Devils Vs Storm - League - 13th Nov 22 - 18:00 FO

hip check

Enjoyable game and nice to see some passion shown by some of the players 'Riley Brandt' take a bow. Some good hits put in and some overdue presence in front of the net. Defence was still looking a little disjointed though and the opposition whilst game were pretty limited.
Great to get a much needed win which hopefully will have a knock on effect for the upcoming tougher fixtures. After witnessing some poor performances over recent weeks it was nice to see some positives last night, long may continue.

jenks33

I purposely didn't come on here after the last two losses because:
a) I didn't see either game
b) I could imagine how bad it would be on here.

Having seen last night's game though I came on expecting to see some debate on the game but surprise surprise the thread is full of the usual trolls and their usual garbage. With some you can even spot the point where we starting winning and they get disappointed. I guess it shows how much our success over the past couple of years had upset newbie fans from other teams that we live so rent free in their heads they come on here, create fake accounts that pretend to be Cardiff fans but actually just post nonsense, wind actual Cardiff fans up and then take screenshots to post on Twitter for likes (Morning all!!!).

Anyone criticising the current ownership group or current venue clearly wasn't a Devils fan back in the BBT days when we had a succession of bad owner after bad owner. Yes in hindsight we would have liked a bigger capacity for IAW but the only reason that is a subject is because we sell out so often because we have owners and management who have invested so much and built up the club so well.

For those of who stuck with the team throughout the BBT years we could only have dreamt of a 'blip' like this.
What's your opinion on the players effort levels recently Finny? Is it fair to have expected a bit more from them even with the amount of games they've had to play in the last 5/6 weeks? Or are you putting some of those poor performances down to key players not being 100% healthy? If i'm honest i didn't expect us to win the league from day one (i think i had us finishing 3rd) so i'd like to think i'm not somebody that assumes there must be something wrong every time we lose a game. For example I thought there was an exaggeration on here when we lost that home game vs Sheffield last month. I still maintain we played well for the first 30 minutes of that game and we should have been 3-1 up in the second period. I think Aaron Fox admitted afterwards that Greenfield kept the score down in the first 10 minutes of the second. Sheffield then had the better of the last 30 minutes and although the score was 2-5 it was a game of fine margins IMO.
Lately though i have seriously questioned the effort levels of some of these players. You mentioned you didn't watch the Belfast match and i think it may have shocked you had you watched it live. It certainly shocked me. I expected us to maybe lose 4-2/5-2 but to lose the second period 7-0 and be 9-1 down after 2 periods was clearly unacceptable. I genuinely think had somebody said to the Belfast players in the 2nd intermission "Right boys you have to score 12 tonight" i think they would have done it. Our heads had gone, we had completely downed tools but Belfast eased off the gas understandably.

I agree with you about the ownership. Let's be honest if it wasn't for them we possibly wouldn't exist now. And if we were still in the EIHL we would probably be fighting it out with Manchester/Dundee/Fife for a play off spot every season. I'd be lying if i said Todd was always my cup of tea but there's no doubting that Devils fans should be very, very grateful to Todd and the owners.

Interested to know your views tho. Do you think ( or did you think) we are serious title contenders and we are going through a blip or because of the financial issues since covid do you think the ownership are content with top 3 but seriously challenge for the challenge cup/Play offs?

What about the remainder of this season? Do you think we've got the personnel to go through the rest of the campaign (barring injuries) and challenge for the league title? Or do we need a new face or two? We all saw how the addition of Coughler gave us real impetus last season.

Wannabe2

It’s only a very small amount of people being detrimental to our owners, and there are always fruit cases in any crowd. Most fans that know anything about hockey, and about this club thank god for having not only the best owners we have ever had, but without a doubt the best in the league. We should never take these guys for granted, having owners that care about this club, having owners that are true fans, having owners that love Cardiff it’s fans and our history, and having owners that want to win is truelly a one off. 99.9% of fans that know this club certainly know how lucky we are, and long may it continue.

BostonBart22

Excellent win, after the last 2 shambolic defeats, loved brandts scrap and his skate to his bench more or less telling his teamates how to scrap and not leave it to me...mvp for me so far this season.

Samael

I’m amazed people on this Forum have the audacity to have a pop at Todd and the Owners! This club was on its arse before they took over and it’s been transformed off and on the ice since.

We’ve won a load of Silverware since the new owners took charge and they have provided us with some awesome memories.

We are not entitled to be champions every season and past success doesn’t guarantee success in the future - look at Man Utd as an example!

Ask yourself if you’d swap our owners and GM with anyone else in the league - I certainly would not! We’ve been spoilt since they took over and we shouldn’t forget where we were before they came in.
I'm never amazed at the response on here when the actions of management are questioned. Yes the owners have saved this club and yes I do know how bad it was in the Phillips and Ragan years, yes we've been fortunate enough to have a period in the clubs history where we have had more success than ever before and yes I am grateful for the hard work Todd Kelman and the owners in Calgary have put into what is essentially a passion project to them.

I don't think being critical should be demonised, pun intended, when things go wrong though.

It's the only way to keep the owners, managing director and bench staff "honest". By that I don't mean they are lying to us what I am saying is questions need to be asked about the direction we are going in. To me at least it shows signs of stagnation, and we are entering into an uncertain period economically. As I've stated before, I see us going the way of the blaze; couple of years of success then decades of mediocrity as we can't keep up with the true high-capacity arena teams. Glasgow are proof that a large arena doesn't guarantee success but look at who owns them. I'm VERY grateful we don't have that holding the purse strings, even if he did go out and poach an excellent GM for Nottingham.

Perhaps Steve King or Brian Parker will post something here when they have time, which I understand must be limited given they both run businesses outside the Devils, about ambitions going forward and not just some soundbites like "as a club we are just quietly going about our business". I wasn't one of the ones asking for an apology for the Belfast loss either, just a statement of intent going forward. All the regulars with an embarrassing post count north of 10k can then like the post from Mr King or Mr Parker to infinity and beyond, and I'll go back to reading more typing less reassured we haven't got lazy and complacent since Andrew Lord left.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #108
Perhaps Steve King or Brian Parker will post something here when they have time, which I understand must be limited given they both run businesses outside the Devils, about ambitions going forward and not just some soundbites like "as a club we are just quietly going about our business". I wasn't one of the ones asking for an apology for the Belfast loss either, just a statement of intent going forward. All the regulars with an embarrassing post count north of 10k can then like the post from Mr King or Mr Parker to infinity and beyond, and I'll go back to reading more typing less reassured we haven't got lazy and complacent since Andrew Lord left.
If they do I hope it's only because they _want_ to engage not because the feel they _have_ to engage. We're very fortunate to have owners that occasionally participate in this forum rather than actively working against it as in the past. I appreciate you didn't directly Samael and its not directed at you necessarily but I always get a bit annoyed when people demand answers from the owners on the inferno. Not to say we can't be critical if deserved but no one is owed a response on here.

lloyd_jeff

Sorry bud but can you explain that as I’m a bit confused, not that it takes much these days.
I’m a cynical person, probably too much. When l watched their Meet & Greet l sat there thinking are these the real deal or just clever bullshitters. Are the owners putting every penny back into the club, investing in the on and off ice product, great, amazing, honest guys. Are we being fed a line by clever owners who are taking those funds out of the club. Well it wouldn’t be a first time the on ice product quality fails to live up to the hype.
If we have an announcement from King or Todd announcing they’ve applied or been granted the lease to the IAW I’ll back off as that’s a true investment into our future. If not then yeah I’m still going to be concerned about our fate.

Last edited:

Samael

If they do I hope it's only because they _want_ to engage not because the feel they _have_ to engage. We're very fortunate to have owners that occasionally participate in this forum rather than actively working against it as in the past. I appreciate you didn't directly Samael and its not directed at you necessarily but I always get a bit annoyed when people demand answers from the owners on the inferno. Not to say we can't be critical if deserved but no one is owed a response on here.
I agree. I'm not holding anyone to ransom or making demands of very busy individuals for a response so I hope that is clear to anyone in a place of authority at the club who may see this. What the regulars think, I couldn't give a toss, if I'm honest.

Swarley

You assume these posters haven't spoken to the MD to his face then call them pathetic and childish.

I speak for myself now, no one else, l have raised concerns to Kelman directly in the past, in person yet here we are again. Same issues, same 'garbage newbie trolls' too l suppose.
I'm fairly confident that a large percentage of posters here wouldn't have the bottle to say half of the stuff they say on here to his face, like you I've spoken to him directly about things some got sorted others didn't but people coming on here and talking absolute crap about a guys motives and not having the balls to say it to his face is why it's pathetically childish.

Samael

I'm fairly confident that a large percentage of posters here wouldn't have the bottle to say half of the stuff they say on here to his face, like you I've spoken to him directly about things some got sorted others didn't but people coming on here and talking absolute crap about a guys motives and not having the balls to say it to his face is why it's pathetically childish.
Sigh, it's a forum for debate. You're hiding behind a username now are you not and tossing off slurs of the conduct of others who you dont know and are making assumptions about. Personally, l don't care,it's the internet, big deal, but can you see the hypocrisy of your sentiment?

I should not have likened Kelman to a snake oil salesman, that was uncalled for and l take it back. Having a dig at the fans though who are not happy with current form, well put it this way, a CEO of a plc doesnt go on record and mock shareholders because profits are down and dividends are being cut do they?

This thread needs closing l think (but that is not my decision to make), like the other game thread of last weekend it isn't going anywhere constructive and if an owner does want to comment on future intent or where the ship is heading there are better threads to do so, like the leaseholder one that has popped up today. If they don't that's fine too, l won't be jumping to any conclusions if no response comes.

