Devils Vs Stars - League - 3rd April 24 - FO 19:30

kettdevil1

Not sure you are in the minority. As hockey evolves I think more and more penalty discipline comes into it. Two of the stars goals came off hooking penalties. Two of the Devils goals came from power plays off penalties. Dundee lost that game when their discipline crumbled. Cardiff's first power play came from Crandall holding his discipline in the face of roughing, which in turn led to a goal. Stand up for each other yes. But you have to be smart about it. It can win you games.

Don't think the referees helped last night and noticed the Dundee coach wandered around towards the referees changing rooms after the game.
Agree on this. I have made the point before that we are the most penalised team in the league (with Sheffield the least) and adding someone whose primary function is as a tough guy does not seem to make sense. We seemed to stand up to the physical aspect of the game well last night and as you say, it was our discipline that led to several goals. It was the Lawless approach of "you don't win games from the penalty box"

Have Hope#35

If getting a big guy means we end up with someone like Pouilot or Sol then I'll pass thanks! Brandt and Batch are more than capable of looking after themselves and even against a tough Dundee team we had the upper hand in all things physical. People have talked about us being bullied in the past but sometimes you just have to let things go for the betterment of the game/scoreline (and I love a scrap).

Unfortunately, the level of officiating this season seems to stand out as being particularly poor. There's absolutely no reason to stop the Phelan and Batch tilt and everyone knows (including the officials) that if you are going to step in then it should never just be one lino . Also, if you cant see the two hander to the back of Bens legs off the face, then what are you watching?

BostonBart22

I’m probably in the minority but I don’t see the need for a big tough player. The only ones I can think of in the EIHL this season and they’re Sean Allen, Cody Sol, Dyson Stevenson and Xavier Pouliot. They all have been less than effective in my opinion
Wouldn't say cody sol would be effective as much as brandt, he always chirps but never backs it up like brandt,

ASHIPP

Don't need a player who fights every time. Big Lou was the ideal modern game enforcer..a good defenceman and also a gigantic, menacing player who patrolled and policed opposition misdemeanours. They always knew he was there. Although in his last couple of seasons, the need for Lou to be physical became less and less. Was that under coach's instructions, or the changing style of the modern game?

Last edited:

august04 2.0

My gut feeling is that there have been more retaliatory fights/penalties this year, in response to a provocation, which may go some way to explaining our higher penalty minutes this year. Maybe we didn’t get so many cheap shots from opponents in years gone by, when we had the likes of Louis to act as some level of deterrent. Brandt gives everything and kudos to him for that, but he’s not a deterrent in the way that Louis was. Could explain why Sheffield are the least penalised - they’ve got some tough cookies as well as being the most skilled by a mile. I think there’s still room next year for a tougher presence on our team.

Diablo3

That gets said every summer. We never get one. Unfortunately the clubs philosophy is such that I don't we'll ever get one.
I'm not so sure this time. everyone thought we were moving away from the tough guy players before this season, yet most of the teams ended up with at least one if not two. I wouldn't be surprised if we did get someone to fit that mould.