EIHL Play Off Format. Stick or Twist.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #1
Question for all just raised in case the EIHL want to know of public opinion towards this for future reference.

Would you like the EIHL Play Offs to remain as the current format i.e four games (Quater Final, Semi Final and Final).

Or

Would you like it changed to a series format covering a best of five games and meaning to win there are a minimum of nine and maximum of fifteen games played. You play home and away and seedings are dictated by finishing position in regular season.

My own personal opinion is I'd like to see it changed. Play Off hockey has and always will be the best that the sport has to offer and to have it all done and dusted in three games seems like wasting an asset. Teams going at it hammer and tongs for five games just really appeals to me especially if it was linked up with a good TV contract with sky. It would increase the number of games and therefore revenues and I think the chance to get more fans to see play off games would be a very good thing for increasing fan numbers across the UK. I see the benefits behind Nottingham and it is a unique and special weekend I've enjoyed for alot of years but I just think the play offs as an entire feature needs to be incresed in stature not limited to two weekends at the end of the year. For me its series.

zoesdevil

Totally agree plus the joy of the play-offs goes on longer! Plus if you have a bad game in the first you can always get it back the next game!!
Hope I've got what ya saying right with the 5 game process? :?

Ocko

Definitely a series. Having a weekend just really devalues the competition and what should be the be all and end all of their season.

Cant see it changing though as this is what lines Eamon Convery and Andy French's pockets.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #4
You've got it. Play Home, Away, Home, Away and Home to finish. Therefore the team finishing higher in the league gets the advantage of starting and finishing the series at home with only two road trips thrown in. Makes regular season standings count for alot more also. Should ensure top two teams meet for finals series but is way open to upsets also. Went with five as I think seven would be to many fixtures to fit in especially with the Arena teams and all the politics that goes with them.

Just think also it means for the lesser teams if they get blown out one game atleast they can wipe slate clean and start again next game without the tie having effectively been rendered pointless due to an outragous aggregate score.

Know what you are saying there Ocko but I have a feeling there grip on the league is loosening and now is as good a time as any to try to get things changed. Hence the thread really.

James

Administrator
Isn't this idea usually shot down for a number of reasons.

Ice Time. It's bad enough trying to get it organised for the season let alone having to book 2 or 3 extra games post season .. possibly, depending on the season the team have.
Players. Currently players are (I'm led to believe) paid by the league for the finals weekend. Who pays for the players, their accommodation for the playoff weeks. It could be an extra 2 weeks, it could be 3 or 4. I really don't think the teams have the flexibility the bigger leagues have.

sure there are other reasons ..Not to say I wouldn't rather it though.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #6
Nothing directed at you James just the points raised. Those points are exactly why this league languihes where it does in the grand scheme of things. Those are all valid but this is what the League owners and employees should be working on to address in order to improve the product. If people want it they need to seriously look at how they can make it happen not defer it under the same old excuses.

For my mind if you made it Sat GAME 1, Sun 2, Wed 3, Sat 4, Sun 5. First Round
Wed Game 1, Sat 2, Sun 3, Wed 4, Sat 5. Second Round
Wed Game 1, Sat 2, Sun 3, Wed 4, Sat 5. Final Series.

That comes out at max five extra weeks all filled with games with all the game fives on the weekend for max gates. With the extra games surely the teams can finance the squads for that extra period with the added bonus that these games being high product and high tension would almost definately bring in the biggest gates of the season.

I know the shadow of the Arena teams looms very large over this very loose plan but at some point these teams have to get with the program. The only two I actually see being a problem is Belfast or Sheffield. Hey if you can't keep you're fixtures with how your club is organised its off down to Dundonald or Ice Sheffield for you.

Gazza272

Mooney#16 said:
I know the shadow of the Arena teams looms very large over this very loose plan but at some point these teams have to get with the program. The only one I actually see being a problem is Belfast or Sheffield. Hey if you can't keep you're fixtures with how your club is organised its off down to Dundonald or Ice Sheffield for you.