Finny

What's your opinion on the players effort levels recently Finny? Is it fair to have expected a bit more from them even with the amount of games they've had to play in the last 5/6 weeks? Or are you putting some of those poor performances down to key players not being 100% healthy? If i'm honest i didn't expect us to win the league from day one (i think i had us finishing 3rd) so i'd like to think i'm not somebody that assumes there must be something wrong every time we lose a game. For example I thought there was an exaggeration on here when we lost that home game vs Sheffield last month. I still maintain we played well for the first 30 minutes of that game and we should have been 3-1 up in the second period. I think Aaron Fox admitted afterwards that Greenfield kept the score down in the first 10 minutes of the second. Sheffield then had the better of the last 30 minutes and although the score was 2-5 it was a game of fine margins IMO.
Lately though i have seriously questioned the effort levels of some of these players. You mentioned you didn't watch the Belfast match and i think it may have shocked you had you watched it live. It certainly shocked me. I expected us to maybe lose 4-2/5-2 but to lose the second period 7-0 and be 9-1 down after 2 periods was clearly unacceptable. I genuinely think had somebody said to the Belfast players in the 2nd intermission "Right boys you have to score 12 tonight" i think they would have done it. Our heads had gone, we had completely downed tools but Belfast eased off the gas understandably.

I agree with you about the ownership. Let's be honest if it wasn't for them we possibly wouldn't exist now. And if we were still in the EIHL we would probably be fighting it out with Manchester/Dundee/Fife for a play off spot every season. I'd be lying if i said Todd was always my cup of tea but there's no doubting that Devils fans should be very, very grateful to Todd and the owners.

Interested to know your views tho. Do you think ( or did you think) we are serious title contenders and we are going through a blip or because of the financial issues since covid do you think the ownership are content with top 3 but seriously challenge for the challenge cup/Play offs?

What about the remainder of this season? Do you think we've got the personnel to go through the rest of the campaign (barring injuries) and challenge for the league title? Or do we need a new face or two? We all saw how the addition of Coughler gave us real impetus last season.
I don't remember at any point this season thinking "that player isn't putting in enough effort". I might have thought they were sloppy or making poor decisions, but not a lack of effort. I should point out though that I don't think I've seen any away games, have missed a couple of home games and had to rely on the webcast for a couple too. But from what I have seen, lack of effort hasn't been the issue (yet).

WIth regards to potential title-contenders - when we put the team together I was very impressed. Years ago when I'd be stuck in work on my own over the summer doing updates/installation I created a spreadsheet that predicted where teams would finish based on their summer signings. It was a bit out of date but I did it again this year for some of the teams.
I was a bit surprised that we only came out 4th. However I was hoping that a high retention of players would help us start the season better than others and the ability to run 4 full lines would help us be more consistent of the season as injuries kicked in. The first was valid for only two weeks it would seem, and we've barely been able to play 4 lines all season. I expected us to be in the mix for all three trophies but wouldn't have put us as one of the favourites.

From what I read over the summer I think the ownership group expect us to be competitive. Last season I was expecting a transition year but from what they said they expected us to be challenging for the title for longer than we did. I have no idea of the financial situation of the club, but I wouldn't be surprised if last year we had to budget on the assumption we'd spend some of the season without crowds. The additions of Coughler and Brandt seemed to back that up.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I think we do need some player additions. Partially to cover for injuries and partially because I think we are missing some experience in defence. My worry is that the financial situation in the country rather than just the club means we are unlikely to attract the type of signing we need or have had in previous seasons.

E.D.S.

I don't remember at any point this season thinking "that player isn't putting in enough effort". I might have thought they were sloppy or making poor decisions, but not a lack of effort. I should point out though that I don't think I've seen any away games, have missed a couple of home games and had to rely on the webcast for a couple too. But from what I have seen, lack of effort hasn't been the issue (yet).

WIth regards to potential title-contenders - when we put the team together I was very impressed. Years ago when I'd be stuck in work on my own over the summer doing updates/installation I created a spreadsheet that predicted where teams would finish based on their summer signings. It was a bit out of date but I did it again this year for some of the teams.
I was a bit surprised that we only came out 4th. However I was hoping that a high retention of players would help us start the season better than others and the ability to run 4 full lines would help us be more consistent of the season as injuries kicked in. The first was valid for only two weeks it would seem, and we've barely been able to play 4 lines all season. I expected us to be in the mix for all three trophies but wouldn't have put us as one of the favourites.

From what I read over the summer I think the ownership group expect us to be competitive. Last season I was expecting a transition year but from what they said they expected us to be challenging for the title for longer than we did. I have no idea of the financial situation of the club, but I wouldn't be surprised if last year we had to budget on the assumption we'd spend some of the season without crowds. The additions of Coughler and Brandt seemed to back that up.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I think we do need some player additions. Partially to cover for injuries and partially because I think we are missing some experience in defence. My worry is that the financial situation in the country rather than just the club means we are unlikely to attract the type of signing we need or have had in previous seasons.
An interesting and considered post as always Finny. Lack of effort is a subjective one. It’s difficult to judge. I absolutely see a lack of desire and effort in some but then again you never know if they are carrying injuries etc but I’ll never be convinced of the benefits of playing a partially fit player.