Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

august04 2.0

I think the our expectation at this stage for the CHL is a bit too high. Those are clubs that have AHL standard arenas, whilst we're are more fitted to a lower budget. CHL is too far a gap but the CC is a better competition and compete level than the playoffs. @Agust04
I didn’t mention any expectation for the CHL! We didn’t qualify, how can I have any expectations to compete in that competition? But the CC is a complete waste of time with very little prestige and no real incentive for the winners, in an already congested season.

moggy#9

Good interview to be fair. Nice to see a bit of passion. Just need to see it on the ice now
If be a lot more convinced if it wasn't the umpteenth similar interview that he'd given. Particularly if it wasn't after the third consecutive bad loss. He clearly hasn't got the dressing room with him and since he's there third coach who has had that issue, it's becoming clear that the players are part of the problem. Even if they get a better result against Manchester, it proves nothing. That isn't the standard that needs to be met.

jenks33

If be a lot more convinced if it wasn't the umpteenth similar interview that he'd given. Particularly if it wasn't after the third consecutive bad loss. He clearly hasn't got the dressing room with him and since he's there third coach who has had that issue, it's becoming clear that the players are part of the problem. Even if they get a better result against Manchester, it proves nothing. That isn't the standard that needs to be met.
Maybe I’ve missed a few interviews then as I haven’t seen him as heated and brutally honest as that. I’ve been surprised how calm he’s been in interviews actually, particularly for a Scot.

august04 2.0

Well 9 fan bases were laughing at Sheffield last summer when they didn’t sack Fox. Even Sheffield fans wanted him gone. I don’t think it’s unfair to say he was lucky to still be Steelers coach this season after an underwhelming reign so far. Until this season of course.
Well those 9 fan bases aren’t laughing now! I agree it’s not unfair to say he was lucky to be coach this season, but that isn’t what was posted originally!

tim78

What we say isn't always interpreted in how it's conveyed.

Yes I now understand your point but surely more competitions are better than just a pinnicle European cup (which is aimed for the European elite clubs). We're as the CC is perfect for France, Denmark, Italian, Polish and UK clubs.

Would it not be better if it's aimed at those league champions and runners up alone.

Wannabe2

I didn’t mention any expectation for the CHL! We didn’t qualify, how can I have any expectations to compete in that competition? But the CC is a complete waste of time with very little prestige and no real incentive for the winners, in an already congested season.
Except we would be £50/60 k better off being still in it.

Finny

Good interview, but on reflection he should have been saying that a fair few games ago and taking the action he spoke about a fair few games ago!
Based on the Behind The Scenes documentary, he’s been saying it to the players in the Locker-room. But hasn’t done so on interview.
Maybe he feels he’s defended the players enough now. I’m surprised at how much criticism he is getting and maybe he‘s been told he needs to stop covering for the players?

august04 2.0

What we say isn't always interpreted in how it's conveyed.

Yes I now understand your point but surely more competitions are better than just a pinnicle European cup (which is aimed for the European elite clubs). We're as the CC is perfect for France, Denmark, Italian, Polish and UK clubs.

Would it not be better if it's aimed at those league champions and runners up alone.
They ruined the CC when the CHL spot for the winners was removed. It made winning it meaningless, as seen with teams better qualified than us, declining to enter. It’s a second rate tournament in a congested season. I’d rather win a a domestic competition any day than that crock of shit. Not much chance of that though with this current team, so maybe I should learn to accept that's where we are at. Anyway, not relevant in this thread, so apologies for derailing!

He’s better than Bowns and Wall but surely it’s no secret that Carruth left because he’s a bit of a marmite character in the dressing room (to put it kindly). I’ve always said I don’t care how good you are, if half the locker room don’t like you then bye bye.
I’d heard that his problem was with DuPont and McNally!
Apparently,I’ve also heard that Carruth is open to a return to the Devils if asked

Finny

Good grief.
Just been on Facebook and saw this.
View attachment 2502
But there's Chuck a Puck !
And 50/50 !
And Shirt Off His Back !
And merch in the shop !
And hot dogs in the cafe !
And beers at the bar !

It's as if the product on the ice barely matters anymore, and tonight was living proof.
And?

I don’t get this negatively towards the club trying to sell tickets. If we don’t sell out, we‘ll never be able to compete with Sheffield etc.

jenks33

I’d heard that his problem was with DuPont and McNally!
Apparently,I’ve also heard that Carruth is open to a return to the Devils if asked
I suppose we’ll never know the full story. I heard a couple of people say Kozun couldn’t stand him but then somebody else said they got on fine.

Finny

They ruined the CC when the CHL spot for the winners was removed. It made winning it meaningless, as seen with teams better qualified than us, declining to enter. It’s a second rate tournament in a congested season. I’d rather win a a domestic competition any day than that crock of shit. Not much chance of that though with this current team, so maybe I should learn to accept that's where we are at. Anyway, not relevant in this thread, so apologies for derailing!
I’m not sure they removed it completely as a possibility? I think it’s still one of the options for Challenger teams to qualify for CHL.

Imagine if we won the Conti Cup and they decided we’d get the CHL spot ahead of Sheffield…….

MA18

I suppose we’ll never know the full story. I heard a couple of people say Kozun couldn’t stand him but then somebody else said they got on fine.
I know the true story and it’s nowhere near as bad as you expect it to be! Certainly not worth overlooking him for a second season.