Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

BostonBart22

Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

Were bringing back:-

1. Passionate physical fast hockey.
2. An intimidating intro & pregame build-up.
3. Giving the entire place a proper revamp.
4. Appointing Kev to run the bar and decorate it like a hockey bar.
5. The old Pizza guy from outside the BBT.
6. A proper food outlet in the rink.
7. A decent selection of beers.
8. Player / fan interaction events.
9. More open training sessions.
10. Competitions to bring the fans closer into the club.
11. Fan suggestion boxes - that are discussed, voted on and implemented.
12. The old logo (fans to vote on the original or the previous one).
13. Fan competition to design the jersey each season.
14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.
16. Pad 2 reinstated in all its glory.
17. Recognising The Inferno and making an effort to integrate it with the club.
Can we have guiness in the bar at the same price as hospitality 5.00 please instead of 6.45, after all fans should come first and not the piss heads that get the benefit of cheap beers...just saying

I think the general feeling has a few facets at present:-

1. The disappointment with this team/recruitment/coaching setup. I’m not suggesting we oust PR, but he did come with a big-rep and quite a lot of expectation considering his achievements elsewhere. If he recruited this bunch of mid-fits then he must take some responsibility.

2. Are we treated as real-fans these days or just expendables at the mercy of the now slick Devils corporate machine. Don’t like the logo - suck it up (no consultation). Wanna drink, pay top dollar, fancy chucking a puck, pay top dollar, a programme - yeah that’ll cost you a pretty penny too. Yes, things have gone up, but let’s be honest, even the blindest person can see that the club is hell bent on extracting any penny possible from your pocket these days.

3. Per point 2, you feel more like a general franchise customer these days - the historical connection and values are being eroded. Some will see that as progress, but the best business look after their customers and don’t mercifully try and extract every last penny from them!

4. Club is disconnected from the fanbase - no player access, no interviews, nowt from Todd, Steve is hardly seen on here these days.

5. Match night is stale - flat atmosphere, dodgy music selection (especially when the opposition scores!).

It all adds up over time.

No wonder people are generally feeling peeved !
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Perfect words.
The disconnect from the team is huge. If you don't care for a player or feel part of the club, how are you meant to fully support the club. Got asked yesterday, who's your favourite player? I couldn't answer,and it's not because there was to many to choose from

moggy#9

Don't forget 18. restarting adult Learn to Play hockey

Other than a brief period when the Cardiff fire organised it during their off season 18 months ago, there has been no adult learn to play level ice hockey in Cardiff since Covid lockdowns closed the arena in March 2020. If someone is watching the Devils and thinks "i could do better than that" and wants to learn, they have to go to Bristol nowadays. The lack of adult LTP is probably related to lack of Pad 2. Even the most welcoming rec teams need people who can skate/stop. Hockey stop is normally a minimum requirement and that is not taught at the figure skating lessons available at the rink

Also addendum to 17. Reinstate Match Night Live! Either gift a web stream to a volunteer to do MNL or have someone at the arena doing it. Those live text updates of what was happening in games used to be awesome and were a highlight of devils fandom in the BBT days
It's not just stuff like learn to play. It would be nice if some effort were made to educate new fans into the rules and the history of the club. The more you understand the game, the more you can get out of it.

It's astonishing how many newbies I've encountered who haven't understood how offside or icing works. As far as the history of the club goes, it feels like (apart from the pendants in the rafters) the club would prefer to pretend that the 80s, 90s and 2000s didn't happen. I guess that's ok though since I still refuse to acknowledge that the club existed in the lock out season.

Rest assured - when I win the Lottery, I’m buying the owners out (will give you a good price guys, so don’t worry).

14. Bringing the Junior Devils formally under the Devils umbrella with a joined up coaching approach.
15. Launching the Cardiff Devils NIHL team that will offer a pathway for promising young Brits to advance.

14. is a huge issue, zero interaction and support from the devils.sinnce way before covid. But I imagine the Jr Devils ice payments are the Devil's /Rinks biggest outside income at around 80-100 grand a year

Ocko

Speaking on a personal level; I hardly watch a game these days. I’ve been based further away than ever for the past year which makes it unfeasible to attend bar the 1 weekend I’m in Cardiff. Previously I would do anything to watch a game; I followed MNL from a FOB in Afghanistan and watched webcast games under the new ownership from a field in the Arctic in Norway, from a palace in Basrah Iraq - quite literally everywhere and when I was in the UK I would make 300 mile round trips. Now I don’t even watch the highlights - it’s boring.

The product is crap, even when we win. The team we have recruited lacks excitement which unfortunately is the way hockey has gone. Except Brandt and Chad we have recruited a bunch of robots, a product of the current generation who are too scared to make hits because of the hits to the head and over coaching not allowing players to be caught out of position. Sometimes you just have to let the boys play. New fans scream about every hit against us because they aren’t used to watching physical play anymore.

This is not the hockey I was brought up on, I’ve got no interest watching it at the moment. I watched the Fire a couple of times as I had a few former team mates playing and I can tell you for a fact their game against Bristol was more entertaining than any Devils game all season.

Wannabe2

How much ???
It's posts like that which make me relieved I have to drive therefore can't drink !
Can we have guiness in the bar at the same price as hospitality 5.00 please instead of 6.45, after all fans should come first and not the piss heads that get the benefit of cheap beers...just saying
So why are 50/60 hospitality people, more important than season ticket and walk up that walk up every week, I always thought season ticket holders Were held in more esteem, £1-45 difference on a pint that costs the club exactly the same. I ain’t no skinflint and never have been but come on, let’s work together please.

