Devils Vs Panthers - League - 29th Jan 22

jenks33

Great win. Fair play we look like a very good team at the moment. I know it’s been said numerous times but Coughler and McNulty have added so much to this team. Not just those two though, our stars are playing with swagger and our unsung heroes like Duggan and Ben Davies are in great form. I thought Ollie Hampson made a good point towards the end of the game when he said our goalies are playing well but they haven’t had to be fantastic of late. Earlier this season we were picking up victories but Carruth had to stand on his head most games. We should go to Belfast with plenty of confidence

Wannabe2

That was a really good game tonight, we are looking very very good, I like every player in this team and they are playing as a team. Couldn’t make last night so this was my first IAW game in 8 weeks, and boy have I missed it. It’s all looking very good really like this team.

Devil94

I do find it quite amusing how quiet this thread is, and wondering where are all those posters who were very quick to jump on here earlier on in the season to give their opinions. Maybe a bit embarrassed with their comments regarding players and coach perhaps? Or maybe embarrassed to be proven wrong.

Anyway, the way this team have played this past month have played as well as any team under Lord, I think. If we can continue this way we will push Sheffield all the way, and in with a real chance at play offs. Not bad for a season that was apparently over in November.

Pope#42

What a weekend. After such a long time behind closed doors that felt like the perfect weekend to open the doors once again. Both games had absolutely everything you could wish for - and the bonus is a four point weekend. This team truly is exciting to watch - can’t wait for next weekend.

I do find it quite amusing how quiet this thread is, and wondering where are all those posters who were very quick to jump on here earlier on in the season to give their opinions. Maybe a bit embarrassed with their comments regarding players and coach perhaps? Or maybe embarrassed to be proven wrong.

Anyway, the way this team have played this past month have played as well as any team under Lord, I think. If we can continue this way we will push Sheffield all the way, and in with a real chance at play offs. Not bad for a season that was apparently over in November.
Lord era is in the past get over it!

Lord era is in the past get over it!

Anyway, the way this team have played this past month have played as well as any team under Lord, I think. If we can continue this way we will push Sheffield all the way, and in wi

Last edited:

James

Administrator
Thread starter #36
I think our only hope of the league now is if our ability to keep playing whilst other teams were in covid protocols pay off as other teams tire or gain injury due to the schedule.

Don’t think we will take the league, although it’s not over till it’s over, but I wouldn’t bet against us taking the Challenge cup, and the play offs. When we play as we can we are a good bet against anyone.
Belfast and Sheffield still have to play each other five times, the league ain’t over yet

Devils86

So, can't remember my last post on a game. But the difference between this side and that of a few weeks ago is astounding. And I can't put it down to one thing or player.

Sandford - has got back in the groove of early season.

Cox - for me was not firing quite on all cylinders a few weeks back but has come back on all fronts! Physical, goals, plays.

Both of the above seem to have been re-invigorated by the arrival of Coughler and the ability for both to go back to their natural game rather than Cox having to play center. So many times Cox is the man providing the long stretch route for D on the break.

Batch and McNulty have really stepped up. When I commented on his first game I criticized McNulty and said he would need to improve exponentially - well he has done really well. He uses his body well without throwing big hits. Great stick work. Batch has been another level this year.

Louis, Mikelson and Richardson have been delivering at a high level that we come to expect but somehow Register has stepped up his game in recent weeks both in D and when getting forward. His point output has increased to the level I had hoped/expected at the start of the season - but what has impressed me most is his ability to read the opponents' attack and to come away with the puck 9 times out of 10. So good all round.

Brandt a great addition, keep doing what he's doing. Same with McNally. Dixon has been quiet in the last couple games by his standards but still gives his all.

But my final words go to the line I have criticized many times this year as being ineffective - the Brit line. (Or a combination of Brit's and Lammon) Since Davies has come back to the center on that line it has taken off! Speed, skill and big hits. A few weeks back when I was thinking about who I would not keep next season I included Davies but he has been brilliant the last couple of weeks.

This current side, if it had been playing like this from early in the season, would be challenging the Steelers rather than 5 games adrift. It will take a monumental effort to get back into the title race but this side looks much more able to win against the Steelers or Giants than even a few weeks back.

Almost as if we went through our transition season in the months before the turn of the year.

Final note: Mrs Devils86 when asked who was her MotM...."BOC didn't make a single mistake" which was a bit cheeky!

In any event it seems that those that didn't like the Lord style have got a bit more bite in this side, plus we retain some high end skill and speed.

If only you could add Martin, Fournier and Haddad to this roster...but we'd need to play 4 lines for that. We can but dream!

Wannabe2

Spot on Chris your right on the button, as I said it ain’t over till it’s over and we live in hope, but the other 2 trophies we are starting from scratch and we are hitting our prime at the moment. But you are so correct and we are all with you.

Good post, three pages for a Fife win and two so far for the Nottingham win, no doubt 12 pages + if we would have lost any of these games. Some people just don‘t like us winning