Devils Vs steelers - CC 1/4F - 14th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO - Part 2 Spectacular

TL91

Yes they are dire compared to our previous teams, very dire, shouldn't be comparing our team against competitors, it should be against our team in previous seasons.
I’d argue we should compare ourselves to other teams as that’s who we’re competing against to win the league, not past Devils teams. Do appreciate that a previous Devils team (or more consistent present team) in place this season would, however, likely be in a better place in the current league standings.

hip check

Just had a look at the table and we're in 4th with 30 points 22games, Steelers 3rd with 32 points 21games and giants 5th with 26 Points 21games. After reading some of the comments in this thread about the teams performances which admittingly are not brilliant and seriously need to improve and very quickly but the interesting thing for me is the amount of games each team has lost, devils 6 Steelers 4 and giants 8 so are the Devils really as dire as certain people are making out??. I agree it's not been the best season so far and I think we'll finish between 3rd and 5th but Steelers and especially the giants are not prolific either, just my thoughts
As a spectacle it's not very compelling, I like to watch a team busting a gut.
Even when we get a win I don't go home feeling pumped and when we lose quite often we go down with a whimper and I feel frustrated why we're not at least banging a few bodies so our opponents know they've been in a game.
I don't see the fire in the belly like many a Devil's team previously, I can take a defeat but not a team rolling over without some hwyl.

Samael

I’d argue we should compare ourselves to other teams as that’s who we’re competing against to win the league, not past Devils teams. Do appreciate that a previous Devils team (or more consistent present team) in place this season would, however, likely be in a better place in the current league standings.
Agree with this. I don't see the point in going on about previous devils teams and comparing them to where we are now. Surely looking at the competition, how they are playing and the types of players they have signed is more productive?

lloyd_jeff

It’s unsurprising that this seasons figures are very similar with more goals against, we’ve all commented on why this would happen before the start & will continue to throughout the season. If we’d improved on those who didn’t show up last season & kept those who’d performed we’d be walking this season. That’s why it’s so frustrating Todd, you messed up.

Finny

It’s unsurprising that this seasons figures are very similar with more goals against, we’ve all commented on why this would happen before the start & will continue to throughout the season. If we’d improved on those who didn’t show up last season & kept those who’d performed we’d be walking this season. That’s why it’s so frustrating Todd, you messed up.
No you didn’t.
I know it’s hard to remember when you’ve had so many different accounts on here, but this account only joined in mid August. You barely posted for the first month and when you did it was to say you thought we were going to have an amazing season.
At no point did you suggest we’d be conceding more goals than last year. Your first criticism of any sort was about the decision to appoint DuPont and his assistant. And that was well into the season.

I really don’t understand why you spend so much of your time on here pretending to be someone you’re not. Trying it once for kicks, ok. But you’re now on at least your third account and probably more.
Why?
Don’t you have anything more enjoyable in your life?

Finny

Yes they are dire compared to our previous teams, very dire, shouldn't be comparing our team against competitors, it should be against our team in previous seasons.
Very difficult and unfair to compare this team to previous Devils teams IMO. Things change over time.

For a start we now have a wage cap. So we’re spending less than we did in the last three seasons pre-COVID.
The UK is also in a worse position economically. The £ is worth less and so an AHL quality player will cost more in £s now than it would have pre-COVID and pre-Brexit.

On paper at the start of the season I didn’t see much between the supposed Big 4. And I certainly didn’t look at Guildfor’s roster and think “Wow they are going to be the team to stop”.

We had a lot of returning players (who usually cost more) and the new players were all pretty experienced. Ultimately a couple of players who are probably some of the bigger earners aren’t yet producing what they did last year or what we were expecting from the new players.

Having said that, there were some better performances last night from a couple of players who I’d have down as underperforming. And as I always do in these kind of discussions have to bring up Layne Ulmer. He was massively criticised on here during his first couple of months and lots of calls for him to be replaced. But he stayed, his form turned after Xmas and he was one of our best players over the following seasons.

voth26

So how far do you want to go back seasons wise, I said we've had many below par performances. My point was that apart from the flames every other team is mediocre

Kevlar68

I'm not going way back I'm only talking past 2-3 seasons. Our play is dire compared to them, we look very erratic, lack of tactics, no composure, it's seems to be very messy and scrappy and no passion.
That again is only as I see the game others may think we're playing well but unlucky to lose.

Last edited: