DOPS

Kal

I think Fournier will be done for checking from behind at best but will probably get checking to the head due to the stupid rule that if the head hits the plexi at all DOPS calls it checking to the head.

I've rewatched the highlights and im still not sure what the Nickerson request is, i think kneeing can get a ban but I can't see it happening.

voth26

It will interesting to see what Nelson and Coyle get for Steelers both had match pens for checking to the head!! Sameting Bordy had a game ban for wasn't it?

Devil_Abroad

It will interesting to see what Nelson and Coyle get for Steelers both had match pens for checking to the head!! Sameting Bordy had a game ban for wasn't it?
Bordy was assessed a Match in the game and then assessed and confirmed by DOPS. So if Nelson and Coyle were assessed at the game DOPS will automatically review as they did with Bordy. If the call was wrong then the match will be changed to something lesser. If the call was right then the match stands and they miss a game. If it was dangerous and reckless or caused injury then they may get and extra 1 or 2 games. I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC23

I don't think the Nickerson request is for kneeing, as I believe that was Martinelli, in the highlights you can see the long hair on the player who knees Culligan.

Possibly the hit at the very start of the game by the bench (which wasn't in the highlights) which enticed Mark Louis to drop the gloves after 12 seconds...?

BostonBart22

Bordy was assessed a Match in the game and then assessed and confirmed by DOPS. So if Nelson and Coyle were assessed at the game DOPS will automatically review as they did with Bordy. If the call was wrong then the match will be changed to something lesser. If the call was right then the match stands and they miss a game. If it was dangerous and reckless or caused injury then they may get and extra 1 or 2 games. I think.

by hook or by crook [ t. smith ] nelson and coyle will play sunday.

Devil_Abroad

I don't think the Nickerson request is for kneeing, as I believe that was Martinelli, in the highlights you can see the long hair on the player who knees Culligan.

Possibly the hit at the very start of the game by the bench (which wasn't in the highlights) which enticed Mark Louis to drop the gloves after 12 seconds...?
It's no 50 Nickerson (the beard) - so I presume it will be the kneeing as we have seen no footage of the other incident.

Have Hope#35

Nelson has already served his Match Ban as his penalty was called on the Saturday... He therefore missed the Sunday Game v Coventry!

JC23

It's no 50 Nickerson (the beard) - so I presume it will be the kneeing as we have seen no footage of the other incident.

You may be right, although I will point out Martinelli has a pretty hench beard of his own.

Last edited:

drainage

Nelson has already served his Match Ban as his penalty was called on the Saturday... He therefore missed the Sunday Game v Coventry!
DOPS also stated 2 days ago they will review the incident automatically to see if any supplementary discipline is required - he automatically missed Coventry but is still subject to review (as was Bordy) - not saying he will get anything simply he will be reviewed

DevilDom

It will be interesting to see what happens with Fournier. It was a penalty and should have been called on the night, however I think it looks worse than it actually was. When Fournier initially goes to make the check it is shoulder to shoulder however Foster turns in and due to the speed both players are going Fournier ends up checking in the back to the boards. My view is that it should be 2 plus 10 for checking from behind however it does look worse as there is a whiplash effect due to the speed of both players and Foster's head does hit into the boards so it could easily be called for checking to the head which may result in a bigger penalty. I'm hoping that DOPS will take into account the speed at which the players are going and the late movement by Foster and not raise it to a match or further. Also, there was no apparent injury to the player so hopefully that will reduce any updgrade.

Devil_Abroad

I agree it could go either way. But DOPS do tend to advise 'there is no 'clean' hit to the head' i.e. If the head is hit then even if it's accidental they will still penalise. I'm with you though in that I hope they only give 2+10 rather than match.

terry hunt

So how does this affect them?
Is this just a wrist slap or "we will get you next time" warning.
Seems a bit unbalanced that their previous records are not taken in to consideration.

Ocko

There previous records would have been taken into account, I just don't think either player has had a major penalty for the offence they have been cited for. Basically it just means they get 20 minutes added to their PIMs and if they have the same offence again they can throw the repeat offender at them.