Devils vs MANCHESTER - 30th December -7:30 PM Chat/Updates

Skippy

Thread starter #1

End your year right with some Hockey and a chance to see Ex Devil Devin Didiomete in our penalty box just like old times :D

Devils Web cast as always here http://www.icetime.tv/

We will be running the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' Match Night Live service for this game as always expect name calling, slurs and bad jokes about keepers not being able to stop beach balls in epic proportions, at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Texters are always needed so if you can help us out please get in touch by PM or text the MNL line on 07527 625206

Martynwo

Re: Devils vs MANCHESTER - 30th December -7:30 PM Chat/Updat

Looks like Dideomete will be banned for Wednesday, shame was looking forward to a pantomime appearance from him

Finny

Just 25 tickets left for tonight's game, and only 2 of them are seats.

Finny said:
Just 25 tickets left for tonight's game, and only 2 of them are seats.
Down to 20 standing only! Looks like it's gonna be a sell out at this rate

voth26

Without stating the obvious we need another 2 points tonight, looking at the league there are at least three teams, i think its giants, clan and the stars who if they win their 3/4 games in hand can go joint top we us on 41 points if we drop points!!.

Storm adding Scott McKenzie (Widnes Wild, NIHL N2), Adam Harding (Swindon Wildcats, EPL) & Chris Arnone (Blackburn Hawks, NIHL N1). Caria a doubt through injury, not sure if he'll play.

Vartel

Can anyone explain what happened in the third period and how the Storms goalie was able to ignore the ref ejecting him from the game?

Well the crowd was terrible tonight. Block 2 and 3 only made noise when there was pizza offered and once we started winning. Way to support your team guys.

Wannabe2

Stevie Wonder could have refereed that game better than that Moron tonight, he is so out of his depth it's untrue.

Foxy

aplzart said:
Well the crowd was terrible tonight. Block 2 and 3 only made noise when there was pizza offered and once we started winning. Way to support your team guys.
Plenty of other blocks not just down to 2 & 3 surely...........

A win is a win but boy did we play terrible......

jimmy snels

aplzart said:

Two way street. We started with intensity, crowd responded. What happened the next 30 minutes was terrible, no hits, awful passing and but for a couple of bowns great saves we could have been 4 down. Smith got sat for almost the whole 2nd period but that honestly should have been hotham who made so many basic errors it was untrue ( His goal in the 3rd was a screamer mind). When we picked it up in the 3rd the crowd picked up. They feed from each other. Easy to blame the fans i guess though.

*As for my other thoughts, the kurka martin doucet line looks likely to score a hatfull betweem now and the end of the season.
*Piggot is underutilised when we are playing poorly as he hits and at least offers energy.
*790 odd quid 50/50 is really good!!
*hogarth... i thought he wasnt doing to badly, if anything it was going in our favour...then WTF happened?! I've never seen someone back track throwing someone out of the game. Totally lost the plot.
*our third goal, unless hervato was seen to be pushed into the net by a storm player should never have been.
*we sometimes over pass it. Im not claiming to be the expert of hockey but if you have created a decent angle for yourself take the shot!

voth26

Well that was a rollercoaster ride of a game that's for sure. Seems like Devils for what ever reason didn't turn up in first period, then started to come into the game in 2nd and then took over in 3rd when the Storm by the look of it lost their discipline, reading on MNL thanks to the guys and texters at the games by the way, sounds like Hogarth lost it big time and bottled the biggest decision of the night. I would expect some sort of action taken by league for kalemba refusing to leave the ice!!. Oh well 2 important points ground out even if the performance wasn't the best

jenks33

aplzart said:
Is this a joke? We were losing to the bottom placed team for the majority of the game. I'm all for getting behind your team but the atmosphere was hardly going to be bouncing.

Another frustrating performance for me i'm afraid. I actually thought we came out of the blocks really well and god knows how we didnt score in the first 10 minutes. I think we were very unlucky to be 2-0 down after the first period and i fully expected us to work our way back into the game.

The second period was the big let down for me. I thought we would come out all guns blazing and bully Manchester but it was all a bit half hearted. They've possibly got the smallest team in the league and they were short handed but we showed them far too much sympathy. That's the third time we've played them at home this season and every time we've just let them play their game! If we played physical against them they wouldn't cope, simple as that

Third period was an improvement but it was a tricky one to judge with the penalties at the end. I'm sure it will be repeated on here numerous times but wow did Hogarth make a couple of clangers. The delay of game call on Doucet in the 2nd was a joke and as for the Kalempa incident words fail me!

