Devils vs Giants Sunday 12th 6pm. Chat/Updates

Koop11

Best performance on home ice this season. Yes ideally we should be winning our home games but Belfast look outstanding on the puck. They move it so well and have so much pace. Not many teams will take points from games against Belfast this season and that is why they are currently top of the league.

I thought our penalty kill was awesome. Whilst Belfast were able to dog us into our own blue line, unlike we could on our PP, we still kept our shape well and gave them very little. The fundamental difference was the fact we worked. We were first to the puck and throwing the body. When we do that we can compete with anyone. The frustrating thing this season is that we have not been doing that at home. Last night we finally did. Its up to the coaching staff and leaders in the team to enforce that pressure game in game out now. No more half performances.

Aubs played his best game of the season and was no doubt a contender for MoM. Having Voth back really inspired the team and he looked frightening with every hit he threw. Really pleased to have our captain back. Phil Hill has really stepped up this season. Everyone has talked about Pripich, Campbell and Silverthorne this year but shift for shift I think Phil Hill has been outstanding. He’s working both end of the rink, finishing his checks and used on all the special teams. 10 points in 12 games already this year. Keep that up Phil.

Most enjoyable game at home so far this season. We’ve played a very impressive team in Belfast with 2 imports down. Hopefully now with the new guy coming in this week we may actually have full quota this weekend. I hope Campbell injury isn’t bad enough to keep him out any longer. Groin injuries though are really hard to shift. Lets hope he’s a good healer.

Wannabe2

Fantastic game of hockey tonight, against probably the most offensive team in the league, and we matched them play for play. Best game of the season by a long shot, and very unlucky not to have taken both points, but thats us at the moment. My man of the match tonight was Aubs, who had a supreme game, and pulled of one save he did not under any circumstances have the right to save. Phil Hill had a stonker, and is so improved and thats great to see, as he has what it takes to be a very good player, Lappys goal was pure class, what a diamond we have in him his vision and stickhandling were superb, and the little guy wants to hit anything that moves, if he was 6ft 4 he would be a demolition man. Captain Fantastic was just that again 500% effort, this man brings so much to our team, nailing anything and completing 6 marathons with the ice he covers. Prpich again showing just how good he is, and theres more to come. Personnaly i think the team are turning things around now, we missed Campbell tonight as this game would have suited him big time. If and when we return to a full squad, with a few tweaks here and there, i believe that in 2 to 3 weeks time we will be ready for anyone, and that will be great news for the best fans in the league. Finally that collision between Vother and Prpich, how big was that, they must have heard the noise down in Adamsdown. Thanks for a great night lads keep up the good work.
HAPPIER HOCKEY DAYS.

What a difference a week makes! Last night just went to show what a big play or two can do for your team.

For me two events changed the game, Aubrys big save, imagine what would have happend if that one went in and MacIvers fight. Also, the confidence players like Silver showed having Voth back on the ice was evident.

Every player, except one, skated, hit and played like it was their last game. Special mention to Latullipe and Hill also, I hope Hill realises that he can really affect a game by hitting and hitting often. I think G was right that this could be Hills breakout season as his play this year has been very good. Man of the match for me was a choice between Aubry and Hill.

I know Belfast had three games in 4 days (they do that in the minors almost every week by the way), but take nothing away from our performance. If you have a fast passing team then disrupt them and hit everything that moves, they soon slow down......it worked for us after 10 minutes last night.

The best team lost which is a shame.

Last night was definately the best game of the season so far.

Only criticims i think would be

Hinks - didn't notice him apart from him taking a penalty shot
Latullipe - definalety a good player but i think last night shows why he only has one assist, he took his goal great, was a lovely deke, but then he had a couple of other chances where a pass was the better option but tried to do it himself.

I'm not really sure how Hartwick got man of the match either as i'm sure he was on the ice for all of Giants goals.

A

Anonymous

I thought it was a good game and a much better performance by the Devils. I wouldn't go over the top though - I know Belfast are top of the league but I really wasn't that impressed by them (mind you this was their 3rd game in 4 nights, which has always proved difficult for anybody). In fact, I don't think that there is an outstanding team in the league this season which makes the Devils recent poor form even more of a disappointment. Aubry played a great game, including a save which won't be bettered all season in the Elite League, and kept us in the game last night with other super saves. Will people get off his back now? We still get carved open far too easily in defence and allow the opposition too many shots unmolested from the slot - it's really not good enough in that area. There are a couple of D-men who I'm still unsure about but I hope that the new signing will improve things at the back. Latulippe played well last night but was a little greedy at times, especially the 2 on 1 where he should have passed (mind you, the other attacker was Hinks!). Can't fault the guys effort though, matched if not bettered by Phil Hill, who I thought had his best game for the Devils. Some strange coaching decisions (matching of the lines) where our 3rd line got totally outplayed on a few shifts (great effort at all times from them though, can't fault them for that) and the PP looked dire. Where was Prpich for the penalty shoot-out? Hinks' confidence must be so low, I would never have given him a penalty shot, not in a million years. Mind you, the other attempts weren't great either (although the ice was playing up then and the puck bobbling everywhere), we didn't really look like scoring.
A good point though, more than I was expecting and while I accept we were a couple of imports down, Belfast were understrength too. At the start of the season, we would be expecting to win most of our home games, including those against the likes of the Giants, so I'm not getting too excited that we competed at last and won a point. Hopefully, it's the start of the recovery though.

Something which I found infuriating in the game was the fact that everytime the Giants attacked they had a guy skate in on the far post completely unmarked. And for the whole game we never picked it up, if people in the crowd could see it why couldn't the players/coach see it and do something about it. I lost count how many times the puck went flying across the goal and almost contected up with the player coming in from the far side of the ice.

I admit we might not have the fastest defence and the Giants were a quick team but this was even happening when we had all our defence behind the puck when it wasn't a break away. It's almost like kids hockey/football where everyone gets sucked in towards the puck/football and one pass to the far post takes out the defence.

mazza03

It was my first game last night for obvious reasons and I only stayed for the first period, but in that period I thought our D was dire and our PP was worse, it must have improved after I left.

Dai Vader said:
Like i said, i don't know who the replacement is i just heard that Hinks was leaving, thats all i know. might be bull for all i know?
what! I thought he had gone home ,Where is he then ? there was someone skating in his shirt last night ,i thought it was the mascot ??