Disgusted at Sky's hockey program 10th Feb

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Disgusted that the sky proggy thought they had so much great footage to show that they couldnt be bothered showing footage of the most influential Hockey player the Elite League has ever had. They were supplied with all the footage of Brads last night, but thought that showing just the game and not bothering showing the great man on the ice taking the totally deserved ovation from the Devils fans not worthy of any coverage, total total disgrace to you at mission control for that snub at the One player that deserved so much better. Yes Simmsy said his piece as did Finnerty,but since when has showing 2-3 mins of the biggest icon in Elite league history been less important than the constant rabbiting by the presenters, shame on everyone of you. Fridays program was the worse yet,cutting away from a fight when it hadnt finished, and then saying now to the Dundee game and showing the Blaze game, not impressed one bit on this latest effort, it is done on a shoe string obviously but come on there is average and there is poor, but unfortunately this one was the later.

I have recently had sky go, where I can watch on my laptop and Xbox.
I haven't watched the Elite show once this season because it sucks.
That was the main reason I paid the £35 per month.
Whilst watching the football I had endless "buffering" that just ruined the viewing. What with the reasons given and the fact that nobody wants to hear from you with any problems, I have now cancelled.
They WILL NOT get another penny from me.
I have instead signed up the NHL game centre which is heaps better in every aspect.

voth26

BeatBox said:
Whilst watching the football I had endless "buffering" that just ruined the viewing. What with the reasons given and the fact that nobody wants to hear from you with any problems, I have now cancelled.
I have instead signed up the NHL game centre which is heaps better in every aspect.
Beatbox can you give me the details where you get nhl games please

Diafol

There's a thread on THF which seems to suggest that the Sky show will be no more after this season. The quality of the footage used has deteriorated so badly over the last few weeks that it looks like it's been filmed with a mobile phone.

Voth26, have a look at NHL GameCenter Live. Can't post a link at the moment as on my phone but it's excellent !

TheStub

Re: Re: Disgusted at Sky's hockey program 10th Feb

Diafol said:
There's a thread on THF which seems to suggest that the Sky show will be no more after this season. The quality of the footage used has deteriorated so badly over the last few weeks that it looks like it's been filmed with a mobile phone.

Voth26, have a look at NHL GameCenter Live. Can't post a link at the moment as on my phone but it's excellent !
I was watching last weeks on YouTube yesterday, and the footage from some of the games is awful. Just buy a load of Flip HDs :lol:

It's a shame, and something that they should have really put some effort into improving the camera quality.

Like everything else this league does, it feels like we lack the vision to invest in improving.

Paul Sullivan

Whilst I am not quite as passionate about this as Wannabe, I do feel a quick shot of Vother getting an ovation / waving to the crowd would not only have been fitting for the guy's career, but was newsworthy and would have broadened the offering.

I know the guys that produce the show and they REALLY want the league to do well, and care about the product. I actually think moving from the studio to the rinks was a great idea and I thought the show from Dundee the previous week was their best effort yet.

We are of course passionate about Brad (me as much as anyone) here. I do think he deserved a little better from the roundup show but would like to hope that with a little more time they will re-visit the career of Brad before the season is out and give him a little more love.

Frankly with the amount of airtime Galbraith gets vs Vother, it would be criminal if Brad didn't get a proper send off on Sky.

jimmy snels

voth26 said:
BeatBox said:
Beatbox can you give me the details where you get nhl games please

http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/ice-hockey.html but u didnt get it from me ;) ;) ;)

Wannabe2

Thread starter #9
Simmsy is a huge fan of Galbraith thats why he gets so much attention, Jade is a top player you would be a fool to contest that, but jesus if the Voth had played for the Steelers the footage would have been 10 fold and thats without a shadow of doubt. This is not about my passion for Brad or the Devils, his record and reputation far superseeds my thoughts, just think we watch the program to see whats going on around the league, and not for constant claptrap.

I have mixed emotions on the show. Chris ellis commentates on the highlights about 5 seconds before their shown, which really annoys me (especially on goals). Also the presenters are normally talking to each other and not the camera. Although i do enjoy Ron Shudra and Brent pope analysing the games and making predictions.

I used you watch it all the time. Now I find it has completely lost the plot there is a lack of analysis (explain the tactics the coach's adopt), no seperate interview sections like there used to be, no hockey 101 (for new fans), poor quality camera work (looking at you Mr.Closeup in Belfast) and as for Chris Ellis well him talking on every game is a joke IMO. Honestly just have a listen to the guy talk you through a match, not good. I also hate this sort of flirty thing Anna and Dave try to put on, its become their show rather than a hockey show.

Wannabe, rather than send all that stuff of to sky why not put it on the Devils site so non paying sky subscribers can view it?

Koop11

For all its faults (there are many), I do feel the show has come a long way from where it was when it started. The recorded game that viewed for 2 hours when the show first hit the screens was painful to watch. It improved when the show became a highlight programme from around the league when they brought it into the studio. I do feel it has improved again by taking the viewer each week to a different venue so that the show can focus more on the home team, giving the viewers an insight into each club throughout the season.

Where the programme falls down is the footage from some of the venues from across the league. The Belfast camera work is so bad you miss most of the goals. Why is the camera zoomed in so close? Hull need to turn the contrast up on their camera and the footage always looks dark from their rink. Sheffield and Edinburgh place their camera goal end. Try and get it closer to the red line folks. Breahead is pathetic. If you were trying to sell a new franchise, you would speculate to accumulate and invest a few hundred quid in a decent camera but clearly, given the views of Mr Black, that is not going to happen.

It annoys me that the show purposely misses half of the fights. We’re trying to sell the game and whether people agree with the scraps or not, that is one of the main elements of the game that attract the neutral. Frank v King (great fight) and Gerad v Jurynec to name a few.

The staged chemistry between Simms and Woolhouse can be a little cringing but I can live with it. Chris Ellis is very average commentator. The over use of the word ‘situation’ and getting the scores wrong comes across awkward sometimes.

I guess we have to remember that the show does not have a big budget. That can be painfully obvious sometimes but I am a believer in having a highlight show to try and help promote the game and assist clubs with sponsorship revenue.

I guess a lot of the footage is provided by the clubs who may not have "Professional Cameramen" this does not include The Devils as I have always found our highlights to be of a good standard.

I don't know how other clubs obtain their footage but I assume its volunteers with their own cameras....

I don't have SKY but have watched the show via the EIHL website. It's pretty poor. Not only the game footage but also the actual programme.

If the EIHL really want to promote the sport and gain more coverage/viewers then I would start by getting rid of Televideo. I know for a fact that in the past Televideo don't always use "Camera Operators" to operate cameras.....

They do not have the best reputation in tv and there are plenty of other companies that could provide a better service with a better end product.

I suspect the main reason Televideo are used is they are cheap and Sheffield based.... Cut the strings, it must be something to do with Simms and Sheffield.

It seems that the punters are beginning to switch off and these are the fans of the sport... so no way in hell will this programme reach out to new fans if actual fans of the sport are not happy!!!!

We need to be on BBC Wales or ITV Wales news; just a mention of the score. The club could send them 10 seconds of highlights and tell them what to say, just so the name is out there.

New fans would be better obtained if the Devils cropped up in a program they were watching anyway like Sport Wales or the news. They're not going to go out of their way to discover the sport via an itinerant highlights show on Sky Sports 4 with no fixed time slot.

Can we bring pressure on the national broadcasters to at least mention our results on a Monday?

Neil Black said at the recent Clan forum that he thinks what most of us think that Sky isn't the answer and the league are looking at alternative broadcaster for next season. And also our own video quality will be improved as enough about that as very poor quality this year. But let's hope Premier etc will maybe step in or another ?
Back to the topic, if I remember the Steelers old guys was giving plenty of coverage no surprise there. And should have had a special on Voth. But maybe he declined interview etc I don't know. But if he wasn't approached it was typical poor from the Elite league and Steelers show :(

clanfandoug said:
Neil Black said at the recent Clan forum that he thinks what most of us think that Sky isn't the answer and the league are looking at alternative broadcaster for next season.

But let's hope Premier etc will maybe step in or another ?

If Sky isn't the answer not sure if Premier is either, especially for those on Virgin Media. It seems VM and Premier have hit a brick wall in their discussions.

DevilDom

I'm surprised someone in the powers that be can't persuade the BBC to take a look. They could show it on BBC3 or BBC4. They must have loads of spare cameras as they barely cover any live sport nowadays!

rocketbob

Re: Re: Disgusted at Sky's hockey program 10th Feb

DevilDom said:
I'm surprised someone in the powers that be can't persuade the BBC to take a look. They could show it on BBC3 or BBC4. They must have loads of spare cameras as they barely cover any live sport nowadays!
ITV4 would be a good fit too.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

osh

It"s pathetic when you think that S4C show a live Welsh League Football match most weekends and the combined attendances at each WL game wouldn't be much more than a normal BBT crowd. Why we can't justify a regular 30 second round up on Monday evening on BBC or ITV of the Devils weekend games is beyond me. Sadly, rugby and football will always dominate the Welsh media unless we win something big and only then will we get a worthwhile mention.

Earnie

Like many on here I also think it is quite a poor presentaion , but then some SKY is better than no SKY.

Many of us remember BBC Wales Face Off programme put together by Huw Bevan!