'.

How do you know hes the most vocal in the dressing room?

And no but finnerty who had 160 plus pims we made 2 cup finals so it must have an impact on the players if you see your captain fired up in their faces.

I just think its too much pressure for star players

Temme

jay44 said:
Temme said:

How do you know hes the most vocal in the dressing room?

And no but finnerty who had 160 plus pims we made 2 cup finals so it must have an impact on the players if you see your captain fired up in their faces.

I just think its too much pressure for star players
I was told last season that his voice is the most predominant in the dressing room by a family member that works in that area during period breaks, hence I suppose he's been given the captaincy this year.

I quite liked Stu as captain- he performed brilliantly last year and wearing the C didn't affect his game at all. He has a similar temperament to Faulkner I guess.

Richie was captain a little while ago, for whatever reason he didn't stay C (was this the year he went to Kazakhstan?) I wouldn't want to speculate who I'd want as captain because I think Faulks is doing a great job, teams in the NHL have had success with their Nettie a Captain remember!

We cannot forget however that we are not a team that should be competing with the Nottinghams and Sheffields of this league- they have a much bigger structure than us and are much bigger teams, bigger crowds, (rumoured bigger budgets-although I can't confirm this.)

I think the year we finished joint 1st in the league (10-11?) our crowds were equal to that of 7th place in the league.

We have always been an overachieving team, we just recruit better I guess.

jay44

Thread starter #5
so your saying that because we have low attendance we should have no ambition???? and faulkner vocal ok... thats fair enough We should be competing we should whatever our attendance

Temme

:DWD

Someone else will no doubt explain what I'm trying to say better than I can...

I'm not saying that crowd size and success are directly correlated but they sure do influence each other.

We have a tendency to finish higher than we should, why this is I couldn't tell you... I'm not going to say good coaching as saying that will upset the apple cart somewhat. But if our crowds are 1/3 of the bigger teams then we have a lot less money going into our club than the bigger teams. Therefore in theory they can afford to pay for better players.

One look at nottinghams team last year confirms that!

I'm sure we have ambitions to win, and rightfully so, many teams and fans tipped us as league champions this season given how we've recruited.

Ocko

why Is Faulkner captain????
Because somebody an awful lot closer to the team than you and I and with a lot more knowledge decided he was the best fit after seeing a full season of him.

Somebody explain What has he got apart from leading from the front??
Other than one of the best characteristics in any leader?

I want Narsh Captain has experience as captain will stand up for teammates and is disciplined... what I think a captain should be as a sportsmen thats what I would want Yes Different people disagree with me. But I feel a captain should have a blend of being calm with showing what needs to be done.
How do you know what Marsh brings as a Captain other than leading from the front? Which you said isn't enough to go on to be a Captain.

I also want a captain who stands up for his team getting in the others face and is loud and shows players who to listen too so they know what their doing.
EG finnerty what happened with him captain two cup finals two playoff finals.
Any takes loads of penalties?

finnerty who had 160 plus pims
Finnerty's biggest downfall and what let him down as Captain, stupid, stupid penalties.

Leaders will always lead no matter what. The biggest role of the C is talking to the ref.

Slartibartfast

A captain needs to lead by example, be vocal and have a calm head for talking to the ref. Faulkner meets all these requirements.
Although he hasn't scored as many goals as last season he still is a dominant force who the opposition struggle with when he has got the puck.
Having boundless passion is all very well but if you can't control it like Finnerty could not then it can be very costly for the team as we saw in the playoff finals.

ASHIPP

Whilst Mac is not yet the prolific scorer he was last season, maybe that is the trade off for being a good captain. Finnerty and Stu were also good pointscorers but not the top ones on the team when they were captain.

Mac is a born leader ......more importantly he has the respect and support of the players. That's the only accolade that's important.

Wannabe2

Faulkner to me is a born leader, he has all the qualities and tools to be a Captain, he is vocal, leads by example, respected by players, wears the shirt with pride,and has a huge hunger to win, no brainer to me.

I remember saying not even half way through last season that if Stu doesn't return, Mac needs to wear the C. He may not have as many goals as he did this time last season but why does that mean he shouldn't be captain? Couldn't have picked anyone better whilst he is playing for the Devils.

helloimclaire said:
I remember saying not even half way through last season that if Stu doesn't return, Mac needs to wear the C. He may not have as many goals as he did this time last season but why does that mean he shouldn't be captain? Couldn't have picked anyone better whilst he is playing for the Devils.
Agree. As much as I loved Stu, I found that it was Mac doing all the speaking about decisions last year. Before he was announced as C I would've bet it was going to be him this year. For whatever reason his goal tally isn't as good but we couldn't have a better C in my opinion.