ENL DEVILS - Question!

Thread starter #1
Hi all. I am a relatively new addicted hockey fan so please be patient with me and stand to be corrected! Part of a family of 5 it is not always possible for financial reasons and my childrens ability to sit still :eek: to attend the elite games so my attention and enjoyment has been in the main with the ENL team. My question therefore is why is there so little attention given to these players and promotion of games?

The players really enjoy support and I often feel embarrased (if thats the right word) when their away supporters are louder than we are! I understand the attention required for the elite team but is there no room for ENL Devils?

Gazza272

Whoopie said:
Hi all. I am a relatively new addicted hockey fan so please be patient with me and stand to be corrected! Part of a family of 5 it is not always possible for financial reasons and my childrens ability to sit still :eek: to attend the elite games so my attention and enjoyment has been in the main with the ENL team. My question therefore is why is there so little attention given to these players and promotion of games?

The players really enjoy support and I often feel embarrased (if thats the right word) when their away supporters are louder than we are! I understand the attention required for the elite team but is there no room for ENL Devils?
Variety of reasons really.

Some people go to away games.

Some people dont want an entire weekend dedicated to hockey.

A lot of people dont like the lower standard of hockey

A lot of people dont see the ENL as 'their' team.

Other sports other than ice hockey take precedent when there are no home games.

I think there is plenty of room for the ENL team and I have enjoyed a lot of games myself. But they will never get a really vocal home support. A shame for them but unless your Invicta, Chelmsford or Romford then your not going to find very big crowds at ENL level.

Mark666

I love going to watch the ENLs, some of the best ever games I've watched have been the ENL boys, gritty comebacks and the like and its great to watch people like Ben Davies come through the ranks.

Crowds have been down a lot this season though. Last season they were challenging for the league title and pulling in much more people (everyone loves a winner). Promotion for their games this season has been patchy at best and they were been struggling a bit on the ice for a period before Christmas. Now they have their own section on the website but its not updated very often.

I'd like to see a page in the Elite program dedicated to an ENL update, fixtures, match report, pics, news etc. I'd even be prepared to contribute to it.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to make more of a distinction between the ENL and Elite teams. The Echo doesn't even use the 'ENL' bit of the name, for example, printing articles about the "Devils" getting Fisher back being a bonus as they've been struggling next to articles about the "Devils" being on a huge winning run. Something like the Bees and the Hornets and the Buffalo and the Bison.

Having said all that i have to admit this Saturday I have opted to stay home and watch the Belfast CC game on the telly. :eek: :oops:

It is always a struggle for teams where there is a team in a higher league at the same rink.

If you look at the ENL league clubs where ENL is the top team get very healthy attendances - Romford, Invicta, Isle of Wight, Chelmsford, Streatham and Oxford. (EPL size attendances for good games of 700-900)

Teams like Bracknell, Cardiff and Swindon struggle as they have to share the fan base with higher league teams.

Even Bristol - a new team, second from bottom of the league and in a horrible rink - had 400 to watch last weekend i the derby vs Cardiff.

Also it depends on things like success - last year the ENL Devils were top 2 all the way through the year and narrowly missed out on the title, whilst the Elite side had an indifferent season. For the top games against teams like Invicta, IOW and Chelmsford the ENL Devils got some good crowds of around 700 which was brilliant and those games were all great spectacles which the Devils edged. This year the ENL boys had a slower start and are not in the title hunt, BUT having said that they have strengthened over Xmas and started 2011 really strong, looking to finish around 5th in the league and attack the playoffs. The other problem they had is that this year the Elite side are really spectacular and fans are travelling away more. Especially during the unbeaten run when free busses were being put on by Devils mgt.

Finally there has been less promotion this year about upcoming games. That is simply down to man power. The ENL side are very thin on the ground when it comes to people helping with off-ice stuff which is almost soley done by the coach and players. (So if anyone fancies getting involved to help out please speak up!)

One last point - Its ENL Devils at home against Invicta Dynamos this Saturday!!!! Always a very feisty and entertaining game! The two sides matched up a couple of weeks back and Manny vs C Watkins (old cardiff player) tilted twice and Manny coming out on top both times! So please come down and watch if your about!

wildthing74

I think it helped quite a bit last year also that Armour was on here plugging and promoting the ENL team every week which fair play is pretty good as he didn't need to go out of his way to do that.I'm sure quite a few few fans went down on the back of him creating numerous threads on the main forum pushing the team and asking for support.
Maybe down to the fact last year it was free for season ticket holders and now we pay?I know its only a small amount but I have a family season ticket and from going free its now a tenner and whatever else spent on the night adds up.

Mark666

devil_hammer said:
Even Bristol - a new team, second from bottom of the league and in a horrible rink - had 400 to watch last weekend i the derby vs Cardiff.
I forgot about the derby. Great times. Even popped over the bridge earlier in the season for that one*. Its a great thing for the team we have another side so close and would be a great thing to promote.

