Doug Clarkson is a Devil

Devil94

Hard to find clips of him because he's hardly played. Bit of a gamble but could pay off and be a hard hitting forward who drops the gloves, and also puts up a few points. Can't imagine he'll be much fun to play against in the BBT.

Finny

This could be an absolute corker of a signing.

He's shown he can score lots of goals at both junior and college level, and his brief stint in the ECHL is pretty good too.

It looks like he lost out on two years of hockey by moving colleges and has never had a chance to settle down in one place since. I doubt he played an NHL exhibition game or AHL games if he was a one dimensional goon.

To be honest I'm surprised he is coming over here so early instead of signing with an ECHL team and try to get call ups that way. I guess with so few games in recent years it needed a club to take a chance on him and I'm delighted it is us that has done it.

Mooney#16

Tough guys carry quite a premium in the salery stakes so Doug is clearly a sort of unknown gamble. Not to expensive allowing adjustment to other signings but hopefully with enough raw talent to be coached into quite the power forward. Hopefully he has the discipline and desire to play the game and through the season will develop into being an absolute handful for teams to contain from getting to their net.

Only mild downside is Keefe is big buddies with David Clarkson so you have to deduce probably friends with his little bro. Keefe along with Lloyd are the two opposition players who seem to best thrieve in the BBT at hurting the Devils. I hope Doug has it in him to really get at Keefe and Lloyd and slow those two down with giving them and the opposition D a damn good rattle if they start to crank up the hitting.

James

Administrator
If anything that's a good thing. It seems the more players are mates off the ice the more happy they are to give it a go on the ice for bragging rights. Also if Kelman can protect Clarkson from the ravages of Moray the way he protected Keefe we'll be onto a winner.

Gazza272

Finny said:
This could be an absolute corker of a signing.

He's shown he can score lots of goals at both junior and college level, and his brief stint in the ECHL is pretty good too.

It looks like he lost out on two years of hockey by moving colleges and has never had a chance to settle down in one place since. I doubt he played an NHL exhibition game or AHL games if he was a one dimensional goon.

To be honest I'm surprised he is coming over here so early instead of signing with an ECHL team and try to get call ups that way. I guess with so few games in recent years it needed a club to take a chance on him and I'm delighted it is us that has done it.
He has picked up a hand injury in each of his pro years it seems as well. Last years being particularly nasty. Which is a bit of a worry for a guy employed with a role of needing to batter someone if needed.

In saying that I think it could prove to be a very shrewd signing.

Wow just what we needed; a big f off enforcer!!! David Clarkson's brother too! Could be a good means of attracting others to the club in the future as well.

wildthing74

Like the look of this one. With Killer at the ckub now I can't see us getting bent over and taking it off the league anymore when it comes to discipline so would be nice to think he can play tough and not get banned for half a season like our previous tough guys.

Jon

Looks like a guy with a point to prove and a chance to do it,great hands for a big guy,tough on the forecheck and good on the boards,i expect him to do well.

TheStub

I'm hoping he will be a physical player in his brother's mould - I've long been a massive fan of David and have said for many seasons that was the player the devils have needed.

So I'm expecting a good physical presence around the net, a strong guy with good hands to make space for his line mates and rattle up assists and goals - and occasionally a fight when the job demands it. I'm not expecting there to be too many fights, a good though guy doesn't need to

jimmy snels

Suprised theres not pages of excitement around this guy. Looks like a real devil to me! Like to see him play with a couple of real good line mates. Think he could be a real handful at this level in the mold salters at panthers

Ocko

He scored in the pre-season game for the Flyers too. His stats show you a guy who was just waiting out his chance for a shot at the show. Nothing alarming by the lack of games, happens to a lot of young guys, especially enforcers.

We finally have a player with a bit of presence about him. Deeds, Conboy and the others since Voth haven't had any intimidation at all.

drainage

Wow he's a whopper! And whilst his stats look light for me Franny rarely signs turkeys so I am hoping this gent is going to make an impression here!

Every day I get a little more excited ..... Hurry up September and not just cos it's my birthday!

TK had learnt his lessons in Belfast. Over the course of his time he signed two out and out goons, McMorrow and Rushton who really didn't work out well, I would be surprised if he's gone back to that type.( as a giants fan I hope he has):)

ASHIPP

A player with a big physical presence and Lordy clearly knows the contribution he believes Doug will make.

I seem to remember a much loved big guy with a point to prove joining the Devils a few seasons ago. No.26 became a Devils' legend.

Welcome to Cardiff, Doug. Can't wait for September.

Scathing quips on twitter from Simms suggest the green-eyed monster is awake. Perhaps he should be more concerned about Sheffield fans' unrest at the lack of signing news. For someone who knows so much about ice hockey he should know that stats only tell part of the story.....it's the contribution to the team that's important. Guess he forgot that bit when Tim Spencer was signed last season!

Devil94

Good point. Just looked at Spencer's stats before he joined Steelers, and they're very similar to DC. AHL/ECHL teams, few different teams a season, not many games, not many points.
Spencer turned out to be a more than capable d-man and tough guy in this league, and now has gone on to get a AHL contract.