Devils Vs Panthers - 17 Nov 18 - League

Wannabe2

Well played lads a great win against a very good team, looks like our boys are back on track, and showing that you don’t become a bad team overnight. Plenty of determination, effort, passion and skill tonight. Big hats off to the fans think they also played their part, when we play like that it generates so much feel good emotions in us all, Bownsy had a belter, so nice to see Young Sam showing what’s to come, too many good features to mention them all, and but for a first class display by Garnet the score most certainly would have been greater. So thanks for a great night, more of the same tonight please, surely more poetry in motion to come.
Happy Hockey Days.

Ocko

How we’ve missed Justin Faryna.

Great game, thoroughly entertaining and I think we were well worth the two points.

Still a long was to go until we really discover our form, but we got by on our work ethic and matching Nottingham as much as we could in the physical battles. I think the type of team Nottingham have recruited in terms of their physicality is the team every fan in the league longs for.

I thought Batch was once again excellent. Last season as a forward has really done him wonders for his puck carrying and confidence doing so. At the moment he is one of the best British D in the country.

Oh and the corners of the clock being filled in is nothing short of beautiful.

jimmy snels

for me the crowd responded to a more committed team. a team getting stuck in. listen to the noise when farayna got involved straight away with lepine. i dont care what anyone says that is essential to a devils crowds interaction and in the last month no one has been stepping up even whem they should have been. in his first game back from injury a MIDDLE weight takes on their biggest guy when they started getting physical with us!! it makes hell of a difference and the rest of the team responded as well as the crowd. we need these guys on our roster and last night proved it.

well done team more of the same please

august04

for me the crowd responded to a more committed team. a team getting stuck in. listen to the noise when farayna got involved straight away with lepine. i dont care what anyone says that is essential to a devils crowds interaction and in the last month no one has been stepping up even whem they should have been. in his first game back from injury a MIDDLE weight takes on their biggest guy when they started getting physical with us!! it makes hell of a difference and the rest of the team responded as well as the crowd. we need these guys on our roster and last night proved it.

well done team more of the same please
Faryna is made of strong stuff. After all his injuries, he does that last night - quite incredible really. The problem is, he needs help. He can’t be the only one stepping up in that way (and without him, nobody else does it really), otherwise he’s going to get injured again and again. For me, I hope the club bear that in mind and get someone in who can take care of business too and ease the burden on Faryna a little.

Rich Best

Faryna is made of strong stuff. After all his injuries, he does that last night - quite incredible really. The problem is, he needs help. He can’t be the only one stepping up in that way (and without him, nobody else does it really), otherwise he’s going to get injured again and again. For me, I hope the club bear that in mind and get someone in who can take care of business too and ease the burden on Faryna a little.
Nobody else does it? You must watch a different team to me. Louis is almost always game and will take on anyone in this league, and perhaps in any league. I think he has been told (rightly so) to avoid getting involved the last few games when we have been short on D, but that is just common sense.

Why do many on here (seemingly) not appreciate the role Louis plays for the team from a 'tough guy' point of view?

Batch has also proved over the years that he will step up when he has to. Not the type who goes looking, but he has and will step up if he needs to.

Anyway, we have pretty much proven that less fights (and penalties) equals more trophies, so as much as I like the rough stuff I am 100% behind the teams strategy in this respect.

Wannabe2

Louis is certainly someone who will answer the bell, he has shown that already and won’t back down to anyone, if the time is right he will fight.

august04

Nobody else does it? You must watch a different team to me. Louis is almost always game and will take on anyone in this league, and perhaps in any league. I think he has been told (rightly so) to avoid getting involved the last few games when we have been short on D, but that is just common sense.

Why do many on here (seemingly) not appreciate the role Louis plays for the team from a 'tough guy' point of view?

Batch has also proved over the years that he will step up when he has to. Not the type who goes looking, but he has and will step up if he needs to.