I can't believe the Elites 'local rivals' are Coventry! Its hardly Liverpool v Everton is it! :lol:

* Nice day out, horrible horrible rink. :eek:

I'm happy to help promote the ENLs if i can, PM me. (My skills are graphic design and an infectious enthusiasm for ice hockey)

TheStub

For me, it is a lack of knowledge of fixtures and then travel.

I already make the 2 hour round trip for the Elite side, it is hard to make the effort for both teams (if it was Swansea, Llanelli or even Carmarthen I would probably live at the rink). With EIHL home fixtures a bit light on the ground, it may help out (even though I will be ensconced in the house for the Giants TV webcast Saturday).

A clear fixtures calendar would help, along with a good ENL website (for the league - the current one looks like it was done in word and hosted on free webspace).

I also thought "flex" tickets would be a good incentive. Sell ten tickets with a bit of a discount (10% say over the respective prices). More people would probably be willing to part with a chunk of cash up front, and then actually attend the 10 games.

Just a quick response about the pricing - at £5 an adult or £2.50 for season ticket holders its the cheapest in the league. The 'bigger clubs' (where they are top teams) charge significantly more than this. We would love for it to be free to watch just to get people in the door but unfortunately its is crazy expensive to run even an ENL side where the players dont earn wages. The referees alone for the games are often £150-200. Then there is ice time etc. All contributions through entry fees go along way to helping the team run and stay alive and I can honestly say its very appreciated by all the guys!

And yes you are correct that Arms did some great PR work when he was here last season, very enthusiastic and a great asset to any team on his off ice work alone!

Mark666 - i'll speak to Coach Cudd tonight and we'll get you a PM out maybe tomorrow to see where we could use your skills. Thanks very much for volunteering!

wildthing74

devil_hammer said:
Just a quick response about the pricing - at £5 an adult or £2.50 for season ticket holders its the cheapest in the league. The 'bigger clubs' (where they are top teams) charge significantly more than this. We would love for it to be free to watch just to get people in the door but unfortunately its is crazy expensive to run even an ENL side where the players dont earn wages. The referees alone for the games are often £150-200. Then there is ice time etc. All contributions through entry fees go along way to helping the team run and stay alive and I can honestly say its very appreciated by all the guys!

And yes you are correct that Arms did some great PR work when he was here last season, very enthusiastic and a great asset to any team on his off ice work alone!

Mark666 - i'll speak to Coach Cudd tonight and we'll get you a PM out maybe tomorrow to see where we could use your skills. Thanks very much for volunteering!
All very fair what you say but from my personal view its always hard to watch 2 teams in the same sport from a financial and time point of view.I also watch the City but would't then go and watch the resreves as to the fan this is a better option.
I admire the guys at that level more than the Elite guys as they are playing for the love of the game and no doubt at their own expense but when you are paying shed loads going to home and away games and in 2 sports already then its hard to commit further.I do feel if the ENL were the only team in the city as in other cities the support would be far greater but when you have the Devils to compete against its always going to be hard to attract fans even at the low price of a fiver. ;)

ASHIPP

Finances dictate to what level an individual can support 2 teams. In saying that, I rarely go to away elite league matches (except Blaze and Panthers) but will go to see ENL side if the elite Devils do not have a match at home, or they are facing good opponents like Invicta.
ENL deserve all the support they can get - their hockey is played with grit and passion, despite the fact that this season they are not quite as strong so far. Good to see some of the potential elite Devils of the future - Tim Burrows, Steve Fisher, Luke Piggot and Chris Jones are skilled, as are the two young Slovakians Krehlic and Sedlak.

For me Its the dedication of the players. They have to pay their own registration fees when other clubs finance they're players. The guys have to pay travelling costs when playing away games and they also provide their own kit unless they are lucky to be sponsored. It is a big ask for these guys to turn up every week, whilst holding up a day job and play and i'm full of admiration for them and their coacing and back room team.

Keep it up lads and stuff Invicta Saturday!! :twisted:

Just one question on the sponsors? there is no page dedicated in the programme to a "Sponsorship Grid" like we had last season. Was it left out intentionally?

Thread starter #13
Thanks everyone for the response. I'm glad I had the "courage" to post the question. I know when I went to the Bristol game there was a large crowd as there were offers for children. I believe they may have got in half price or free with a voucher! It may be worthwhile exploring particularly with the schools as my children love the sport and so do their friends if we bring 2 cars!!

Ger-Devils

Whoopie said:
Thanks everyone for the response. I'm glad I had the "courage" to post the question. I know when I went to the Bristol game there was a large crowd as there were offers for children. I believe they may have got in half price or free with a voucher! It may be worthwhile exploring particularly with the schools as my children love the sport and so do their friends if we bring 2 cars!!
I think Bristol had a groupon deal for the game on?

Obviously one area that needs improving to keep fans informed of the teams progress is the website. However the team does run a fairly decent Twitter account that does update live from games with goals and scores. Thought it may be worth bringing to peoples attention here if they dont follow already and belong to the land of Twitter:

@CardiffDevilENL

Thanks.