Drums and Block 2/3

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
If I were totally honest, the drums should be together for most games - but I would love to see drums in block 2 and 15 during big games. Without walls, the triangle would enhance the focus of the sound and help build the rhythm.

But, if there are drums they need to lead the chanting for most the game. For most games, push the drums together and start off the chanting. If the drums are the lead then all the arguments about delay, physics, everything vanish. The drums can't be behind the chant if they are leading it.

My biggest gripe - hit the drums harder. To lead chants simplify and make every stroke count. Maybe a modified tuning of the drums would help here? Bring the bass tones of the snare up and bring some snap into it - crank the top head up, the bottom head to match and tension the snare wire. If there is excessive ring, a dab of tap on the top head will bring it out.

Same goes for toms - the tighter the heads the more energy is transfered. I'm not talking thousands of Nm, but a good tension will give the drums some real punch and let them cut through.

All that isn't intended as criticism, but tuning a drum may be something that a "drummer" may be able to give advice on. In fact, I can bring a tuning key and lend a hand if wanted.

So - crank the heads up and start a chant where ever there is a lull. The drummers are the center of the chants.
Great post, and the kind of technical advice I am sure people would approve of and benefit from. It would enhance the experience for everyone that way.

TheStub

Re: Re: Drums and Block 2/3

Wannabe2 said:
Yes we dont want drums in block 2 and to us thats constructive enough, its a matter of opinion mate.
Yes, everything is a matter of opinion. Remember yours if worth no more or less than anyone else's.

My preference would be drums where they are, vocals from blocks 2 & 3 and horns in some other block, thinking 15 as noise in all corners then and not in my ear ;)

Stub, I'd be happy for you to come and give me a hand with mine.. It has seen better days in terms of how much noise it makes and probably needs a good toying with!

Clare said:
As a drummer and a block 2-er, I'm all for the drums being in one or both discussed locations.

As WelshHabsFan said, the snares are too high pitched. Needs toms and a variety of interesting percussion to get some good chants going.

Could I also just point out that the "lack of solid walls" is not a valid argument. Light travels faster than sound and I have noticed on more than one occasion that the boys in block 8 are quite simply, out of time using my eyes.
Since you are using your eyes in Block 2 to watch the drums and not the game, is this an explanation of why it took you all four years to come up with ' Pease your massive aaaaargghh ' He has been massive for about 5 years, and you talk about timing and metronomes You need a calendar to measure that sort of timing

DevilDom

Its really amusing reading this thread.

I guess it shows how the hockey is less than exciting at the moment when the topic with most posts for ages is about drums!

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:

I guess it shows how the hockey is less than exciting at the moment when the topic with most posts for ages is about drums!
I know what you mean. I don't think the hockey is unexciting per se at the moment, I just think that the outcome of 2 league points at this point in this season is less exciting than the same time last year. Oh what would we have given for this run of opposition to close out last season...

I am just happy to see people discussing how to best create more noise and atmosphere on game nights. Be even nicer if it could be done without a little sniping but hey ho ;)

How good is it to see Sean taking on board some of the technical points though and accepting help? Always humbling when the teenager is schooling the greybeards (and Clare :DWD ) on etiquette. One thing I always agree with Stub on (shockingly to many of you not the only one :lol: ) is that discussion and debate instead of prickly opposing pot-shots is always better.

I usually sit in block 2 and preety much have all season. One game against the capitals ( It was a groupon game, so i bought a late ticket and had to deal with 8 ) ..I think it was the caps but anyway, The travel of sound is weird from block 2 and the drummer has to drum off beat to be in sync with block 2,3. Fair play to the bloke he did give every effort to get the block going. Drummers always set the pace of the march as you follow into battle anyway :D

DevilDom

Paul Sullivan said:
DevilDom said:

I know what you mean. I don't think the hockey is unexciting per se at the moment, I just think that the outcome of 2 league points at this point in this season is less exciting than the same time last year. Oh what would we have given for this run of opposition to close out last season...