Anyway, we have pretty much proven that less fights (and penalties) equals more trophies, so as much as I like the rough stuff I am 100% behind the teams strategy in this respect.
I definitely watch a different game to you!
Nobody else on the team does it like Faryna. Louis and Batch are both capable of doing it, no doubt about that but if they did every week like Faryna does, we wouldn’t have so many fans crying out for more physicality, would we? And I absolutely appreciate what Louis brings to this team. I spent most of last season defending the bloke, when others on here were criticising his form. He’s one of the best stay at home D men in the league for me and too valuable to be sat in the penalty box sitting out fighting majors, when we’re still a bit lacking in defence.

Last edited:
Apologies for repeating a lot of what has already been said here...

But what a fabulous performance from the lads there! It was a huge response to our run of bad form, and will surely give the boys a jolt of confidence to get back into winning ways. I don't think a title finish is off the cards at all.

I felt like they clicked from the word go last night. The passes were cleaner, the shooting was on point and the energy was at another level. One thing that really bothered me from the devils side of the last few games was the lazy long passes from behind the net. The wingers would be half way up the ice whilst the D lugged a huge pass up the boards, that would either get intercepted or missed. Last night the wingers were where they should be, on the hashmarks breaking out as a unit with speed and pace. Absolutely the right stuff.

I'm not going to go on about Faryna more than whats already been said. The lack of atmosphere is down to the teams performance. You can do a lot as a fan, but you can't fake enthusiasm. The boys hitting hard with good forechecking, the fight, the skill of the play and Bowns' performance, that lit up the building! And thats how our atmosphere will be, the fans are there and do a great job, but the team have to bring that energy. I thought that fight was so important tonight, and hope other of the big fellas follow suit for the next games. It does make a difference. At the end of the game I bashed on the glass and gave my appreciation to Bryce, who I thought had a great game. Seeing him smile was nice, considering some of the s**t he gets on social media.

Theres more to be done, but this is the quality that will win us the league. I'm so proud of the boys now. Seeing Justin grab that jersey after his fight, I nearly burst into tears whilst screaming from block 18!

On a side note, thank you to the girl behind who would chant with me! I was surrounded by a group of people who I think were new to the devils, apologies if I shouted your ears off!

Rich Best

I definitely watch a different game to you!
Nobody else on the team does it like Faryna. Louis and Batch are both capable of doing it, no doubt about that but if they did every week like Faryna does, we wouldn’t have so many fans crying out for more physicality, would we? And I absolutely appreciate what Louis brings to this team. I spent most of last season defending the bloke, when others on here were criticising his form. He’s one of the best stay at home D men in the league for me and too valuable to be sat in the penalty box sitting out fighting majors, when we’re still a bit lacking in defence.
If you are talking about high energy, hitting, hassling and harrassing no one is better than faryna at that I agree. However, I thought every single one of the guys stepped up in that respect last night. Hedden, Dixon and Linglet very much brought that side of their game and haddad and pope also stepped up the physical side of their game.

The energy and intensity has been lacking recently. We saw it in abundance in the CHL. Good to see it back last night. Bring that every night and we will be unstoppable. We have the team to win, again.

jimmy snels

louis will fight when required and always stand up, but for me batch doesnt now days to be honest, no slight on his play that as he's been playing fantastically on D.
The point really is that you could name only 3 people on a devils roster who could even be capable of getting involved is scary. if your short of Dmen and 2 of them play D its not a great scenario when it gets tough. I think we missed farayna immeasurably due to the squad make up.
I agree i hope the management take note for next season and see how much better we are with a harder nosed game and a rocking crowd, especially from an Entertainment point of view

Wannabe2

We all know the days of the one dimensional player is numbered, whether that’s good or bad is a matter of opinion, but take too much Physicality out of the game, and you do that at your peril. The game in Britain is loved for many things, but hitting, fighting and playing tough is as high on the list as anything, awesome passing, amazing skating, great goals, and saves are as good as anything in this sport, but the tough physical side will always be high on the British fans agenda. What we experienced last night with that warrior Faryna will never ever be replaced in the hearts of UK fans, all thru history we have been a handful on the battlefield, it’s the British Way.

Temme

A very entertaining game Saturday night, was a delight to see. Nottingham are a bloody big team.

