DOPS Statistics

Thread starter #1
Does anybody know if there are any archived versions of last season's DOPS reports?

With the recent Fretter incident, the DOPS are an even sorer topic of conversation than usual. There's a lot of mudslinging going on and a lot of people (including myself) are having a hard time moving past prejudices.

I'm doing a bit of a statistical analysis of the DOPS reviews, more for the sake of curiosity than trying to prove anything. I'm noting down how and when penalties are upgraded and punishments increased, and to what teams. I'm looking at which teams are more likely to report incidents and I'm working out a way of looking at the DOPS' reaction to head injuries.

This will never be perfect - a number does not explain the justification behind an incident. Just because a team had five reviews levelled against them that were unpunished does not mean that team is being favoured; it's entirely possible that those five calls were correct. However, an analysis taking into account several incidents may be able to highlight trends for closer examination.

To that end, I've only got reliable info for the 2017/2018 season, and that's not enough to paint a decent picture. Because of the site update on the EIHL, I can't find any older reports. The only info I have from before September is from the DOPS Youtube channel, but this information is unreliable; it only shows penalties that were upgraded and would skew the data. The Wayback machine is a no-go, too, and the twitter links to non-existent pages.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

This could be fascinating.... if you are on Twitter then that might be a good source as they generally only tweet reviews and outcomes so there shouldn’t be much data to go through....

Kal

thing is alot of the time they tweet links to the articles that are lost when the league redo there website every year

Thread starter #4
Exactly this. Further to that there are tweets with results and details in, but I don't think they tweet every decision; they tended to only post the bigger ones. And unless I record the full, week-by-week reviews then the data becomes skewed.

Nevertheless, I'll keep updating it with the new results. I don't think I want to share it yet, though the information is readily available to anyone. There are a few trends starting to form, but as it stands there is nowhere near enough data to go on. I don't want to jump the gun!