Do we have the right line combinations?

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
Carrying on from the 'Are we tough enough?' topic, without wishing to be negative at all, because i'm really enjoying what's on show this season, I think there are a few tweaks to be made that could turn us into a real force this season.

Now I am in absolutely no way a coach. I also trust in Lord and Franny, after all they (and most fans) know way more than me!

But having watched the team in near enough every game i think we have got the line combinations slightly wrong...

Morissette, Martin and Lord seem to have excellent chemistry forming and are finding a way to score - i would keep this line together.

Culligan and Haddad also have undoubted chemistry, but because of this, it seems that Walton doesn't get the puck often enough to have a major impact in 5 on 5 play. This is almost criminal as Walton (along with Martin) should be our go-to player and as yet we are really not exploiting his offensive game.

As the left winger, I would be inclined to break up our energy line (Mychan/Myers/Clarkson) and replace Walton directly with Mychan.

The outcome of this, is that there would be an added potency to a line where Walton calls the shots, Myers has the forecheck and Clarkson can create tons of space. Additionally, Clarkson seems to be a very intelligent player and his puck handling is better than he is getting credit for, I think Walton could set him up time and again.

The change would see a forced split of Mychan and Clarkson, who, alongside CJ have been an excellent forechecking unit so far, but have unfortunately had little offensive output despite creating good chances.

But I think Mychan could perform an excellent role on the wing of Culligan and Haddad, giving added protection to the two, and also creating even more energy on a line of 'young imports'. I think the three would really have fun together and would increase the production of points from Mychan, whilst Walton would flourish also... So win win.

I would reunite Walton with Haddad and Culligan on the PP unit.

Thoughts?

Ocko

Good points there Rempel16. I would be inclined to agree that our 5 on 5 play does need some tweaking. PP we are great, even strength we have stacks of possession and time on attack but find it hard to convert it to goals.

Personally I would swap Martin and Culligan. We aren't playing badly by any means so a feel a slight tweak rather than a overhaul would be better. At least to try and get the best output out of our stars. It's a risk to break up the Morisette-Martin-Lord line but it's early days in the season and worth the gamble IMO and with the chemistry that Lord and Mo already have a decent centre should slot in fairly easily.

Have Hope#35

Rempel16 said:
Carrying on from the 'Are we tough enough?' topic, without wishing to be negative at all, because i'm really enjoying what's on show this season, I think there are a few tweaks to be made that could turn us into a real force this season.

Now I am in absolutely no way a coach. I also trust in Lord and Franny, after all they (and most fans) know way more than me!

But having watched the team in near enough every game i think we have got the line combinations slightly wrong...

Morissette, Martin and Lord seem to have excellent chemistry forming and are finding a way to score - i would keep this line together.

Culligan and Haddad also have undoubted chemistry, but because of this, it seems that Walton doesn't get the puck often enough to have a major impact in 5 on 5 play. This is almost criminal as Walton (along with Martin) should be our go-to player and as yet we are really not exploiting his offensive game.

As the left winger, I would be inclined to break up our energy line (Mychan/Myers/Clarkson) and replace Walton directly with Mychan.

The outcome of this, is that there would be an added potency to a line where Walton calls the shots, Myers has the forecheck and Clarkson can create tons of space. Additionally, Clarkson seems to be a very intelligent player and his puck handling is better than he is getting credit for, I think Walton could set him up time and again.

The change would see a forced split of Mychan and Clarkson, who, alongside CJ have been an excellent forechecking unit so far, but have unfortunately had little offensive output despite creating good chances.

But I think Mychan could perform an excellent role on the wing of Culligan and Haddad, giving added protection to the two, and also creating even more energy on a line of 'young imports'. I think the three would really have fun together and would increase the production of points from Mychan, whilst Walton would flourish also... So win win.

I would reunite Walton with Haddad and Culligan on the PP unit.

Thoughts?
So if I'm right the above says "swap Mychan & Walton" in a nutshell!? I like the way the team is but I also see no reason why this couldn't work... It may be worth a punt in a couple of weeks if one of the aforementioned lines or players isn't producing points!

Temme

I think they're good as they are if i'm honest.

I still think Walton will be our top scorer next April, & moving him down 2 lines would crush his confidence, and ruin any partnership(s) that are gelling together.

Although it's very early days to be changing things - something which has arguably cost us in previous years (even if the players were terrible... Ross, Milam)

But all of the guys are doing a job as it stands & i'd give it a good few more weeks until things are evaluated - we're doing well as it stands in the league & the second line is looking deadly.

Sheincar said:
Have we had a full line up in any game?
Off the top of my head no. I'm sure it was Myers's first game back on Sunday and we were missing Mychan. Hopefully this weekend will be the first we will see our full line up. Be interesting to see if CJ's ice is reduced as I believe he has been doing wonders so far.

Sorry to post this in the wrong place but is Clarkson going to ice this weekend? Didn't know if anyone had heard anything.
I did ask him on twitter this evening and this was his reply:
not sure Jason. Taking it day by day with the Doctors
Had a nice exchange with him, top fella (with a great uppercut)

Ook said:
Sorry to post this in the wrong place but is Clarkson going to ice this weekend? Didn't know if anyone had heard anything.
I did ask him on twitter this evening and this was his reply:
not sure Jason. Taking it day by day with the Doctors
Had a nice exchange with him, top fella (with a great uppercut)
Cheers mate. Hopefully he will be in but safety first.

Temme

I guess with both Jesse and Dougie we know that they're week by week rather than anything long term.

My guess is that Jesse will be back (even if he is strapped up on the hand), and no idea with Dougie, as don't really know the severity of his injury!

jimmy snels

bluedevil said:
Benching Morrissette your first suggestion I guess? Only here because he's friends with Lord.

Too be fair although the most ridiculously vocal plenty suggested birbraer was unlucky to lose his place to him. I can quite proudly say I wasn't one of them and said about his pen shots and all round play :D
For me max had clearly met and chatted to enough fans to make the puck bunnies and hare's want to keep him. I personally care about results and team make up and clearly Lord does too! Great justified decision IMO

I think we should drop Bowns and play Max in net...and for PP he should come out and play forward and in the penalty shoot outs he should take them all. He can also do TK's job on the mic and sell SOHB tickets during the period break.

Wondered where Deeday was - not seen the 'We want Max instead of Jake' banners outside the tent as anticipated...maybe just maybe the club knew what they were doing??