Wasn't the cleanest of performances by any stretch of the imagination, i thought we struggled a little bit transitioning and our zone exits were a little weak, but with Reddick missing a good few shifts due to a blocked shots I guess that may be a reason.

Made a friendly bet with those around me that Faryna would charge after someone in the 1st period - game vs Nottingham (something ALWAYS seems to happen), return from injury, sellout crowd, it was inevitable really.

Martin's OT goal was absolutely beautiful & huge credit to Bowns for matching what was a great performance from Garnett at the other end.

We didn't 'click' like we were earlier on this year, but a gritty 4 point weekend means we can't complain. The sooner that extra guy is brought in the better for me, we have some banged up bodies on the roster at the minute & another midweek game this week isn't going to allow a great deal of rest.

bb1

If you are talking about high energy, hitting, hassling and harrassing no one is better than faryna at that I agree. However, I thought every single one of the guys stepped up in that respect last night. Hedden, Dixon and Linglet very much brought that side of their game and haddad and pope also stepped up the physical side of their game.

The energy and intensity has been lacking recently. We saw it in abundance in the CHL. Good to see it back last night. Bring that every night and we will be unstoppable. We have the team to win, again.
I have to say that our performance was a lot better but as for every guy stepping up.....I completely disagree. Dixon, Faryna, Duggan, Reddick all gave their all. Haddad was superb but still doesnt look 100% as hes been quiet physically.

I said this the other day but Pope seems like hes here for an easy ride and everyone in my block is saying the same thing so I cant be the only one. The guy can be a beast but has to be the laziest player since Jeff Pierce! Bundles of talent but zero intensity, hitting or effort half of the time (for a power forward (which was described at the time of his signing). He needs to step up big time and take note of the guys who are putting in more than his one shift a game. I hope Hedden steps it up a bit too as he like Pope has all the potential in the world. Hes tough as and can hit like a train when he wants too.

Temme

I said this the other day but Pope seems like hes here for an easy ride and everyone in my block is saying the same thing so I cant be the only one. The guy can be a beast but has to be the laziest player since Jeff Pierce! Bundles of talent but zero intensity, hitting or effort half of the time (for a power forward (which was described at the time of his signing). He needs to step up big time and take note of the guys who are putting in more than his one shift a game.
Personally i think this is down to his line - Martin is the playmaking puck carrying centerman, Benti is the fast footed skating winger that creates the space. Pope is stood waiting in said space.

I don't think Pope had a great game Saturday, nor do i think he is on his hottest form right now, but I couldn't call him lazy in this sense.

Regarding Hedden - same thing.
Chucky is the puck carrying guy
Dixon is the man making the space

Hedden is generally the man stood in the space.

The other scoring line is built around something different, and that is a combination of Ulmers IQ and Haddad's mindblowing puck possession work.

Kevlar68

Watched it on Icetime TV and thought it was a great game of hockey. Liked the fact the whistle wasn't being brought out for every little shove and the calls were pretty much spot on. There was a nice flow to the game and end to end with short periods of attacking play for each team in every period.
Great to see the guys on the up.

bb1

Personally i think this is down to his line - Martin is the playmaking puck carrying centerman, Benti is the fast footed skating winger that creates the space. Pope is stood waiting in said space.

I don't think Pope had a great game Saturday, nor do i think he is on his hottest form right now, but I couldn't call him lazy in this sense.

Regarding Hedden - same thing.
Chucky is the puck carrying guy
Dixon is the man making the space

Hedden is generally the man stood in the space.

The other scoring line is built around something different, and that is a combination of Ulmers IQ and Haddad's mindblowing puck possession work.
I kinda get what you mean but that's no excuse for me. He should still battle hard, throw some hits and step in for team mates when needed. Not seen any of that since he's been in Cardiff.

No matter what line you put Dixon, Faryna, Bentivoglio, Myers or Martin on they will give their all regardless. In the words of Don Cherry those guys bring tonnes of 'p#ss and vinegar'.

Pope does not and it's as he has bundles of talent and is a big strong guy.

I'd rather see a guy with less talent but tonnes of that p#ss and vinegar!

A la.....Bryce Reddick on D.