Devils Vs Stars - League - 4th March 23 - 19:00 FO

E.D.S.

It concerns me that we couldn't break a team like Dundee down. We looked clueless. We don't create enough good chances against a team like this. Take the first goal.... it only came about because Martin cleverly blocked the Stars D man so Sanford could skate right through. Time after time we try this move where our players try and deke their way through and it doesn't work. It was only because of Martins tactics that Sanford had an opportunity. It so easy to defend against normally.
Jardine goes hunting when he shouldn't be for the Stars first goal. Whilst he's out of position there is absolutely no one stepping in to cover him. Team D is poor. Crandall nor Penny are working hard to get back. Bowns is then left 1 on 1.
Their second goal both Jardine and Richardson are too soft and light on D. They win the face off and the guy in front of the night shouldn't even be able to get his stick on the ice but he rolls Ritchie easily.
We score a great second from Penny but never looked like pushing on. The third came and there was hope but then what.... we conceded straight away, another lost face off, Batch getting bullied. Just basics. The fourth Bowns could do nothing about but another lost face-off.

On the plus side. Joey Martin has come into his own this last couple of months. Moving nicely up the points charts but leading on the ice. His work rate is superb.

Harsh to blame Bowns for much of that last night especially considering an outstanding display in the shoot out.

Wannabe2

Just seen the highlights how shocking bowns actually is is beyond me 4 poxy goals in at home
Just to reply about 4 poxy goals at home, now no one likes that but check this out, these are goals conceeded at home it’s very surprising.
Flames 5 x4 2x6
Devils 4x4 3x5
Blaze 4x4. 2x5
Storm 1x4. 4x5. 1x6. 1x9
Panthers 5x4. 3x5. 2x6
Steelers 5x4. 1x5
Giants 4x4. 1x5
Now that means all teams have lousy netminders, Bownsy actually had a very good game last night, highlights show Jack all really.

moggy#9

It concerns me that we couldn't break a team like Dundee down. We looked clueless. We don't create enough good chances against a team like this. Take the first goal.... it only came about because Martin cleverly blocked the Stars D man so Sanford could skate right through. Time after time we try this move where our players try and deke their way through and it doesn't work. It was only because of Martins tactics that Sanford had an opportunity. It so easy to defend against normally.
Jardine goes hunting when he shouldn't be for the Stars first goal. Whilst he's out of position there is absolutely no one stepping in to cover him. Team D is poor. Crandall nor Penny are working hard to get back. Bowns is then left 1 on 1.
Their second goal both Jardine and Richardson are too soft and light on D. They win the face off and the guy in front of the night shouldn't even be able to get his stick on the ice but he rolls Ritchie easily.
We score a great second from Penny but never looked like pushing on. The third came and there was hope but then what.... we conceded straight away, another lost face off, Batch getting bullied. Just basics. The fourth Bowns could do nothing about but another lost face-off.

On the plus side. Joey Martin has come into his own this last couple of months. Moving nicely up the points charts but leading on the ice. His work rate is superb.

Harsh to blame Bowns for much of that last night especially considering an outstanding display in the shoot out.
When I saw the Sanford goal I did wonder whether there was a risk of interference being called against Martin, but there wasn't really anywhere for him to go.

Hedd Wyn John

Despite us being poor it was a great come back and we’re now 4 wins in 5.

Even though I didn’t think there was much in it, Bowns was laid out for 5 minutes. No reaction from the bench or the players. Just shows we’re a group of individuals and not a team.

Also strange thought both goalie should've MOM on 4-4 game.

Would love Dow or Barriga at the Devils next season. Both have impressed me every time I’ve seen them this year.
Great come back but we shouldn't be struggling against Dundee at home. That win is simply papering over the cracks.

MA18

You also said how ‘shocking Bowns is and that he conceded 4 poxy goals at home’…nothing he could do with any of those goals last night, he played a blinder as well and has done for weeks in fairness.
He’s definitely on a good/better run of form however he was poor for two if not three of the goals last night.
Recovered well to make some big saves throughout the game and especially during the shoot out.

Ocko

Are our expectations too high? I watch most games on webcast these days so a lot of the emotion is taken away but at this point of the season, a win’s a win right?

We have more fights than any team in the league by a mile so there’s clearly a togetherness.

We are also right in the mix. I don’t think we will win the league but I think we will take it to the wire, surely that’s all you can ask at the beginning of the season. No shame in narrowly missing out to one of two very established teams in Belfast and Guildford. Belfast who have spent ridiculous amounts of money and signed 167 imports to only actually be one win better.

I think the hockey that people expect to see is a thing of the past and long gone. 4 line hockey, Olympic sized ice and expanded O-zones has made it a game of chess with neutral zone traps rather than the fun run and gun of era of the BBT and WNIR.

kettdevil1

Are our expectations too high? I watch most games on webcast these days so a lot of the emotion is taken away but at this point of the season, a win’s a win right?

We have more fights than any team in the league by a mile so there’s clearly a togetherness.

We are also right in the mix. I don’t think we will win the league but I think we will take it to the wire, surely that’s all you can ask at the beginning of the season. No shame in narrowly missing out to one of two very established teams in Belfast and Guildford. Belfast who have spent ridiculous amounts of money and signed 167 imports to only actually be one win better.

I think the hockey that people expect to see is a thing of the past and long gone. 4 line hockey, Olympic sized ice and expanded O-zones has made it a game of chess with neutral zone traps rather than the fun run and gun of era of the BBT and WNIR.
100% agree. I think the frustration this year is that, at times, we look a class apart from any other team but that will be followed by a lukewarm performance and the lack of bite on our PP is a major flaw.

With just over a month to go in the season we are right in the mix and at this stage, with a rookie coach, recruitment which hasn't quite worked and a team that is not yet the finished article, will do for me.

I tend to go to away rather than home games (and try to avoid commenting on games I haven't seen....) so can't say much about the entertainment provided at the IAW but bar a couple of insipid performances at the NIC, I have generally felt entertained by games this year and whilst there are things about this team I would definitely change for next year, the fact that we are so close to Belfast (who might have started slowly but have been superb for the last few months) is pretty impressive.

As you say, hockey nowadays is more akin to chess, which is a shame as I love old time hockey but.... it's not going to change.

kettdevil1

in fairness, i think Bowns had a good game, more performances like that and he keeps a spot next season, but not the automatic number one, he competes for that.
He has been good for some time for me. I always feel that with Bowns, the more he plays, the better he gets so the swapping around isn't always great for him.

Will be a big call next season as to what we do with NMs

BostonBart22

He has been good for some time for me. I always feel that with Bowns, the more he plays, the better he gets so the swapping around isn't always great for him.

Will be a big call next season as to what we do with NMs
Yes we need to build from the back with a SOLID defence then the forwards will be sorted I'm sure , but Defence is main priority imo...