English Translation of BBC Cymru Article

Tad-cu

Thread starter #1
Please note, this is intended for non-Welsh speakers to understand the article, not for Welsh speakers to mark as an exam piece.

After a decade in a temporary home, the Cardiff Devils expect to settle in to Ice Arena Wales at the end of the month.
The Devils will be leaving the 'Big Blue Tent' where they have been since 2006, and are likely to play their first home game in the new venue in Cardiff Bay at the beginning of March.
Cymru Fyw spoke with Todd Kelman, former professional ice hockey player and manager of the Cardiff Devils, to hear more about the move.
"Although it's not easy to change our home when the season is still going on, we want to move in to our new home as soon as possible. We are really looking forward to moving to use the better facilities, and it makes financial sense as well."
Todd Kelman is sure that the new facilities will help to improve the Devils performances:
"There will be two ice rinks in the new venue, which will enable the players to practise more frequently and give more opportunities for public skating as well.
Other teams in the city will be able to enjoy the facilities as well, not just the Devils.
"Other events will be held in the venue not just ice hockey, such as figure skating a curling competitions. In my opinion, these are the best facilities in the UK."
The Devils won the Challenge Cup last year by beating the Sheffield Steelers, but it's likely that the 90s were the team's golden period.
The Devils were British champions in 1990, 1993, 1994 a 1997, and they hope that they will be able to win this year by being top of the division as the end of the season approaches.
Todd Kelman also hopes to be able to attract some more European clubs to play in Cardiff:
"I hope that it will be possible to attract some of the teams from Sweden, Finland and Germany to our new home - we played against Brest Albatros in Brittany twice last week, and they came to Cardiff to play against us before the season started in August. We were successful in winning the four games against them.

"I think that some supporters are worrying that the atmosphere will not be as good in our new home. But I'm confident that we will be able to recreate the atmosphere from the 'Big Blue Tent', and do this even better!"
Dan Williams and Rhys Roberts play for the Cardiff Eagles, one of the other ice hockey clubs in Cardiff who will be sharing the facilities with the Devils.
Dan said: "I have sweet memories of the Devils in the 'Big Blue Tent', like when they won the Challenge Cup back in 2006.
"The Devils lost the first game against Coventry Blaze 3-0, before winning the second by 4-1 and going on to win the shootout. They won the competition last year as well but this was away from home. But of course, this was a short term home before settling in to the new building. The Devils first home was demolished in 2006 to make way for the John Lewis store in the centre of town."
"Having these resources here will develop the athletes of the future in sports like curling, figure skating, speed skating although ice hockey is central, and giving everyone the opportunity to take part."
"Definitely, the high standard of the Devils team at the minute, together with the new building has created more interest in the sport in Cardiff. Winter sports are considered to be minority sports in Britain, so the more attention they have the better in my opinion."
Rhys Roberts added: "The Devils are having an excellent season at the moment. But the new rink will also help the junior teams, University teams, and the ladies teams."
"It will be easier for teams like ours (Cardiff Eagles) to practise as well, by having more resources it looks like we won't have to practise till midnight when the ice is free. The new rink is more as well, as it will be a great experience to play on one that's Olympic size."
"The standard of ice hockey is improving in Cardiff, from the junior teams to the professional team. Having new facilities will contribute to this, and with the Devils present success it predicts that the game will grow in the future in Wales."