Espn America/ESPN Player ditch NHL?

TheStub

I just hope that there is something in place.

NHLTorrents is a workable solution, but being able to just watch games live or whenever you wanted rocked. You'd have to think someone would hit that market - even if it is just expanding access to the NHL Gamer center.

I need to work out what is going on with the ESPNPlayer account and payments - perhaps an email about next season is in order.

TheStub

I emailed NHL Game Centre Live to find out what's happening

NHL GCL Support said:
There has been no official announcement regarding the status of ESPN Player's Center Ice package in light of the ESPN America situation. If for any reason there is no Center Ice offered through ESPN Player next season, there will still be access for fans in Europe, whether through NHL GameCenter Live or another entity altogether, someone will have those rights and will make the product available.
So it sounds like we'll be having some live streaming service, be it through ESPN player or Game Center Live. Here is hoping for GCL - loads more features, like being able to choose home or away coverage.

steve

So at present there is no service carrying NHL on tv next year?

Despite recent upgrades I still don't have steady enough BB for decent streaming up here :(

TheStub

I'm managing about 4.5Mbps with a peak around 6Mbps.

I found a huge improvement when I switched ISP. Virgin National was awful, PlusNet have been great. May be worth running an ISP independent line test - you may be surprised at the available speed.

steve

Until a couple of months ago bt was the only service available. A few others have now installed LNB's but all you get from most is a rebranded BT service. :(

Thread starter #11
Very pleased to read that email response you've received Stub. I have no idea about the broadband speeds (technophobe), but I had the Espn Player last season with a Sky broadband connection up in the sticks here near Ammanford, and it didn't let me down for any Canadiens games (don't want to jinx myself) and worked absolutely fine. Only time it didnt work was the Winter Classic. So, whilst I prefer TV coverage, I'll more than settle for a legal online feed for next season.

TheStub

It was a great service, and after switching ISP it was always as good as broadcast.

The ability to see every game is fantastic. Well worth the cash.

Diafol

I would be disappointed to lose the NHL in HD via ESPN, but I've just changed my ISP and gone from 4MB to around 15MB so I suppose that would compensate a little. ESPN Player was pretty good, but Game Center Live would be fantastic !

TheStub

Re: Re: Espn America/ESPN Player ditch NHL?

Diafol said:
I would be disappointed to lose the NHL in HD via ESPN, but I've just changed my ISP and gone from 4MB to around 15MB so I suppose that would compensate a little. ESPN Player was pretty good, but Game Center Live would be fantastic !
15 MB should support the true HD stream on ESPN player and GCL. I'm more than a little jealous.

Thread starter #19
I've been tweeting Aaron Murphy the guy who works for ESPN America's website. He does the NHL blogging and they send him over to North America every year to cover the winter classic and stanley cup. He told me that it's really 50-50 at this stage but that ESPN America are in negotiations for the rights, whether they can agree is another thing. He's praying and hoping as obviously it has implications I'd imagine for his job.

TheStub

I'm almost hoping they allow UK subscribers use NHL Game Centre. The options are mind blowing for us used to one showing of every games.

Imagine - always getting the Hockey Night in Canada coverage. :D Or (for us Devils fans) MSG Devils.

But at least it sounds like we will get something at least as good as ESPN Player. Still a while to go before the season kicks off.