Its got nothing to do with any of the arena teams getting with the programme though.There just isnt any physical ice. Belfast are doubly in trouble as Dundonald is closed for hockey at the moment I believe and thats why they haent played any games there this season.

If theres a more profitable show on at the arena there is simply nothing any of the teams can do.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #8
Negotiate it at the start of the season is a good start. You can't tell me that the O wouldn't be filled for a Finals Series Game 5 winner takes all game. That has to carry a certain financial appeal in itself at the table.

This is a frustration as its the teams who splash the cash that also seem to hinder the leagues improvement. I do wonder what they actually bring to the table sometimes. Play out of buildings they shouldn't and then plead its not there fault. May not be there fault but its there problem and they need to start fixing it rather than sitting on there hands.

davew

There is something unique about our end of season play-off weekend, and that should be the crowning glory of a tough, and hockey filled play-off tounament.

The play-off groups were supposed to be re-instated this season, and it only wasn't because of the late return of Hull to the league.

Certainly for me the present 3 game farce devalues the brand of hockey I thoroughly enjoy; each and every game should be a tough gritty battle to the trophy.

I do hope that next season's fixtures and format is to decided sooner than later.

Gazza272

Mooney#16 said:
Negotiate it at the start of the season is a good start. You can't tell me that the O wouldn't be filled for a Finals Series Game 5 winner takes all game. That has to carry a certain financial appeal in itself at the table.

This is a frustration as its the teams who splash the cash that also seem to hinder the leagues improvement. I do wonder what they actually bring to the table sometimes. Play out of buildings they shouldn't and then plead its not there fault. May not be there fault but its there problem and they need to start fixing it rather than sitting on there hands.

But how do you negotiate it at the start of the sesaon? what happens if Belfast have to play less home games becauce they finish say 5th and thus arent the higher seed?

TheStub

I would love to see playoff series, but I think you would need the sport to big enough to almost sell out every game. That means the arenas would want to keep dates aside to ensure good gates.

You would also have to accept plenty of midweek games...which the arenas may prefer as playoff games would get the crowd regardless.

Your bigger issue, rather than a game 5 going ahead or not, but league position and home advantage. You couldn't ensure months in advance when and how many home games are required.

TheStub

Also, don't the players play for free in NA during the Playoffs? Following that model, we just pay accommodation.

The extra, probably packed, home games would sell it for most clubs. It would probably help fund the off season if a team manages to go deep.

Mooney#16

Thread starter #15
I know this is borderline pushing it as there isn't an easy solution. If the Giants, Steelers and Panthers and lets face it thats who we're talking about were to pre book the Slots for the entire weekends (four and a half in total) and then be afforded the luxury by the Arenas of sub letting the Arena out to clients they could find to fill the vacant slots you would hope with the gate from the Games and with the Sub let income could cover all the attached costs with a small profit at the end. By sub lets I mean things along the line off figure skating, rec hockey, sledge hockey and open training sessions all off which if allowed to be negotiated in this way could provide the financial buffer required. I refer to the Winter Classic's in the NHL where people and teams are allowed to use the rink in the build up and after the game for a price and people pay good money for the privalage. Having access to Arena ice pads doesn't come along that often after all.
I know this is wishful thinking and probably been asked off the Arenas and disregarded but just trying find avenues for improvement.

I shall think on.

TheStub

Tripple post :lol:

I also like the ways the Czech leagues deal with promotion and relegation. The team who finishes top of the second league can challenge the bottom team of the top league to a promotion series. Best of five, winner plays top flight hockey next year. That would a hell of a spectacular, and means a team has to try and be competitive or fall out of the league - but the challenge aspect means a lower team can try and move up if they want, not be forced to.

Definitely a series.. although with that, it probably would be best to extend the season by 2-3 weeks rather than try and cram them into the current one.

No downside I guess!! :lol: