Devils Vs Zemgale - Conti Cup - 20th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

Devils86

I’ve enjoyed the weekend generally. Devils have played pretty well. A comfortable win against Angers, which would have been a hammering really if it wasn’t for their goalie. We didn’t need to get out of second/third gear against Jesenice and it was literally men v boys tonight. I thought the lenient officiating was awful tonight and led to things very nearly spiralling out of control. It was only a matter of time before seasoned pro's start getting fed up of young punks running at them. But it was an easy win. It tells us nothing about what’s to come in the EIHL as most teams in our league would have won that group this weekend. Hopefully, the finals round is more competitive to watch.
I thought up until that final game that the officiating was better than the usual EIHL stripes this season. But tonight was downright bizarre at times. Boarding missed/ignored for both sides with the afters being penalised but the substantive hits being ignored. With a young and petulant Zemgale side there could have been some nasty injuries - their fans seemed OK in the block with us, but their team were just pathetic. How Lou made it through that match without any PIMs I'll never know....not that he should have been called, just that he obviously didn't want to get chucked out, leaving us with 4 D. Which leads me on to:

2-WAYS AGAIN! Missing 2 forwards and a D - we sized up our opponents, they clearly weren't going to cause us too many issues, we had a zero pressure game when we were a couple bodies down....call up the 2-ways FFS! Why not?! Nothing to lose. They are all at Bristol now and we get first pick (so we can choose them and the Pitbulls have to suck it up). Pitbulls away this evening in London - two midtable sides in a league game that will mean naf all come the end of the season - or the chance for at least 1 d-man to play a couple shifts with us. From the few shifts I've seen Harewood skate he would have been fine tonight, and if a young D-man makes a mistake - so what??

(Edit: To add. Pitbulls conceded 7 on Saturday, and lost 8-1 tonight - not sure what that adds, if anything, to the point - but still)

Last edited:

Diablo3

The Devils put on some great shows of possession hockey this weekend winning all three games comfortably. Regardless of the standard of the teams we were playing, they still had to be beaten. Next round highly likely to be in France, the Anger team have a fairly new stadium and are keen to host it.

kingmo19.1

I thought up until that final game that the officiating was better than the usual EIHL stripes this season. But tonight was downright bizarre at times. Boarding missed/ignored for both sides with the afters being penalised but the substantive hits being ignored. With a young and petulant Zemgale side there could have been some nasty injuries - their fans seemed OK in the block with us, but their team were just pathetic. How Lou made it through that match without any PIMs I'll never know....not that he should have been called, just that he obviously didn't want to get chucked out, leaving us with 4 D. Which leads me on to:

2-WAYS AGAIN! Missing 2 forwards and a D - we sized up our opponents, they clearly weren't going to cause us too many issues, we had a zero pressure game when we were a couple bodies down....call up the 2-ways FFS! Why not?! Nothing to lose. They are all at Bristol now and we get first pick (so we can choose them and the Pitbulls have to suck it up). Pitbulls away this evening in London - two midtable sides in a league game that will mean naf all come the end of the season - or the chance for at least 1 d-man to play a couple shifts with us. From the few shifts I've seen Harewood skate he would have been fine tonight, and if a young D-man makes a mistake - so what??

(Edit: To add. Pitbulls conceded 7 on Saturday, and lost 8-1 tonight - not sure what that adds, if anything, to the point - but still)
Are you related to any of the 2-ways? You seem obsessed by them ! If Dupes thinks they are ready I’m sure he’d call them up!

The_Stick_

I agree we should be using the 2-ways more often but I don’t feel tonignt was the night to use them. We had already secured top spot and it was a dead rubber match. Bristol clearly need as much help as they can get at the moment so would be rather pointless taking them for a meaningless game when there were points to play for in Bristols fixtures.

Devils86

Are you related to any of the 2-ways? You seem obsessed by them ! If Dupes thinks they are ready I’m sure he’d call them up!
Nah, LOL, I just find it infuriating that we don't use them. Guys need ice time to develop - just look at how much better Kozun has got since hes got more starts. They were trumpeted as being signed so that if we went down to 4 D we could call them up...but if they go into that situation, it would be better if they could have had a game here or there. All the arguments about risking losing points etc didn't apply this weekend - when we were down on numbers.

And I'm sure you know I post about many things - not JUST the 2-ways. :)

moggy#9

My understanding of 2 way deals was that we only got to use them when Bristol aren't playing.

Gavevs88

Maybe Todd will realise that fans come to watch the EIHL, the majority don’t care about competition from Europe. It’s shows a lack of understanding of your market place, particularly made worse when Todd seems to market the game as a social event for people who’s interest in hockey is secondary.
Where was the event marketed as a social event where hockey interest is secondary? What a weird thing to say? I went to all three games this weekend and the atmosphere was really good??

Kevlar68

I think there's quite a few factors that may have effected attendance. Firstly the poor inconsistant form, secondly money as we hear every day is tight, thirdly chase the egg Saturday, fourthly we knew very little about these teams so some may have thought it was going to be a CHL white wash, fifthly people may have cherry picked games instead of all 3. Also there will be other factors work, family etc.
The main thing is we're in the final BUT from what I've seen these 3 teams would be below clan in our league.
Only one stand out Cowely.
Great to win group and excellent work boys but my opinion hasn't changed.
The final will test us a little more.

