EIHL/NIHL Cup competition?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #21
Its not about scrapping the challenge cup its about expanding it to say the top 4 NIHL teams and less games against the same teams over and over, the chance of an upset, the chance for up and coming players to play at a higher level in bigger arenas, maybe their game getting on freesport.
I myself like the underdog, i like to see new talent, i like to see players given a chance.

kingmo19.1

It’s a romantic idea and I love seeing the underdog cause an upset, but a stacked EIHL team would absolutely muller an NIHL team. That’s hardly a great spectacle for the EIHL team fans and neither enjoyable for the NIHL teams fans. Yes, there might be an upset once in a blue moon (a la Italy in the 6 Nations) but by the time it happens it would be in front of about 200 fans. Imagine Todd trying to sellout the Viola on a Saturday night for a home game v Peterborough after we’ve smashed them 20-0 the previous week! Would you pay to go and see that ???? The arena teams would run a massive loss for those games.

Dundee can hardly generate a sizeable crowd against the EIHL’s finest. I’d imagine a home game v Telford would fail to cover the electricity bill.

The problem with hockey in the U.K. is the massive gulf between the EIHL and the NIHL. If for instance the EIHL ran with 9 imports and the NIHl with say 6 then it might be worth looking at then, but at the moment, the difference is too big.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #23
Fair point but the challenge cup definitely needs a shake up without having to travel out of the UK.
I've always said i'm not bothered with the challenge cup as it is. Maybe a knockout comp for the top 8 of the season before then a 3 game final.

kingmo19.1

The challenge cup for me is almost a dead rubber of a competition - the clubs obviously need it to generate revenue, but the format is all wrong. Would be far more exciting if they ran it like the following :-

Live draw like in football.
Straight knock out, one home game and one away. Winner on aggregate advances, loser is out.
Final (one off game) at a neutral venue.

Make the remaining games up by expanding the playoffs into the old format.

moggy#9

I personally have absolutely zero interest in watching minnow teams against the elite league. Really, there is very little off the likes of the devils to gain, but a lot to lose in terms of potential injuries. If we want to make the challenge cup more interesting, invite some teams from say France, Denmark and the Netherlands. Far more interesting and a possible precursor to league expansion.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #26
The point is the accessibility of away travel. Its a bit much for people to travel away for a new cup format and then again for CHL or Continental Cup.
The CHL is a prestigious cup but would fans pay out again for weekends away for a bog average cup competition? Some may yes who can afford it.
3 away games in CHL and minimum say of 2 away games in a new cup format, that's allot of money needed without it being an expansion of the league.
If the cup format is changed and stays within the UK then its accessible to all fans.
We already have 2 cups for European teams so then this basically would be a third. Is there a need for a third?

Last edited:

moggy#9

The point is the accessibility of away travel. Its a bit much for people to travel away for a new cup format and then again for CHL or Continental Cup.
The CHL is a prestigious cup but would fans pay out again for weekends away for a bog average cup competition? Some may yes who can afford it.
3 away games in CHL and minimum say of 2 away games in a new cup format, that's allot of money needed without it being an expansion of the league.
If the cup format is changed and stays within the UK then its accessible to all fans.
We already have 2 cups for European teams so then this basically would be a third. Is there a need for a third?
But what's the point of accessible of away travel if it's a game that people don't want to watch. Telford? Slough? Swindon? I did those numerous times in the 80s, they weren't great to visit then. I doubt they've improved with age. I suspect that other than the hard core, few people would make those trips and the home games would be half empty.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #28
Is that any different to the frolunda fans?
Playing a minnow team, us. Their arena wasn't exactly packed to the rafters and I think they played in a smaller arena to their normal one I think I heard the commentators say.

I think this horse you are flogging died many years ago Kev!!!
And comparing the Frolunda chl situation to that of what ours would be in this new competition is miles apart, never mind, say that of Dundee

Kevlar68

Thread starter #30
I like the idea of giving the little guy a chance but if it's not to be then it's not to be but the challenge cup does need changing or dropping to give the players a less packed season. The only time the viola was full for the challenge cup was the finals.

Wannabe2

We had good crowds against Flames/ Blaze/ Giants and Panthers in the cup, as for playing less games that would be detrimental to the clubs income. Myself I enjoyed those games don’t see the problem myself. Stay Safe.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #32
I myself don't have any enthusiasm for the competition, some others don't but some do. There's no additional incentive for the winning team like a qualifying round for continental cup. If there was a incentive like that then I may be more interested.