I am just happy to see people discussing how to best create more noise and atmosphere on game nights. Be even nicer if it could be done without a little sniping but hey ho ;)

How good is it to see Sean taking on board some of the technical points though and accepting help? Always humbling when the teenager is schooling the greybeards (and Clare :DWD ) on etiquette. One thing I always agree with Stub on (shockingly to many of you not the only one :lol: ) is that discussion and debate instead of prickly opposing pot-shots is always better.
Agreed. I love a good balanced debate. We seem to have experts on almost everything on this forum ;) which always adds to the pot as well.

I still find the games enjoyable even without the huge excitement of last year when we were truly spoilt all season. Unfortunately I can add nothing with regards drums and I choose to make my noise with the rest of the noisest block in the rink in block 3! I'd be happy to offer some advice to those in black 2 who feel they need it though! :twisted:

DevilDom said:

I was thinking the same, amazing how a simple thread has people politics in the background!

TheStub said:
If I were totally honest, the drums should be together for most games - but I would love to see drums in block 2 and 15 during big games. Without walls, the triangle would enhance the focus of the sound and help build the rhythm.

But, if there are drums they need to lead the chanting for most the game. For most games, push the drums together and start off the chanting. If the drums are the lead then all the arguments about delay, physics, everything vanish. The drums can't be behind the chant if they are leading it.

My biggest gripe - hit the drums harder. To lead chants simplify and make every stroke count. Maybe a modified tuning of the drums would help here? Bring the bass tones of the snare up and bring some snap into it - crank the top head up, the bottom head to match and tension the snare wire. If there is excessive ring, a dab of tap on the top head will bring it out.

Same goes for toms - the tighter the heads the more energy is transfered. I'm not talking thousands of Nm, but a good tension will give the drums some real punch and let them cut through.

All that isn't intended as criticism, but tuning a drum may be something that a "drummer" may be able to give advice on. In fact, I can bring a tuning key and lend a hand if wanted.

So - crank the heads up and start a chant where ever there is a lull. The drummers are the center of the chants.
finally someone with a bit of technical knowledge ;), you say hit it harder but i find rim-shots help more than just 'smashing it in rage' obviously there is a fine line when it comes to the quicker rhythms but it helps slightly, i have mine set up so the top skin is less tense than bottom and not much snare, as it gives more of a lower base tone, but with the lack of a floor tom we are in an endless circle.

as for Clairs post... you said about watching us being out of time and not being able to use 'no solid wall's' as a valid argument, i suggest you sit up with us and see how the noise travels in the tent, you say you shout and we are out of time yet what you have to keep in mind is that the time it takes for the noise you make to get to us, us to reply and you to hear it (and we'r talking milliseconds) would be considerably faster if there was solid walls as there would be a stonger bounce off a solid wall than off a a piece of hollow ply board, think of it as the difference between a tennis racket and a pin-pong bat.

WelshHabsFan said:
I'm all for drums but they're too high pitched for a lot of people to be comfortable sat close to.

I move we clear a space in the new rink for a load of kettle drums and an oriental gong. Awesome. That would put the fear of god into any visiting team.
I agree with this, we all know how effective the Bison drums were, much prefer the lower pitch drums

TheStub

Sparta have a whole drum orchestra, with snare, bass, tenor, mid range and low toms.

They even work it out so they all play different parts to make an overall rhythm.

Wannabe2

Drums definately have there place at the rink, and can and do add some great atmosphere to our gaff. Paul, Mike, Sean and others do and have done a great job over the years, and i like the idea of having a place in the new building and a chinese gong sounds awesome. Its just that not everyone wants to be sat next to or close by, and that can be for various reasons, and to a certain extent age also comes into it. I remember Tonsils bringing his sax at one time, and we also miss that guy.

As a former Block 8 drummer I am upset at some of the comments, perhaps they shouldn't bother and it can be the library atomosphere some people wish for. People know where the drummers are and pick their seats accordingly, I'd be miffed if I paid for my season ticket to find drums had appeared. I think there should be consideration to those who don't like them, I do, so would sit in Block 8 or 9, my choice.

As I said I'm a former drummer of block 8, so have my drum sitting in my garage needing a slight repair from when it fell down the steps and nearly hit someones pint over ! its the bracket that holds the leg, I already repaired one but didn't realise one of the others had broken too, they cost about £10. So if anyone would like to give it a good home please let me know. Its red.