Devils Vs steelers - Pre-Season - 17th Sept 23 - FO 18:00

august04 2.0

I think some of you saw a different game than I did. I thought we showed a lot of promise across all lines given that we are missing 3 good players to injury.
For those criticising Batch. I agree to a point about his playing style, but what would you have had him do in terms of enforcing tonight? He wasn’t on the ice for the Barrow incident, Brandt was. He can’t come off the bench and fight and he wasn’t going to mess up a 5 minute power play for us by taking an instigator penalty. Genuinely intrigued as to what you think he should have done in relation to the Barrow incident?
How about after the 5 minute penalty, you get our biggest, toughest guy to smash one of their skilled players into the boards? Seems a perfectly reasonable response to me, if we had one! In fact, thinking about it more, who cares if it screwed up the 5 minute PP? This is pre season and hits like that on one of our best players is just not acceptable (pre season or regular season) and has to be answered in kind. We're the Cardiff Devils, we've never really tolerated shit like that in our own barn.

Last edited:
A couple of seasons ago, I remember there was a similar lobby from inferno posters, for a signing to protect our smaller skilled players. Bordeleau was signed late in the season and in my opinion made a lot of difference just by his presence on the ice.

kingmo19.1

Right, I'm sick to death of this ! It's all gone wrong, we've clearly been exposed by the Steelers and PR needs urgent help!

Where the hell is LloydJeff when you need him eh!

I'd have fournier back in a heartbeat. Changed the team when he arrived last season, we need him or someone like him ASAP. Not fair to brandt fighting guys 6/7 inches bigger than him night in & night out.

Wannabe2

How about after the 5 minute penalty, you get our biggest, toughest guy to smash one of their skilled players into the boards? Seems a perfectly reasonable response to me, if we had one! In fact, thinking about it more, who cares if it screwed up the 5 minute PP? This is pre season and hits like that on one of our best players is just not acceptable (pre season or regular season) and has to be answered in kind. We're the Cardiff Devils, we've never really tolerated shit like that in our own barn.
Spot on and the guy who levelled Barrow thinks he is bloody King Kong, he has been trying to put it about, Steelers fans think he is the toughest guy in the league, this needs rectifying and the sooner the better.

moggy#9

Steelers were the best opposition we've seen, certainly better than Belfast IMO. What that games did was expose the issues that the others didn't. That said, with a full team, I think we'd have ground it out. The problem is how often will we have a full team?

It's fair to pass dinner judgements now, after the preseason.

Batch is a liability. Steelers seemed to try to isolate him and put pressure on him. Others will do the same.

Crandall remains unimpressive and should not have been brought back.

Booth is a decent keeper, but I don't think he's the top tier goalie we were promised.

I didn't know what to expect with Busch and barrow. I've been very impressed.

With the exception of batch, our defence looks decent.

The pp is vastly improved, and will get better yet.

Wannabe2

Can we pretty please sign Alex Gallant, he has always wanted to see Wales, and Cardiff in particular. His ambition is to play for the Devils let’s make his dream come true.

MA18

Steelers were the best opposition we've seen, certainly better than Belfast IMO. What that games did was expose the issues that the others didn't. That said, with a full team, I think we'd have ground it out. The problem is how often will we have a full team?

Batch is a liability. Steelers seemed to try to isolate him and put pressure on him. Others will do the same.

Booth is a decent keeper, but I don't think he's the top tier goalie we were promised.

Batch is an empty suit.

The_Stick_

I’ll be glad when Richie is back. Personally I think Pietroniro has been really solid in D, so would go with him over Batch when we have a full D quota

E.D.S.

I think when Richardson is back fit you'll pretty much see Batch's ice time severely reduced. Got to acknowledge Mosey at the moment. For an offensive guy he's doing a stellar job on D. That pairing with Crawford concerns me greatly but I can't knock Mosey in any way. He's up and down the ice and showing a great read of the game. Some impressive block today too.

E.D.S.

Take some positives... 3 players down and we put on a show. Showed guts, fight and spirit (so desperately lacking last year) and we lost to a team that we know we'll be there or there about at the end of the season. We've lost by one goal each time. Rubbish end to the warm up games but light years from last season and we can all wear a stupid 'bling' chain to celebrate! Everything is looking good!!

Swarley

We're the Cardiff Devils, we've never really tolerated shit like that in our own barn.
Last 4 seasons I'd say they've tolerated it alot more that you realise, hockey isn't really what we think hockey is anymore it's a forced change to a softer form of what hockey should be and unfortunately the club has dived in feet first for it.

The team has talent.
Passion.
Character.
Charisma.
Grit.
Skills.

What it lacks is a solid big guy on D who won't tolerate any shit on his watch and won't stand for anyone hurting his team mates.

The club lacks a big brother, I don't see Batch doing it them days are long past him, Brandt I love his passion and desire to be the big brother but it just isn't happening.

august04 2.0

Last 4 seasons I'd say they've tolerated it alot more that you realise, hockey isn't really what we think hockey is anymore it's a forced change to a softer form of what hockey should be and unfortunately the club has dived in feet first for it.

The team has talent.
Passion.
Character.
Charisma.
Grit.
Skills.

What it lacks is a solid big guy on D who won't tolerate any shit on his watch and won't stand for anyone hurting his team mates.

The club lacks a big brother, I don't see Batch doing it them days are long past him, Brandt I love his passion and desire to be the big brother but it just isn't happening.
We've certainly been hit around more since the Skalde year when the roster got noticeably smaller. It's still a small roster in terms of physical size. The EIHL has always been a little different though and it seems to be getting tougher again this year. We’ve struggled in recent years as you say, not really done anything about it bar Fournier, which didn’t turn out well and losing Lou has made things a damn sight worse (although time was beginning to catch up on him). So agree with you for the last few years, not that much in all our history before then though. It was quite the opposite for much of our history!

Swarley

We've certainly been hit around more since the Skalde year when the roster got noticeably smaller. It's still a small roster in terms of physical size. The EIHL has always been a little different though and it seems to be getting tougher again this year. We’ve struggled in recent years as you say, not really done anything about it bar Fournier, which didn’t turn out well and losing Lou has made things a damn sight worse (although time was beginning to catch up on him). So agree with you for the last few years, not that much in all our history before then though. It was quite the opposite for much of our history!
I wouldn't say time was catching up with Lou more of a "we're going in a different direction this season" so he went where he was wanted but I definitely think this could end up being a painful season for us if Russell can't figure out a way around the other teams big guys.

august04 2.0

I wouldn't say time was catching up with Lou more of a "we're going in a different direction this season" so he went where he was wanted but I definitely think this could end up being a painful season for us if Russell can't figure out a way around the other teams big guys.
Whether it was a different direction or his powers had waned a little, I would still have signed Lou for this season, particularly given his physical presence hasn’t been replaced.

Hedd Wyn John

Whether it was a different direction or his powers had waned a little, I would still have signed Lou for this season, particularly given his physical presence hasn’t been replaced.
Tbh I think his performances had dropped off, I'm sure he'll ice a bit for Lordo in Greenville but my money is on him to retire at the end of the season.