Last edited:

MA18

I think there's quite a few factors that may have effected attendance. Firstly the poor inconsistant form, secondly money as we here every day is tight, thirdly chase the egg Saturday, fourthly we knew very little about these teams so some may have thought it was going to be a CHL white wash, fifthly people may have cherry picked games instead of all 3. Also there will be other factors work, family etc.
The main thing is we're in the final BUT from what I've seen these 3 teams would be below clan in our league.
Only one stand out Cowely.
Great to win group and excellent work boys but my opinion hasn't changed.
The final will test us a little more.
Agree with the factors in that.

We have three season tickets, a 50mile round journey to the rink, other commitments and are away next week so budgeting for that - I thought the money and time would be better spent in other areas.

We attended one game, streamed one game and missed one game.

I think fans, particularly regulars and season ticket holders voted with their feet. We’ve had a few weeks of poor performance and poor results. It’s been difficult and frustrating to watch and not particularly entertaining. Rightly or wrongly I think people have stayed away, taken advantage of a weekend away from the rink and out a marker down that better is expected.
Could argue the opposition wasn’t the highest standard but you can only beat what’s in front of you and as Wales rugby showed on the weekend it’s easy to get dragged to another teams standard.

I feel a bit for the guys that work and volunteer there. Must have out a lot of hours and effort in to the whole weekend so must have been pretty disappointing it didn’t get the crowds it deserved.

Gazza272

It's possible we had to submit a squad list to be used for the tournament before hand, and with Bristol playing on Saturday we didn't expect our injuries and to need the guys.

i'll try and clarify this.

Devils86

My understanding of 2 way deals was that we only got to use them when Bristol aren't playing.
The relationship with Telford for Harewood was that Telford got first refusal so we could only call him up if they didn't have a game or didn't need him.

But with the D-men and NM at Pitbulls we get first refusal - so doesn't matter if they have a game we can call them up if we choose to.

Now with Harewood moving to Bristol I'd presume the same situation exists with him.

TK confirmed the same in his Q&A a few weeks back

Devils86

It's possible we had to submit a squad list to be used for the tournament before hand, and with Bristol playing on Saturday we didn't expect our injuries and to need the guys.

i'll try and clarify this.
I raised that with those I was chatting with - but then it was pointed out the 2-ways were listed in the game sheets in the programme....‍♂️

I don't get the programme often enough to note if they are listed for all games as an editorial decision....

Cheers though, Gaz. And well done this weekend - rest those vocal chords

E.D.S.

We have three season tickets, a 50mile round journey to the rink, other commitments and are away next week so budgeting for that - I thought the money and time would be better spent in other areas.

I think fans, particularly regulars and season ticket holders voted with their feet. We’ve had a few weeks of poor performance and poor results. It’s been difficult and frustrating to watch and not particularly entertaining. Rightly or wrongly I think people have stayed away, taken advantage of a weekend away from the rink and out a marker down that better is expected.
Could argue the opposition wasn’t the highest standard but you can only beat what’s in front of you and as Wales rugby showed on the weekend it’s easy to get dragged to another teams standard.

I feel a bit for the guys that work and volunteer there. Must have out a lot of hours and effort in to the whole weekend so must have been pretty disappointing it didn’t get the crowds it deserved.

Big shout out to all of the volunteers who must be absolutely shattered today. That's a lot of hockey to volunteer for. Many of those are there hours before the games starts. We don't have hockey without them.

Kevlar68

I hope the Devils Org give them some sort of gift in thanks. I know the volunteers are most probably hockey fans as you wouldn't volunteer for something your not interested in but a little token gesture would be nice.

Gazza272

I raised that with those I was chatting with - but then it was pointed out the 2-ways were listed in the game sheets in the programme....‍♂️

I don't get the programme often enough to note if they are listed for all games as an editorial decision....

Cheers though, Gaz. And well done this weekend - rest those vocal chords

Thank you. I think the two ways are always listed.

I must say this weekend every single person played their part, the team were fantastic, the fans in the seats were the loudest they have been so far this season, and everyone I was lucky enough to work alongside on the Gantry and across the rink put in the very best level of service they could.

A huge amount of work went into it, and I feel we gave a fantastic account of our club, our country and British Hockey. It was awesome seeing the relationship blossom between Angers and Devils fans.

one of my favourite weekends of hockey. I just hope we can all continue the feel good factor over the rest of the season.

drainage

As a ST holder i didn’t vote with my feet ….I totally understand the cost may not have been within everyone’s reach but despite the lack of fans the atmosphere was great, the hockey was great and I enjoyed it. I agree we have had a poor run and have been as frustrated as everyone else but saw much better effort this weekend. Hoping the final isn’t in Cardiff as would love an away trip

drainage

Big shout out to all of the volunteers who must be absolutely shattered today. That's a lot of hockey to volunteer for. Many of those are there hours before the games starts. We don't have hockey without them.
As the other half of a volunteer yes he does work hard ……its a lot of hours over the season , and often out of season!