Enforcer role makes it to BBC website

Codswallop. The olympics allows taekwondo, judo, boxing and wrestling. Loads of fighting.

Seriously though, have cases like this only escalated in relatively recent times? Does professional sport encourage people to push themselves too far?

Sent from my wonderous toy using a program I downloaded for it.

jimmy snels

lets get rid of fighting to ensure next time someone wants to elbow one of our young brits in the head they can without fear of reprisal.... what a stupid article. i agree fighting for the sake of it is pointless but heat of the moment scraps and sticking up for an injured team mate are part of the game

Clearly some idiot that knows absolutely nothing about ice hockey. Shown by the fact he claims it only takes place in the NHL? Its a part of the game, always has been and always should be.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Also reported by the BBC
January 11th Canadian freestyle skier ******* ******* died from injuries sustained in a training accident.Tests showed the freestyle skier had sustained "irreversible damage to her brain", a family spokeswoman said. *******, the four-time Winter X Games champion, crashed on the same superpipe where snowboarder Kevin Pearce suffered a traumatic brain injury during a training accident in late 2009.

Many professional football players have suffered from drug taking, depression and brain damage. Is there a link between that and heading the ball? Perhaps this writer would like to promote the banning of any skiing, snowboarding and heading the ball in football matches.
He is looking for self promotion and attention In a subject on which he obviously has done very little research, knows very little about, resulting with a poor and unsubstantiated conclusions

rocketbob

Have they done similar studies on nightclub bouncers? This is another role where violence can be expected as part of the job but I don't hear for anyone calling for nightclubs to be banned based on anecdotal and limited scientific evidence. Also, boxing and MMA are still allowed and they are more directly linked to brain damage.

The bottom line is that sport and many occupations can be dangerous. Studies should be carried out to understand the risks but people should be allowed to make an informed choice.