Drums and Block 2/3

I'm all for drums but they're too high pitched for a lot of people to be comfortable sat close to.

I move we clear a space in the new rink for a load of kettle drums and an oriental gong. Awesome. That would put the fear of god into any visiting team.

WelshHabsFan said:
I'm all for drums but they're too high pitched for a lot of people to be comfortable sat close to.

I move we clear a space in the new rink for a load of kettle drums and an oriental gong. Awesome. That would put the fear of god into any visiting team.
this is why we introduced a floor Tom, to give more of a base tone which did help, but it takes up a lot of room and with the rows so narrow we don't have many options.

As a drummer and a block 2-er, I'm all for the drums being in one or both discussed locations.

As WelshHabsFan said, the snares are too high pitched. Needs toms and a variety of interesting percussion to get some good chants going.

Could I also just point out that the "lack of solid walls" is not a valid argument. Light travels faster than sound and I have noticed on more than one occasion that the boys in block 8 are quite simply, out of time using my eyes. Never mind "Needs more cowbell", I think they "Need more metronomes"!

I've gotten quite frustrated on occasion at how when Block 2 start a chant, the drummers seem to trample all over it with a totally different beat. Its not even like they're TRYING to join in.

Anywhoo.... Call this my vote for drums in Block 2! Practically the whole of the back row are drummers, or at least rhythm instrument players! I'm sure we could pull off some fine sounds in that tent ;-)

Sheincar

Clare said:
As a drummer and a block 2-er, I'm all for the drums being in one or both discussed locations.

As WelshHabsFan said, the snares are too high pitched. Needs toms and a variety of interesting percussion to get some good chants going.

Could I also just point out that the "lack of solid walls" is not a valid argument. Light travels faster than sound and I have noticed on more than one occasion that the boys in block 8 are quite simply, out of time using my eyes. Never mind "Needs more cowbell", I think they "Need more metronomes"!

I've gotten quite frustrated on occasion at how when Block 2 start a chant, the drummers seem to trample all over it with a totally different beat. Its not even like they're TRYING to join in.

Anywhoo.... Call this my vote for drums in Block 2! Practically the whole of the back row are drummers, or at least rhythm instrument players! I'm sure we could pull off some fine sounds in that tent ;-)
As I believe you're a block 2er who attends v few games in a season ( I think the comment previously made is 1 game per team) I'd like to point out that you are incorrect. A number of the back row may be instrument players but not practically the whole row. As a few of us have said already, we chose block 2 partly because it was far away from the drums. If the drums now move into blocks 2 & 8 next season then I would rather move out of the block.

Sheincar

Charming as ever Clare. Of course given that you're rarely there why don't you go and sit in Block 8 & explain to their faces what they're doing wrong.

:DWD "How to win friends & influence people" Page 43

It seems to be pretty mcuh set as 2 & 3 being noisy blocks with the drummers in 8
Why change it?

Maybe some expert drummers from block 2 could advise block 8 if they're not happy?

In the new arena, it'll be all change anyways...

Sheincar

Imagine said:
:DWD "How to win friends & influence people" Page 43

It seems to be pretty mcuh set as 2 & 3 being noisy blocks with the drummers in 8
Why change it?

Maybe some expert drummers from block 2 could advise block 8 if they're not happy?

In the new arena, it'll be all change anyways...
But I'll still sit far away from the drummers :lol:

Sheincar

So far as I can see only 1 person from Block 2 wants drums there & she doesn't go to many games so wouldn't be affected. And excuse me but DESTROYED!!!? I don't think so!!

Sheincar

TheStub said:
This thread was started by 2 people who have season tickets in block 2 and fancied drums.
The OP was shoes_off who didn't answer my question as to where they sit. The 2nd poster was wannabe who didn't want drums in block 2. Perhaps I should have said 1 poster & her fiance want drums.

Clare said:
Light travels faster than sound as you said, we watch the game and listen to the crowd. Clearly the sounds we send back also take the longer time to travel than what you see us do.
Quite strange how when we do the 'fast one' it's the blocks in question that look out of time.

Paul Sullivan

Been a while since the drumming chestnut came up here.

Fwiw I have yet to see a 'proper' drummer have any success at getting a crowd going. It's very little to do with ability and technique - it is, providing you have basic rhythmic skills, ALL about timing within the game. After a good shift, during sustained pressure, a hit / fight etc - these are the key points, not whether someone is an accomplished drummer. In my experience trained drummers attempt far too much complexity as they don't like the limitations of the required chants. Then it really sounds muddy. I am absolutely NOT saying drummers can't do this, just that I have seen a few try and fail down the years.

Anyone who saw the efforts of Mike and all the drummers in the 2006 Challenge Cup Final will know that (no offence to him or anyone else) one does not have to be an accomplished drummer or percussionist to successfully gauge the mood.

As for location well there's nothing stopping anyone from bringing a drum. It's not geographically restricted and perhaps it would improve cohesion if another block or two took up the charge. Does that have to be Block 2 / 3? No. I would argue 11-13 would be perfect in fact as then all three sides have noise makers. Also the vocal-based singing and bater from 2+3 might be hampered by drums.

I do however get frustrated at open slating of people who are doing something to improve the atmosphere without ever speaking to them face to face. People do have feelings and when they are volunteering a cavalier comment such as those made on here and previously on Twitter can have an impact. I dread to think how things would go for us in the noise stakes if the Block 8 guys hung up their sticks as they'd had enough of being told they were no good...

A far bigger concern than the drums however is the overall noise levels whilst the game is in play. Far too often there have been moments that Twickenham made its reputation on in the BBT this season - during winning games and losing ones. Observation seems to reveal very little noise until we score, less if the opposition score first and a culture where the noise is very much dictated by on ice success. Shame really as it is very much the other way around if you ask the players.

I have had repeated requests for more music, every stoppage. I get them most games. From the dressing room, not the fans. I would be ecstatic if I never needed to play a single track as the noise from the stands was so continuous.

The best games these days seem to be Braehead and Panthers as Braehead have easily the best quality travelling support and Panthers bring a lot of people. Then they bounce off of 2 and 3 and hey presto she's a shouting match all of a sudden.

I say we all make an effort to bring the other blocks along. I believe it's the separation of the noise making blocks that is the problem, not the ability of those contained within to generate that noise.

Let's have the Red Army dictate the audible course of the game, not the match itself.

TheStub

If I were totally honest, the drums should be together for most games - but I would love to see drums in block 2 and 15 during big games. Without walls, the triangle would enhance the focus of the sound and help build the rhythm.

But, if there are drums they need to lead the chanting for most the game. For most games, push the drums together and start off the chanting. If the drums are the lead then all the arguments about delay, physics, everything vanish. The drums can't be behind the chant if they are leading it.

My biggest gripe - hit the drums harder. To lead chants simplify and make every stroke count. Maybe a modified tuning of the drums would help here? Bring the bass tones of the snare up and bring some snap into it - crank the top head up, the bottom head to match and tension the snare wire. If there is excessive ring, a dab of tap on the top head will bring it out.

Same goes for toms - the tighter the heads the more energy is transfered. I'm not talking thousands of Nm, but a good tension will give the drums some real punch and let them cut through.

All that isn't intended as criticism, but tuning a drum may be something that a "drummer" may be able to give advice on. In fact, I can bring a tuning key and lend a hand if wanted.

So - crank the heads up and start a chant where ever there is a lull. The drummers are the center of the chants.