Devils Vs Steelers - League - 3rd Jan 24 - FO 19:30

Rempel16

I spoke to a current Devil at a bbq last summer and let’s just say he wasn’t a fan of carruth. And he wasn’t the only one. Let’s be honest he was such a quality goalie + he wanted to stay. Only reason he left was because he wasn’t popular with more than a few players. I don’t really care why he wasn’t popular, if half of my roster don’t like the guy there’s no way I’m keeping him. I’m not Kelman’s biggest fan but I’m 100% with him regarding carruth
Instead we stuck with those same players that seem to turn up in the lesser games and go missing in the big games…. Maybe they are the real issue?

CaldicotDevil

Russell should be given the summer to recruit his roster. I hope we are a bit more cutthroat with that recruitment though. Aaron fox was seen as a bit of a joke before this season and now look at Sheffield. Russell definitely deserves a second season for me
Sheffield backed Fox in the summer, they had a big squad reshuffle and let some of the old guard go. They got faster, younger and more hungry this year.

TK’s has got some tough calls to make this summer. There’s a lot of fan favourites who are starting to look like their age is catching up with them. And the newbies don’t seem to have the same passion for the club. Post Lordo apart from Ben Davies or maybe Mikkelson, I’m struggling to name a signing who’s shown real leadership.

osh

No surprises with tonight’s performance from us really. Let’s face it, our recruitment of players has been poor from day one for this season. Now, no doubt others will say that our budget does not allow us to bring in higher paid players that the likes of the Steelers are able to do which is a fair comment. We all know there is obviously no such thing as a wage cap in our league and bigger crowds ensure clubs can spend more on players. I’ve said before that the whole EIHL standard has dropped over the last few years. We have to be realistic and realise that crowds of 3200 ( full house ) can only bring in a certain amount of funds compared to larger venues and therefore I don’t see any improvement this season or future seasons. We will have to settle for being an average team in a very average league.

jenks33

Instead we stuck with those same players that seem to turn up in the lesser games and go missing in the big games…. Maybe they are the real issue?
It’s both for me. We’ve got too many players that will never guide us to a league title but I also wouldn’t want carruth back.

I'd suggest by begging Mac carruth to return this summer, signing a brand new first line and building around a solid defensive core and some physicality.

As far as the remainder of this season goes, rip the c off Richardson's shirt, and the a's off Martin, Cox and duggan. None of them appear to provide any on ice leadership.
Spot on enough enough.That was demoralizing loss like heart been ripped out of this year team.Time for changes to get ready for next season,

kingmo19.1

No surprises with tonight’s performance from us really. Let’s face it, our recruitment of players has been poor from day one for this season. Now, no doubt others will say that our budget does not allow us to bring in higher paid players that the likes of the Steelers are able to do which is a fair comment. We all know there is obviously no such thing as a wage cap in our league and bigger crowds ensure clubs can spend more on players. I’ve said before that the whole EIHL standard has dropped over the last few years. We have to be realistic and realise that crowds of 3200 ( full house ) can only bring in a certain amount of funds compared to larger venues and therefore I don’t see any improvement this season or future seasons. We will have to settle for being an average team in a very average league.
So probably wise to have made every penny count and not waste it unnecessarily on a pointless vanity re-branded logo and font !!!

Devil94

As a counter point: there's a chunk of this roster who have been in the league for a while and don't seem to be able to put in "no nights off" hockey. What's the difference in rolling the dice with someone else who might get it? When we know that these guys don't get it.

And pretty sure Giants won everything last season with a new team? I mean from the start of the season not Xmas - didn't they lose loads of quality players and replace them with better?
Well they kept Goodwin, Cooper and Conway, and that line did most of the work for them. They also had Lake, Hook, Soy and Long down the lines returning. In defence they had Ruopp, Garside, Baum returning, along with Whistle and a hot Besko later on in the year. I wouldn't call that a new team. They lost and added some good players sure, but far from an overhaul.

august04 2.0

Russell should be given the summer to recruit his roster. I hope we are a bit more cutthroat with that recruitment though. Aaron fox was seen as a bit of a joke before this season and now look at Sheffield. Russell definitely deserves a second season for me
I think that’s a little unfair on Aaron Fox. The guy held senior staff positions in the KHL and EBEL for 4 years and 3 years respectively. Hardly a joke figure really.

Rempel16

Appointing our 4th coach in the last 3.5 years sounds like the absolute worst way to go. As is having a complete clear out of players on the summer. Some changes of course, but about half of our roster are new from last summer.
A common criticism of this team is that players don't know what it takes to win the league and play game 7s every night. Well we get a whole new bunch of players to the league on next year and we have the same problem again. Any team that have won the league in the last decade have not done it after a big clear out, it's been built after a number of years.
I completely agree with you about a 4th coach so soon.

What I am struggling with is, is Russell being given time the right thing to do because there are shoots of what is to come? Or is he just being given time to avoid another summer of change?

The hockey is very passive, the tactics do not appear to be working, and most games are again very dull.

I’m torn between whether that’s because the recruitment is wrong or whether it’s the coaching.

MA18

Don’t forget those big arenas come my much bigger match night costs.

JD has sold never every inch of ice to sponsors, got a sponsor for the arena, the match night experience costs more (50/50, Chuck a puck, SOHB, food & drink), the fun factory next door is dropping cash in regularly.
We’ve got funds. Have we spent wisely?

I spoke to a current Devil at a bbq last summer and let’s just say he wasn’t a fan of carruth. And he wasn’t the only one. Let’s be honest he was such a quality goalie + he wanted to stay. Only reason he left was because he wasn’t popular with more than a few players. I don’t really care why he wasn’t popular, if half of my roster don’t like the guy there’s no way I’m keeping him. I’m not Kelman’s biggest fan but I’m 100% with him regarding carruth

Whether the team and hierarchy liked him or not, how many times did he concede 4 or more goals? Carruth took pride in what he done, what we have now can't be compared. Carruth seems like he won't take slackers and will call them out. Sometimes the truth hurts hence the unnecessary dislike to him.

It's accepted as the norm now with the mediocre goalies. Should have taken a gamble on Peyton Jones, Booth just wasn't given a chance and Wall has a few holes in it. Jones has made the ECHL All Star team already this season, surely that speaks volumes.

Big miss in D is Matt Register, may not be the big hitter or skater but he could read the game, create plays and close down attacks.

tim78

To be reasonable I think the league has already been won, the Devil's need to compete but stay injury free so I don't expect any really tough battle games between now and the CC comp. But that's 3 games we should be going for with full gusto.

Rempel16

It’s both for me. We’ve got too many players that will never guide us to a league title but I also wouldn’t want carruth back.
That’s fair enough.
i just wonder whether actually he wasn’t that bad… his teammates in Denmark seemed ok with having him back for a second year.

jenks33

I think that’s a little unfair on Aaron Fox. The guy held senior staff positions in the KHL and EBEL for 4 years and 3 years respectively. Hardly a joke figure really.
Well 9 fan bases were laughing at Sheffield last summer when they didn’t sack Fox. Even Sheffield fans wanted him gone. I don’t think it’s unfair to say he was lucky to still be Steelers coach this season after an underwhelming reign so far. Until this season of course.

tim78

In fairness Sheffield this season seemed to have a much bigger send, I'm sure Simpson and Allen were on the the 4th line tonight.