I think the general feeling has a few facets at present:-

1. The disappointment with this team/recruitment/coaching setup. I’m not suggesting we oust PR, but he did come with a big-rep and quite a lot of expectation considering his achievements elsewhere. If he recruited this bunch of mid-fits then he must take some responsibility.

2. Are we treated as real-fans these days or just expendables at the mercy of the now slick Devils corporate machine. Don’t like the logo - suck it up (no consultation). Wanna drink, pay top dollar, fancy chucking a puck, pay top dollar, a programme - yeah that’ll cost you a pretty penny too. Yes, things have gone up, but let’s be honest, even the blindest person can see that the club is hell bent on extracting any penny possible from your pocket these days.

3. Per point 2, you feel more like a general franchise customer these days - the historical connection and values are being eroded. Some will see that as progress, but the best business look after their customers and don’t mercifully try and extract every last penny from them!

4. Club is disconnected from the fanbase - no player access, no interviews, nowt from Todd, Steve is hardly seen on here these days.

5. Match night is stale - flat atmosphere, dodgy music selection (especially when the opposition scores!).

It all adds up over time.

No wonder people are generally feeling peeved !
in all fairness i believe @SteveKing takes a great interest in what is written on here. As an owner, he has to take all comments written on here and then give himself time to reflect peoples opinions before writing his own. He probably is giving PR and TK the time to address things before he gives any input. We should be grateful that we have owners who want to interact with
fans but they still have a duty to maintain their positions within the club. I personally think the interview PR put out was a very good constructive criticism and you could see he was furious with the DROSS that most of the players have dished out the last few weeks and called them out for it in a certain way. Finally some PRIDE and PASSION....

Wannabe2

After watching Russell’s last interview and how much this side has let him down, no one at the club can get the hump at how much it’s pissing off the fans on here. We are pissed off because we care, and sometimes that can come back and bite you on the arse unfortunately, we care do you hear this we care, we only want the best for our beloved club. We want to all be in this together, not to hinder but hopefully to help, at onetime we felt like one big family, we need to get that back and guess what guys it ain’t hard in fact it’s pretty easy, our owners without any shadow of a doubt are the Dogs Bollocks, we all know that and love it. Let’s sort this together guys, we don’t need to know the inside of a cats arse,but we care as do you. This is your club let’s work together to get to where we want to be, please.

bb1

One main issue for me is that during last nights ‘schooling’ from the Steelers along with the one Guilford gave us he is on the bench with his hands in his pockets with not even a hint of frustration toward the players!

Imagine the likes of Tortorella or even Keefe, Paul Thompson….they would be giving their players an ear bashing. They need a rocket up the arse but he wasn’t giving it.

No good doing it in the interview after…..game was over!

august04 2.0

From the many posts on here, it seems the club has lost its way both on and off the ice. As someone has already mentioned, wasn't there supposed to be some sort of fan representative to discuss issues with the club management? At the moment it seems to be TK's way or the highway, as evidenced by the logo fiasco. I sincerely hope that Steve King reads some of these posts and starts to have more influence on the day to day running of the club, because things are seemingly going in the wrong direction from a fan experience/engagement point of view. Do they even care as long as the cash keeps coming in?

Last edited:

Best post I ever seen felt I was morphed back 25 years ago then I woke up.

Ok I’m with you until point 17. Let’s not be silly now.

osh

Be careful with so much criticism being aimed at our owners ! There is no doubt they are passionate hockey fans and saved us at a time we needed supporting the most. I hardly think the Cardiff Devils Hockey Club make them vast amount of money / profit. The Devils are more of a hobby for them I feel. They will be as disappointed as many of us. Mistakes have been made with player appointments, I also believe PR was never the sort of coach we needed or who could maintain our well known and proven successful style / brand of play. Mistakes can be rectified, whether it is done sooner rather than later we will have to wait and see. Will e interesting to see if any sort of statement is forthcoming from them at this stage of the season.

bb1

Don’t get me wrong……in the perfect world many of King Amos points are great, some are just fantasy. Running a busines, club etc….and trying to keep thousands of people happy……will never happen.

Many of us here couldnt give a damn about some of those points (not saying some aren’t good, no offence) apart from the one main thing……an entertaining/successful on ice product. That’s all we want. The world has changed and the club has had to adapt and we all have to accept it.

Just because many of us on here may have been watching the club for decades doesn’t give us entitlement for any of those things to be changed other than like I said….the request quality on ice product that entertains and wins. That in itself isn’t easy year in year out either.

My only major gripe is that when everyone can see players coming here for a free ride and they remain for the rest of the season cruising along. I still feel we are the club that players will take advantage of the club that respect.

kingmo19.1

Don’t get me wrong……in the perfect world many of King Amos points are great, some are just fantasy. Running a busines, club etc….and trying to keep thousands of people happy……will never happen.

Many of us here couldnt give a damn about some of those points (not saying some aren’t good, no offence) apart from the one main thing……an entertaining/successful on ice product. That’s all we want. The world has changed and the club has had to adapt and we all have to accept it.

Just because many of us on here may have been watching the club for decades doesn’t give us entitlement for any of those things to be changed other than like I said….the request quality on ice product that entertains and wins. That in itself isn’t easy year in year out either.

My only major gripe is that when everyone can see players coming here for a free ride and they remain for the rest of the season cruising along. I still feel we are the club that players will take advantage of the club that respect.
Your second paragraph is what point 1 would deliver. The other points would help create a harmonious club where fans feel valued, appreciated, heard and respected. Yes, you can never keep every single fan happy, but the items on that list will I guarantee you make a lot more people happy than we have at present.

Anyway, Euro Millions ticket bought - fingers crossed !