One last thing - For everybody at the game tonight try and catch Todd Kelman's interview with John Donovan on icetime tv during the 2nd period break. This was the most frustrated i've seen Todd during his time here. I know we were losing 2-1 at the time so he was hardly going to be in a fantastic mood but he clearly isnt happy with things at the moment. Don't get me wrong, he was hardly losing it, but for me you could just tell that he was a bit fed up with members of this team at the moment

voth26 said:
I would expect some sort of action taken by league for kalemba refusing to leave the ice!!. Oh well 2 important points ground out even if the performance wasn't the best
I wouldn,t hold your breath, it is now open season on Hogarth players can just refuse to take a penalty then refuse to leave the ice when misconducts get called, this has got to be the end for him refereeing at this level, nobody can possibly take him seriously ever again.

Every catch of the puck is a hand pass wtf is all that about? must be a new league directive or their latest hobby horse or the one rule that Hogarth knows, not well though

Awful performance tonight against a much shorter bench, almost walked out when the Kalemba decision was overturned, madness! Nevertheless I will take the 2pts and quickly forget about this 60mins.

august04

That was a bit of a Christmas hangover, just glad to get out if the tent with 2 points. Great start but then an awful 2 periods from the Devils. Will the real Cardiff Devils please stand up!? If the funds are available, I'd like to see us bring in a big, physical, tough D-man (who ideally can play forward too and drop the gloves, not too much to ask is it?!). Even if Marsh comes back soon, there is no guarantee that he won't have some kind of reaction to that concussion and while Smith is solid enough, I think we need more if we want to push on and win this league.
Regarding the Kalemba incident - firstly, that guy is a disgrace throwing himself on the ice like he did to claim diving by the Devils player. Embarrassed himself and his team. I'm sure I saw Hogarth make at least 2 misconduct signs in his direction but I genuinely think he didn't know whether you could throw a goalie out of the game, so completely backtracked and took the easy way out by calling a two minute minor. He bottled it, simple as that - that was refereeing at its weakest, he's simply not up to the job at the moment.

voth26

jodysstillagirlsname said:
voth26 said:
I would expect some sort of action taken by league for kalemba refusing to leave the ice!!. Oh well 2 important points ground out even if the performance wasn't the best
I wouldn,t hold your breath, it is now open season on Hogarth players can just refuse to take a penalty then refuse to leave the ice when misconducts get called, this has got to be the end for him refereeing at this level, nobody can possibly take him seriously ever again.

Every catch of the puck is a hand pass wtf is all that about? must be a new league directive or their latest hobby horse or the one rule that Hogarth knows, not well though
Yep I think your right, the league won't do Bugger all and as for hogarth think your right, think it's back to the lower levels for him. God help who ever he ends up Reffing in the future poor buggers. Or he could get promoted to top ref in the entire league :DWD

Mooney#16

I would refer to that as a game Manchester lost rather than Devils won but it's also two points in the bag so job done.

Devils seemed to come out like a rocket and when they hadn't scored within five minutes got frustrated and started trying to be to flashy. The offensive zone entry fell to pieces and was one dimensional and for some reason the D got the green light to pinch which was a faux pas and lead to first goal. The offensive zone work was very peripheral and needed a two man crash to net of the point shots as rebounds were there but not the players to put it home as we seemed to want to serve up the back post one timer most of the time with that guy staying outside instead of in.

Manchester had a great second period and completely out worked the Devils to maintain there lead but before the third I though they would tire and open the door for Devils to win which the did if not more through Kalemba's head going rather than their legs. I did actually think the third goal was legit as Kalemba's second effort on the save was none existent and that didn't then make the case for goalie interference.

Credit the Devils however for playing the full sixty to get the win in a professional manner and continue gaining the points needed for success. Not great. Didn't need to be. No a problem for me.

One consideration is though as a form of excuse of any team in the league who would give Devils trouble it's not a surprise its Storm. They know how to play that pad. They knew how to execute there trap defence very well for the smaller pad and especially there PP looked good which isn't a shock given they are as accustomed to the smaller pad as Devils. Just saying there is more to it than simply well that was crap against the leagues bottom club. It was what it needed to be if we're honest.

voth26

august04 said:
That was a bit of a Christmas hangover, just glad to get out if the tent with 2 points. Great start but then an awful 2 periods from the Devils. Will the real Cardiff Devils please stand up!? If the funds are available, I'd like to see us bring in a big, physical, tough D-man (who ideally can play forward too and drop the gloves, not too much to ask is it?!). Even if Marsh comes back soon, there is no guarantee that he won't have some kind of reaction to that concussion and while Smith is solid enough, I think we need more if we want to push on and win this league.
Regarding the Kalemba incident - firstly, that guy is a disgrace throwing himself on the ice like he did to claim diving by the Devils player. Embarrassed himself and his team. I'm sure I saw Hogarth make at least 2 misconduct signs in his direction but I genuinely think he didn't know whether you could throw a goalie out of the game, so completely backtracked and took the easy way out by calling a two minute minor. He bottled it, simple as that - that was refereeing at its weakest, he's simply not up to the job at the moment.
I'm sure we had someone like that play for us a few seasons ago granted only for 20 odd games, think his name was Biznasty or something like that ;)